HOORAY! Escape from DISH in sight!

cyberized

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Beaverton, Oregon
I was among the 1st 700,000 to subscribe to DISH and was a Happy and Proud Customer for years.......I left for one year.....came back and am realy looking forward to leaving for GOOD after this 2 year contract expires - which will be in June. DISH to me has become almost COMCASTIC and both have become too expensive for me. Anyway, Thank God! - I read in our local paper this AM that they have approved Verizon to install Firber Optic cable in WA County here in Oregon and then start offering FIOS TV - possibly available late this year or early next. From what I have read so far - it appears their rates are about $20 cheaper for BIGGER packages to boot. Looking forward to phone, DSL, and TV - ALL from Verizon.:)

Congrats! But don't get over-confident...FiOS is three miles down the road for us and we probably won't see it for another 12-18 months...or so. The only hard-and-fast requirement is for Verizon to provide service to at least 60% of residents at the 7-year mark, and 80% at the 10-year mark. It's going to take several years to run all that fiber to the home.

Good luck!!!

I was among the 1st 700,000 to subscribe to DISH and was a Happy and Proud Customer for years.......I left for one year.....came back and am realy looking forward to leaving for GOOD after this 2 year contract expires - which will be in June. DISH to me has become almost COMCASTIC and both have become too expensive for me. Anyway, Thank God! - I read in our local paper this AM that they have approved Verizon to install Firber Optic cable in WA County here in Oregon and then start offering FIOS TV - possibly available late this year or early next. From what I have read so far - it appears their rates are about $20 cheaper for BIGGER packages to boot. Looking forward to phone, DSL, and TV - ALL from Verizon.:)

I've heard in Pa. they only give you thre receivers for free. After that it's $20 a pop. Can get expensive imho.

Ron

Fios price in pa 43.00 for 180 channels 5.00 for each set top box . 13.00 for each dvr I have been with dish for 7 years ,left for the dark side of comcast for 1 year .now I am back.I can get FIOS tv but i think it is wise to wait to see if the if they suck you in than hammer the price up on you I have Fios internet with a 1 year price increase of 10.00 .

I have FIOs here in pittsburgh for internet.

Unfortunately FIOS tv is delayed for regulatory reasons, or so we are told.

E is working pretty good, but bundling has advantages.

Verizon wants to bundle D with phone but that doesnt do it for me:(

FIOS is coming to my neighborhood as well and since I already pay them for landline, cell phones, and DSL, FIOS will be my next step. However, unitl they dump the Motorola junk they are using for their STB/DVR and get a dual tuner HD-DVR with OTA, I don't see me switching to FIOS TV.

I think that there dvr is just like comcast very poor.I had three bad ones in a year with comcast and the software was very unstable.. plus they put ads at the bottom of the guide. somebody is going to have to pay for all of that new fios wire . and it wont be verizon.

I think that there dvr is just like comcast very poor.I had three bad ones in a year with comcast and the software was very unstable.. plus they put ads at the bottom of the guide. somebody is going to have to pay for all of that new fios wire . and it wont be verizon.

Not that it's available anytime soon but unless things change I think i'll stickwith E* for my tv and only go with FIOS for the internet service.

Ron

Buh bye!!

I'm getting tired of threads like this.

If price is the only reason you're leaving, prices will be raised eventually no matter who you go with. If promised services and/or channels are the reason, consider what you have now and how long it will take, if ever, for them to deliver those "promises".....

The real winning is the consumer...we have more choices, and hopefully better selection and price! Except for HD-Lite, we enjoyed our Dish Network service...however, it was impossible to pass on Comcast's "no strings attached" offer when FiOS TV rolled into town back in November: $29.95 per month for all their digital cable channels, plus HBO, Showtime, and Starz packs for 12 months. After leasing two (2) HD DVRs and one (1) CableCard the price comes out to a little more than $60 (half of AEP/DishHD). We still own two (2) 622 receivers and, while the Comcast HD quality is outstanding, we definitely prefer Dish Network service and will return one the 12 month promotion is over. We just couldn't pass up on the $60 per month savings and, to be quite honest, while the HD DVRs can't compare to the 622...cable service has greatly improved since we last had cable.

Anyway, it's all about choice: the more - the better. Enjoy FiOS TV and let Dish Network and others do something special to earn your business.

Buh bye!!

I'm getting tired of threads like this.

If price is the only reason you're leaving, prices will be raised eventually no matter who you go with. If promised services and/or channels are the reason, consider what you have now and how long it will take, if ever, for them to deliver those "promises".....

The price of fios is nice, no doubt. And the way they're adding channels, I trust their promises more than some. But what really caught my eye with fios is that they don't compress the heck out of their channels. From what I've seen, their sd & hd is actually viewable. It's hard to ignore a better product at a better price. I'm years away from being able to get it, though. They are working on three towns bordering mine, but nothing for me yet.

FiOS Internet and phone came in the early spring of 2005 around here. It wasn't available until November and December that same year. FiOS TV still isn't officially available yet although it's suppose to be here in the next couple of months. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I made the switch from D* to E* two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. More HD channels, slightly better PQ (IMO), and the 622 is far superior to D*'s HD box. Even when they get it stablized, the D* HD DVR doesn't come close to offering the features of the 622. My message in all this is that having been on both sides of the D* v E* fence, E* is clearly the place to be (unless you are an NFL Sunday Ticket customer, D*'s clear advantage). Cable and other technologies may catch up, but have a long way to go yet.

I made the switch from D* to E* two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. More HD channels, slightly better PQ (IMO), and the 622 is far superior to D*'s HD box. Even when they get it stablized, the D* HD DVR doesn't come close to offering the features of the 622. My message in all this is that having been on both sides of the D* v E* fence, E* is clearly the place to be (unless you are an NFL Sunday Ticket customer, D*'s clear advantage). Cable and other technologies may catch up, but have a long way to go yet.

I'm 100% agreed.
The bundle package is not always cheaper. Look, I use Brighthouse cable internet for $14.99 first year and $19.99 second year without any contract, even cheaper than AOL dial-up. Even the Brighthouse customer using "Bundle" package doesn't have that deal.
I'm not crazy for Fioz service in my area yet. The only service I have with Verizon is the cell phone because it has a very wide area coverage and I don't like Bellsouth or Cingular or AT&T or whatever you what to call it now. They changed their name two or three times in the past 10 years but the price still the same or more after the merged.
So I don't understand their merged.

Happy DN customer so far. Better equipment than the competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)