Confrence Call for First Quarter Results

It may not be all roses, but note despite the prediction by Claude, turnover was better, contributing to the increase in current subscribers. I'm not sure the Hopper was the only or even the primary reason but it certainly didn't hurt. At this point with no increase in price for awhile, Dish really is less expensive overall more than even before. With smaller packages for those who really need to watch the spending, those customers probably aren't going anywhere. But as I said not all roses as those customers aren't adding much to the revenue. Hopefully for Dish those who have the bigger programming packages also are staying. The obvious question is can they continue especially with less turnover.
Precisely...churn may be down in regard to subscribers not leaving, but how much "churn" is there in existing subscribers moving to lower packages? For instance, I recently did some cost cutting by $13/month by dropping the sports pack and the protection plan. It would be interesting to see the minute details of the subscriber base.

Precisely...churn may be down in regard to subscribers not leaving, but how much "churn" is there in existing subscribers moving to lower packages? For instance, I recently did some cost cutting by $13/month by dropping the sports pack and the protection plan. It would be interesting to see the minute details of the subscriber base.

I have to think that they grew because of retention. They were offering customers sweetheart deals to stay, and even Claude was saying that they were kicking the sub loss can down the road. Which makes sense if you can get a few quarters of growth it will keep your stock price inflated during that time. Allthough, they had the TIVO lawsuite last year where they saw an influx of cash, I think that was the only reason why they saw a drop in profits. Next quarter should tell us how dish is really doing and if Hopper is working.

Dont forget that the Hopper was not on sale for most of that quarter, so I wouldn't really consider the Hopper to be a major factor in those figures.

Next quarter will show how good the Hopper was for DISH.

Be sure and get them to comment at Team Summit on how happy (or not) they are with H/J adoption.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)