Hopper 1 Have Audible Signal Meter?

mcasdorph

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
WV, USA
I switched from my old VIP722 and bought a Hopper 1 DVR after the VIPs DVR failed and I wanted to upgrade my receiver. So anyway the older receivers kinda spoiled me with the audible signal meter that I used to use to find and peak my signals. On the Hopper, Im in the diagnostics menu and under Dish and can see the signal strength, but is there a way to hear and audible of it?

I switched from my old VIP722 and bought a Hopper 1 DVR after the VIPs DVR failed and I wanted to upgrade my receiver. So anyway the older receivers kinda spoiled me with the audible signal meter that I used to use to find and peak my signals. On the Hopper, Im in the diagnostics menu and under Dish and can see the signal strength, but is there a way to hear and audible of it?
Usually if you manually select the tuner it will make it have sound.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Where you select be tuner press select repeatedly like 4-6 times. It usually starts having sound after that.
Or if you still have the 722 you can still connect it and use that. Then once signal is good connect the hopper back.

I just tried that. I went to the tuner, which just happened to be 2. There was no sound. I pressed Select on my 54 remote, just once, and initially it said not locked and then popped in complete with sound.

Where you select be tuner press select repeatedly like 4-6 times. It usually starts having sound after that.
Or if you still have the 722 you can still connect it and use that. Then once signal is good connect the hopper back.

I just tried that. I went to the tuner, which just happened to be 2. There was no sound. I pressed Select on my 54 remote, just once, and initially it said not locked and then popped in complete with sound.

It's a no go.. Im going to reset the receiver and see if it works after reboot. I seen another post about OTA signal meter not working right until someone hard reset it. Hopefully it will remedy my no sound in the meter

On my Hopper 3, when I select Tuner, it will make a humming sound if it's 0 (the signal bar is gray 100%) or it will make a sound if the signal is higher than 1 and the signal bar will show some green. How does one actually use the sound or does the sound have different volumes or pitches depending on the signal strength?

On my Hopper 3, when I select Tuner, it will make a humming sound if it's 0 (the signal bar is gray 100%) or it will make a sound if the signal is higher than 1 and the signal bar will show some green. How does one actually use the sound or does the sound have different volumes or pitches depending on the signal strength?
On the older receivers the higher the pitch the higher the signal. Idk about the Hoppers cause I can't get mine to make the noise. I had my dish peaked sometime back using my older receiver, then had something happen to my cable and O thought the dish was out of alignment for some reason and started messing with it. Only to switch cables and have to align it again. Then got my newer Hopper 1 and was going to peak it but can't get the tone for some reason. But I had the VIP722 and a 322 SD receiver with the old GUI and it had the hum for no signal and different pitches for the level of signal

I'm pretty sure the tone doesn't change for the hopper.

The pitch goes up in steps as the signal level increases. Can be handy for tweaking up the dish if you don't have a good signal meter.

On the older receivers the higher the pitch the higher the signal. Idk about the Hoppers cause I can't get mine to make the noise. I had my dish peaked sometime back using my older receiver, then had something happen to my cable and O thought the dish was out of alignment for some reason and started messing with it. Only to switch cables and have to align it again. Then got my newer Hopper 1 and was going to peak it but can't get the tone for some reason. But I had the VIP722 and a 322 SD receiver with the old GUI and it had the hum for no signal and different pitches for the level of signal
Interesting so if I am correct, it's so you can be at the DISH itself and use the sound as a guide on where the signal peaks?

The pitch goes up in steps as the signal level increases. Can be handy for tweaking up the dish if you don't have a good signal meter.
That is what I figured but that's only if you can hear the sound from where the DISH is. But as tjboston5676 said, the pitch doesn't change on the Hoppers so seems one can't really use it for tweaking since all you will hear is either you have a signal or you don't and not different signal strengths.

I asked the guy I bought this Hopper 1 from, hes a authorized retailer and he said his Hopper 2 didn't have the tone and he thinks dish removed it in a update for some reason. So if his Hopper 2 doesn't have it and my Hopper 1 doesn't. I hope Dish didn't remove it permanently. Or maybe they disabled it if someone said it had to be clicked a few times for it to work, maybe they disabled it until they figure it out or they very well may have removed it to make it harder for us to mess with so they can schedule tech visits more and charge for it. IDK .

That is what I figured but that's only if you can hear the sound from where the DISH is. But as tjboston5676 said, the pitch doesn't change on the Hoppers so seems one can't really use it for tweaking since all you will hear is either you have a signal or you don't and not different signal strengths.
Use a partner with a cell phone so you can hear the signal, might work.

It changes on my Hopper 2's and every other Hopper I've worked with when doing RV installations.

I asked the guy I bought this Hopper 1 from, hes a authorized retailer and he said his Hopper 2 didn't have the tone and he thinks dish removed it in a update for some reason. So if his Hopper 2 doesn't have it and my Hopper 1 doesn't. I hope Dish didn't remove it permanently. Or maybe they disabled it if someone said it had to be clicked a few times for it to work, maybe they disabled it until they figure it out or they very well may have removed it to make it harder for us to mess with so they can schedule tech visits more and charge for it. IDK .
The tones worked on my H2 5 days ago when I set up my portable 1K4 dish at a different campsite.

It changes on my Hopper 2's and every other Hopper I've worked with when doing RV installations.
Thats good cause that wouldn't help much at all trying to peak
The tones worked on my H2 5 days ago when I set up my portable 1K4 dish at a different campsite.
Good to know, wish I could figure it out why my H1 isn't