Hooray! HDtv box for $8... now I need advice

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
Found something spiffy at the thrift store for a whopping $8; a USDigital DB-2010! It looks to be the $20 version, but it was previously activated. Yep, that means it's now a standard OTA HDtv reciever :D By the way, you can get one of these from Walmart for $20, activate it with the 30-day trial (USD charges your card $20), then cancel before the 30 days are up (USD refunds your $20). Ta-da, you own a $200 OTA HD reciever for $20! Just beware, Walmart won't accept them as returns if opened.

Well, anyway, mine works beautiful. My question is about tips & tricks. My 20-year-old rusty 6-element rooftop arial amazingly pulls in every single available digital signal listed on CheckHD.com and AntennaWeb.org. However, two of those stations (PAX KUPX-DT and FOX KSTU-DT) are too weak to watch. Originally I was missing several, and the signal came and went. So I replaced the aging old flat brown standard antenna wire with a peice of RG6 cable, and that made everything stable and left me only lacking those two stations.

What confuses me is that a lot of the other networks come from SLC, and I get 90%+ signal from them. I suppose PAX and FOX could have lower wattage broadcasts? I'm assuming my arial is pointed correctly, as everything else comes in so nicely. Would a line amp help? Should I simply accept the limitations, or purchase a newer antenna? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with what I've got ;) But as I'm so close to having everything "possible," I'd love to grab the last two.

Thanks for your input!

Not all 8-VSB demodulator chips perform the same you get what you pay for especially with older set top boxes best deal currently available are the used activated voom receivers.

roashru said:
Not all 8-VSB demodulator chips perform the same you get what you pay for especially with older set top boxes best deal currently available are the used activated voom receivers.

Ermm... okaaay.
What I asked was how to improve the signal off two channels. I'd give this box itself an A+; it has a nice design, decent remote layout, a working channel guide, parental controls with password, zoom/16:9/4:3 features, and you can still buy this exact model at Walmart today.

I actually got up on my roof last night and twisted the antenna around a bit. I now have it so all the stations come in except FOX. I can get it tuned in if I change direction, but then I loose pretty much all the other channels. Again, very odd to me since they should be broadcasting from the same direction (SLC, basically north of me). So at this point I'm wondering if I either need a motor, or could I add a small directional antenna aimed only at FOX into the mix and get results?

A lot of people dont know how important the 8-VSB demodulator chip is the receivers basic receive sensitivity is there the worst your sensitivity is the better antenna you will need. when I buy any OTA HDTV TV/STB I look for the best sensitivity 8-VSB demodulator chip inside! this even prevents rain fade on far away stations.

roashru said:
A lot of people dont know how important the 8-VSB demodulator chip is the receivers basic receive sensitivity is there the worst your sensitivity is the better antenna you will need. when I buy any OTA HDTV TV/STB I look for the best sensitivity 8-VSB demodulator chip inside! this even prevents rain fade on far away stations.

Understood. And my answer to that is: I actually set up this box, cabling and played with the antenna in the middle of an aproaching storm! Signal stregth has been beautiful on all channels except fox, and has stayed great during the bad weather, and all through today. Most stations are over 30-35 miles away, and I'm using a junk antenna that's been on the roof for probably 20 years. The unit cost me $8, and I described above how everyone else can get one for $20. I kind of doubt you could get any HDtv reciever, retired Voom box or whatnot, off ebay including shipping for that much...

IMHO for this unit to perform as great as it does in the situation it's in, I'm completely impressed. Thanks, KevinW for the info. Do you know a place to pick up a cheap ChannelMaster 4228? I'd imagine the shipping is the real killer. For now, I should steer clear of a rotor as the wife will be using it and it needs to be simple ;) Especially as I'm only lacking one station, which I can get with a 1-2 inch twist of the antenna.

CharredPC said:
Found something spiffy at the thrift store for a whopping $8; a USDigital DB-2010! It looks to be the $20 version, but it was previously activated. Yep, that means it's now a standard OTA HDtv reciever :D By the way, you can get one of these from Walmart for $20, activate it with the 30-day trial (USD charges your card $20), then cancel before the 30 days are up (USD refunds your $20). Ta-da, you own a $200 OTA HD reciever for $20! Just beware, Walmart won't accept them as returns if opened.

Well, anyway, mine works beautiful. My question is about tips & tricks. My 20-year-old rusty 6-element rooftop arial amazingly pulls in every single available digital signal listed on CheckHD.com and AntennaWeb.org. However, two of those stations (PAX KUPX-DT and FOX KSTU-DT) are too weak to watch. Originally I was missing several, and the signal came and went. So I replaced the aging old flat brown standard antenna wire with a peice of RG6 cable, and that made everything stable and left me only lacking those two stations.

What confuses me is that a lot of the other networks come from SLC, and I get 90%+ signal from them. I suppose PAX and FOX could have lower wattage broadcasts? I'm assuming my arial is pointed correctly, as everything else comes in so nicely. Would a line amp help? Should I simply accept the limitations, or purchase a newer antenna? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with what I've got ;) But as I'm so close to having everything "possible," I'd love to grab the last two.

Thanks for your input!
WHEN I CHECKED WALMART THEY WERE 198

digital_one said:
They have always been around $200 in Walmart online and local
kwajr said:
WHEN I CHECKED WALMART THEY WERE 198

You are both correct in a way, but slightly confused. Understandably so ;) Let me explain...

Walmart sells this unit for $200. Right out of the box, it gives you HDtv / Digital reception.

Walmart ALSO sells this box in a $20 form. THIS one needs to be activated; if you just bring it home and hook it up, it won't do anything for you but tell you to call USDigital to be activated for service. What they figure is they will get the $180 worth out of you through service payments for their subscription channels. However, once they activate the box, even if you discontinue service it will continue to get the HDtv / Digital signals exactly like the $200 does.

Hence my stating earlier about "spending $20 and getting a $200 unit."

rockaway1836: That's a great price, thanks! I'll have to save up my pennies :D

kb7oeb: It has a single twin lead, you may be correct. Though the FOX channels are on VHF, as I recall...

CharredPC, if you really want to save even more money on upgrading your antenna system RadioShack sells a very good antenna book if you want to make one yourself you'll have to know how to use and understand a scientific calculator. parts and supplies can be found at hardware and home improvement stores.

CharredPC said:
You are both correct in a way, but slightly confused. Understandably so ;) Let me explain...

Walmart sells this unit for $200. Right out of the box, it gives you HDtv / Digital reception.

Walmart ALSO sells this box in a $20 form. THIS one needs to be activated; if you just bring it home and hook it up, it won't do anything for you but tell you to call USDigital to be activated for service. What they figure is they will get the $180 worth out of you through service payments for their subscription channels. However, once they activate the box, even if you discontinue service it will continue to get the HDtv / Digital signals exactly like the $200 does.

Hence my stating earlier about "spending $20 and getting a $200 unit."

rockaway1836: That's a great price, thanks! I'll have to save up my pennies :D

kb7oeb: It has a single twin lead, you may be correct. Though the FOX channels are on VHF, as I recall...

What kind of service do they offer? Isn't it just an OTA receiver? Does SLC offer some sort of programming different from the rest of the country? I remember reading a while back about a new cable tv alternative that was starting in SLC that was going ot use digital transmissions rather than cable. Is this what you are talking about?

They offer Disney, TLC, ESPN1 & 2, Lifetime, and about 10 more stations (plus Starz if you pay an extra $7 per month) in certain areas. The SLC area is one of them. I think currently there's two others, check their website. Of course, they plan on "upgrading soon!" to everywhere else, lol. They basically broadcast it all like any other tv station, but your reciever needs to be authorized to get their stuff.

According to the people on the USDigital support line, the $20 and $200 versions are the exact same box. The hardware is identicle. The only difference is the software. The $200 one is USD "ready," meaning it works right from the start to recieve OTA stuff, but eventually can always subscribe to their service as well. The $20 is the "subscription" software, that forces you to call and sign up to use it. Once you're signed up (even if just for 1 day of the 30 day trial) you can always cancel, then use the $20 box as a standard OTA reciever.

I did a bunch of online research when I first got mine, and found out there was an ebay scam some time ago where people were buying the $20 versions and selling them on ebay for $189. The poor suckers who bought these complained to USDigital, who sent them out little 32k USB memory sticks to plug into the back of their unit that flashed their software over to the $200 version. Too bad they made them send those little USB drives back... ;)

I'd go new antenna. All the SLC stations are UHF and within 2 degrees. Not enough for a rotor. How close are you? Could you be over-powering a signal?

I'm in Orem, which is about 30-40 miles away from most broadcasters, I think (zip code is 84057 if you'd like to check). As I mentioned, turning the antenna ever so slightly gets in FOX, but kills the rest of the signals. It seems silly to get a rotor for that small difference; hopefully a new antenna will have a wider beam and grab all of them.

You can't get Fox in SLC because their 2.5 kw output is insufficient to overcome your 35 mile distance. This is one of those ultra-low power, special, temporary authority, DTV stations. I barely lock a 7 kw station at 38 miles from my attic. Antenna-wise, you would have to upgrade to something like an AntennaDirect 91XG mounted outside, to have a chance at it. You could try a CM 4228, but outside, up high, it is like a wind sail, which creates a whole new set of problems.

Carl B said:
You can't get Fox in SLC because their 2.5 kw output is insufficient to overcome your 35 mile distance. This is one of those ultra-low power, special, temporary authority, DTV stations. I barely lock a 7 kw station at 38 miles from my attic. Antenna-wise, you would have to upgrade to something like an AntennaDirect 91XG mounted outside, to have a chance at it. You could try a CM 4228, but outside, up high, it is like a wind sail, which creates a whole new set of problems.

Thanks.... but as I stated, I can get it in just great if I turn my antenna a bit. I won't pretend to know why, but I can get 90% signal and watched it for an hour with my antenna cockeyed. It's when I straighten it back out so the rest of the stuff comes in; THEN I lose it. Perhaps if it is that weak, pointing my antenna slightly away lessens the other stations' signal enough so it's not obscuring FOX anymore? Wild guess, probably wrong ;)

I looked at the other DTV channels that you would be receiving and they are all at considerably higher power than Fox. Since all of those channels are in a narrow azimuth band from you, when you point it at the center of that band, Fox's signal is overwhelmed by the other strong signals. Amplification will just make that situation worse.

If you are picking up Fox on some azimuth, but losing the others, I would guess your are just receiving a reflected or bounced signal from Fox. If I were you, I'd use two antennas. One for all the other channels and a second really good one w/ a good pre-amp for Fox. Combine the signals using a CM JoinTenna tuned to Fox's channel number (I left my stuff regarding your situation at work, so I don't have the details handy; just working off memory here at home).

Thank you, Carl B! That sounds exactly like what I wanted.

If I'm able to recieve FOX just fine off my current antenna (via a bounce or whatnot) what do you think of using my current antenna just for FOX, then purchasing a new Channel master arial for the rest, to be mounted in a new location? Then I'd just have to track down a CM JoinTenna, and it sounds like I'd have it all :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)