Hoping to get some thoughts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gzellf

Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Blairstown NJ
Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum, but have read a bunch in the past week. Last week I signed up for d* with the HD dvr options.
I had my installation scheduled for this past Saturday. Two guys showed up and walked around for a little bit. I currently have a dish mounted on my chimney, but they said the new dish cannot be mounted up there- I'm fine with that. I have some pretty tall trees around my house (maybe like 100ft+ away from it), though these trees tend to not have any leaves since they're really old black locust trees. The house itself is a 130 year old + Victorian, slate roof and a rather large chimney made of brick and a thick layer of cement on the outside. and it pretty tall itself: I would estimate about 30 ft on the sides and 40+ ft at it's peak. One of the guy finds a spot where he says, " I think we can make this spot work out for you" and the other guys kind of grunted and mumbled something. The first guy gives the other guy the scope thing (i do not know what it is called) to look through and the second guy's response was literally "Eh, I don't know...man it;s real cold out...hate to be the bearer of bad news, but HD will probably not work out for you" stating it's a Line of Sight issue. Granted yes, it was a really cold and winder day (maybe about 24 degrees out). I just wanted to get your thoughts if you think the two guys were cold and being lazy to an extent. I mean, the first guy thought it could work, so I'm a little at a loss. A technician was to come out for a second opinion from the company yesterday (monday) as the company said someone would on saturday but no one showed up nor did I receive a phone call. I currently am scheduled for a installation this coming Wednesday.

ALso, if you would willing to explain one thing to me. The guys used a little scope like thing to look through to test the angle and line of sight. He says the dish needs to be angled at 35/36 degrees. Now, if they are testing this on the ground, it will probably skim the tops of the trees, however, if they were to climb up to a higher spot (say 25-30 feet up) wouldn't the whole line of sight seen on the ground be shifted up that amount and then clear the trees. Please correct me if my thinking is wrong. Also, the first time I had a dish installed, the installer used an electronic device to test for the signal, these guys did not have anything like that. Is the way I described above the new way installers test and determine everything, or did I happen upon two not so great installers?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me and I apologize if this type of post seems self centered or if it's been discussed before. If you want, I can take picture of the house showing the direction the satellite would need to go.
Thanks again!

Filip

Sounds also like you need different installers, one appears too want to try to do the job and the other wants to go home cause his toes are cold, probably gets to hot in the summer for him. I'd call them and see what's up with the no-show, no call, and if they can't give you an anwser that suits you call D* and see if they can send better installers. You live in an area where there are probably lots of installers surrounding you

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)