Status
Please reply by conversation.

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
My hr21-700 lost all signal when the temp got below -15F. My hr20-100 maintained signal in the 90's range. Both are connected to a common swm with a splitter behind it. I switched the cables back and forth and the signal still remained strong only on the hr20-100. In the early hours of the morning the temp dipped to -27F and I lost signal on both receivers. Yesterday when it warmed up a little during the daylight hours the hr20-100 came back and then a couple hours later the hr21-700 restored. During the downtime I did all the usual stuff like rebooting and unplugging both receivers and the swm power and nothing had any effect. Then last night the temperature dropped again and the hr21-700 lost signal (771) again.

I suspect that the extreme cold is causing a connection to open enough and it effects the hr21 more than the hr20 (in my case). I have an installer visit scheduled Monday. If he suggests replacing either box I am going to decline because I'm close to the end of my contract and don't want to be stuck for another 24 months.

My hr21-700 lost all signal when the temp got below -15F. My hr20-100 maintained signal in the 90's range. Both are connected to a common swm with a splitter behind it. I switched the cables back and forth and the signal still remained strong only on the hr20-100. In the early hours of the morning the temp dipped to -27F and I lost signal on both receivers. Yesterday when it warmed up a little during the daylight hours the hr20-100 came back and then a couple hours later the hr21-700 restored. During the downtime I did all the usual stuff like rebooting and unplugging both receivers and the swm power and nothing had any effect. Then last night the temperature dropped again and the hr21-700 lost signal (771) again.

I suspect that the extreme cold is causing a connection to open enough and it effects the hr21 more than the hr20 (in my case). I have an installer visit scheduled Monday. If he suggests replacing either box I am going to decline because I'm close to the end of my contract and don't want to be stuck for another 24 months.

I doubt that it's a box issue.
They are inside where it's warm.
I would think it would more likely be a LNB going bad, there is a particular one that has KNOWN issues with cold weather, but I don't remember which ones and I think it has been updated and no longer having problems, but if yours is a older one, that could be the issue.

Someone here will pop in and verify which one was having an issue.

Thanks for the link and the info. The dish was installed last Sept after I moved. I'll mention the issue with the WNC SWM LNB when the installer arrives.

Thanks for the link and the info. The dish was installed last Sept after I moved. I'll mention the issue with the WNC SWM LNB when the installer arrives.

He more than likely already knows about it.
Also, they have a version 2 of the LNB now that takes care of that issue, so if he replaces it with the same make, don't worry about it. :)

Installer just left. He did indeed know all about the lnb issue and confirmed it was a known defective. He even predicted that between the two receivers that my hr20-100 would hold signal longer than the hr21-700 which was exactly what was happening.

Thanks again for the responses. You guys were spot on.

Installer just left. He did indeed know all about the lnb issue and confirmed it was a known defective. He even predicted that between the two receivers that my hr20-100 would hold signal longer than the hr21-700 which was exactly what was happening.

Glad it worked out!!! :D

Glad to see it's taken care of :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.