Hooray! HDtv box for $8... now I need advice

If your current antenna gets all those digital channels now, I'd saw that something like a CM 4228 to get them would be over-kill. Unless you are currently using a pre-amp on your antenna. In that case, an outdoor mounted CM 4228 may be able to get them w/o a pre-amp and you can use your existing set up for Fox.

CharredPC said:
They offer Disney, TLC, ESPN1 & 2, Lifetime, and about 10 more stations (plus Starz if you pay an extra $7 per month) in certain areas. The SLC area is one of them. I think currently there's two others, check their website. Of course, they plan on "upgrading soon!" to everywhere else, lol. They basically broadcast it all like any other tv station, but your reciever needs to be authorized to get their stuff.

According to the people on the USDigital support line, the $20 and $200 versions are the exact same box. The hardware is identicle. The only difference is the software. The $200 one is USD "ready," meaning it works right from the start to recieve OTA stuff, but eventually can always subscribe to their service as well. The $20 is the "subscription" software, that forces you to call and sign up to use it. Once you're signed up (even if just for 1 day of the 30 day trial) you can always cancel, then use the $20 box as a standard OTA reciever.

I did a bunch of online research when I first got mine, and found out there was an ebay scam some time ago where people were buying the $20 versions and selling them on ebay for $189. The poor suckers who bought these complained to USDigital, who sent them out little 32k USB memory sticks to plug into the back of their unit that flashed their software over to the $200 version. Too bad they made them send those little USB drives back... ;)

OK, could you provide some more information please,

I went to Wal-Mart and ask for the $20.00 box and the guy thought I was nuts. He had no idea what I was talking about or what to look for on his system. Do you have a special name or wal-mart number or link?

I recently bought a Voom box off ebay and it works great except for one channel that gets a good signal, but won't lock. I'd love to spend only $20 to see if it was me, my voom box or the particular station. And since I received an antenna with my Voom box that seems to work great, if I only had to spend $20 for a HD receiver that locked into all the channels, that would be great.

EDIT: OK I found their web site. It looks like they list only three cities where this programing is available. So would be my guess it is only these three places where you can get the box for $20.00. Will keep digging around. I wonder if you could pick up one in these cities, activate it there and then move it to another city??? I assume you would have to set it up with an antenna, phone line, etc to get activated. Might not be worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts