Hopper 1 the Original Hopper & EHD Bug?

EMANON

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
WA
My Hopper is 95% full with about 700 shows. When I try and transfer all it says not enough room. I am going from the Hopper internal drive to a brand new EHD which is 2 TB with zero recordings. The internal HDD shows about 1 TB of recordings. I can do the transfer in batches of 250 GIGs to 300 GIGs. Anyone know about this?

Yeah, I'd try, maybe, 100 or 200 at a time. It may well be that the Hopper doesn't have enough ummpph to do 700 at a time...

A lot of times there are limits to the amount of data you can reasonably transfer and may not necessarily be the "umpf" factor. Transferring data whether it's 1 or 700 recordings is pretty much the same processing power to transfer. It really boils down to the amount of time the Hopper and drives will be working. Could be that there needs to be some sort of swap file(s) created and that last little bit of Hopper HDD is not enough to hold the temporary files. The DVR percentage is relative and I would never consider it to be 100% accurate. More like a gauge so you can manage your DVR and no different than those "% complete..." progress bars we all see when loading software and such.

Transferring that much is a lot of data and those drives will be spinning for hours on end. Suggest like others mentioned do it in chunks. I've had to transfer hundreds of shows a few times in my Dish lifetime and always found this to be the best. I also get a bit neurotic about data transfers so I try to transfer when myself and the family are also not hitting up the Hopper for live TV, recording things, moving to folders, etc... Generally do it overnight. But that's just me...

Start with one. Then try a very few. Note that if you try to transfer certain copy protected programs, they won't transfer and your entire transfer list will stop.

At least, that's what happened on my MBR HWS, but it's HDD has now failed.

I don't know if it might differ from one unit to another, but I seemingly had no limitations at all when transferring 2,000 recordings from my HWS to a 2TB EHD. I did not do all of those recordings at once, but some of the incremental transfers were 100s of recordings at a time. The last batch I did, last week, took about 12 hours to complete, but it seemed to go without a hitch each time.

Reactions: Tron2012
My Hopper is 95% full with about 700 shows. When I try and transfer all it says not enough room. I am going from the Hopper internal drive to a brand new EHD which is 2 TB with zero recordings. The internal HDD shows about 1 TB of recordings. I can do the transfer in batches of 250 GIGs to 300 GIGs. Anyone know about this?
Just to add to my previous post...While I can transfer 100+ hows at a time what a pain to have to click the remote 200 times for every 100 shows. The error message not enough space is wrong. Maybe it will not let the copy time go beyond 24 hours because of nightly update checks. If someone from Dish is reading this I consider this a serious bug. When the Hopper says transfer ALL that is what I expect. If the issue is only 24 hours of copying is allowed a correct error message would be appreciated instead of not enough space. I am a programmer and this is an easy fix. Pushing the remote buttons hundreds times is ridiculous.

If you are transferring TV series, you can press the red button on the "Transfer" screen where you select shows and change it to "Folders by Title" from "No Folders". It will group shows together that have the same title and speed up the selection process.