Hopper 1 Hard Drive swap and Hopper 3 upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cvchief

Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
PA
I have a 5 year old Hopper 1 and 2 joeys that I own.

So my joey gets pixelated on paused or saved shows. Can never pause on the hopper and go to the joey anymore without skips or pixel issues. Occasionally happens on the hopper itself. I am guessing the hard drive is the issue? I can't find recent info on the replacing the hard drive. I was thinking of doing it myself. If i understand, I can hook up an external drive and move everything and then put a new hard drive in and it will set itself up and then I can hook up the external and copy everything back? Is this the external I want to use:
WD 2TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBFJK0020HBK-NESN

Amazon product ASIN B00E3RH5W2

And what should I get as the replacement drive for the hopper? The only info I found on this was old. so I wasn't sure if it was current. It showed this drive which is still available:
Seagate 2TB Pipeline HD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000VM003)

Amazon product ASIN B008B0RQ1C

Finally after I get it fixed, I have another use for it, so I am looking to buy a Hopper 3. (I hate renting) I don't have any 4k tvs yet. What should I get for 2 joeys? What else do I need to buy with it so I can be ready to have dish come do their stuff?

Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can hook up an external drive and move everything and then put a new hard drive in and it will set itself up and then I can hook up the external and copy everything back? Is this the external I want to use:
Easy part first: The external drive can be almost any USB 2 unit. Just stick to something 2gb or smaller and officially, it's supposed to have it's own power supply vs using the 5v power from the USB connection. Plenty of people here use externals that only use USB power though.

With the internal drive, in the past, you had to use certain, exact models as the Hopper firmware is hard-coded to only recognize and use certain models. A few people on this board have done it but not too many. There used to be a Yahoo! discussion group specific to this topic but I don't know if it's still active, moved to another site, etc.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Already ordered it! Thanks! Now if I can get the internal hard drive and maybe some instructions, I should be good to go on that front.

On the H3 and Joeys, I was thinking that I should get the 4k ones. What about the the difference between wired and wireless? I thought all the new ones ran on a separate wifi so all you need to do is plug in the ac? Do they also work like the current ones I have on Coax? Is one way better?

Yea, I saw the reference to the yahoo group, but it seems to be dead. The drive I quoted seems to be the only one. I would like to use the old hopper for my 3 outlet camping setup replacing a 222k and 211k that are kinda old and get me 3 HD outlets instead of 2HD and 1SD.

That price did seem high! I got it from those dish people for 149, which seems ok more or less. Probably because everyone looks for that one for Dish? I had an old one for a 222k DVR but it crapped out quickly....

I thought about just buying the internal hard drive and winging it for $60. I have gambled more with less chance of success. I figure if it doesn't work, I can put the old one back until I figure it out. More wondered if there was a new better one to stick in there.

I would like to use the old hopper for my 3 outlet camping setup replacing a 222k and 211k that are kinda old and get me 3 HD outlets instead of 2HD and 1SD.

Unless you have two accounts, I don't think Dish will let you do that. Once you have an H3 on your Account, pretty sure they won't allow any of the older Hoppers on the same account with the H3.

Unless you have two accounts, I don't think Dish will let you do that. Once you have an H3 on your Account, pretty sure they won't allow any of the older Hoppers on the same account with the H3.

Really? Figures. I think I have a friend whose account I could throw the old hopper on. More the reason I guess to get the old one fixed before I take it off.

Can't you just get the Hopper swapped for a refurb by Dish for the cost of shipping ($15) whether it's owned or leased?

I got a refurbished H3. It's been working for several months now. That was the replacement for my brand new retail one that died in a week. These things probably aren't quality controlled very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts