Not getting Moneys worth Channel 100- National News Alerts

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
%Please fix channel or remove it to save Bandwidth for new HD
Dear Dish Network,
I know you read these daily as SatGuys is the No#1 forum for support and personal commentary.
The following is a personal commentary.
Please change Channel 100 to a 24x7 News Mix. With all the War events in Paris and the middle east and with the alerts on the USA we really need a channel that we can go to and see all the news that is going on.
ISSUES WITH THE CHANNEL
===================
1. Today you have a news mix in the A.M. Mon-Fri but on Sat-Sundays it is a kids mix.
2. Then to make things worse after Noon you change it a general Mix.
3. No one knows what the channel is as it changes all the time making it not usable.
4. There is no info in the guide to even know what kind of mix channel it is at that time.
5. Even when you do the news mix you put one sports channel (this is not news so again is confuses everyone as to what the channel really is).
6. When you do the new mix you missing several full time news channels.
Dish would make a ton of money
=========================
I bet if you left it a News Mix 24x7 AND added some smaller banner ADs at the top and bottom, Dish would make a ton of extra money. Many Stores, restaurants, Bars, rest stops would most like also display the new Mix 24x7 like they do today on the sports mix and weather channels. Again Dish would make more money.
NATIONAL ALERTS
=================
If you make it a 24x7 News mix when there is breaking news the USA could turn their first to find the coverage that need. Not all channels get the breaking news first. Some channels break the news first.
Lets say there was a new even on the USA, this channel would be very important toward informing the USA on what to do or what happened.
Emergency Storm Channel
==================
When there are major storms like Hurricanes, tornado outbreaks, or buzzards, the channel can also be used for this. Direct TV used to turn their channel into a Hurricane channel with local news coverage as those channels would switch to 24x7 news coverage (they had an agreement with them for the local news coverage during the emergency)
I got to say Channel 100 the Mix channel is a waist of Bandwidth as it is today.
Please fix the channel, else remove it and maybe add a new HD channel that people can watch.

- Scott

Reactions: charlesrshell
%Please fix channel or remove it to save Bandwidth for new HD
Dear Dish Network,
I know you read these daily as SatGuys is the No#1 forum for support and personal commentary.
The following is a personal commentary.
Please change Channel 100 to a 24x7 News Mix. With all the War events in Paris and the middle east and with the alerts on the USA we really need a channel that we can go to and see all the news that is going on.
ISSUES WITH THE CHANNEL
===================
1. Today you have a news mix in the A.M. Mon-Fri but on Sat-Sundays it is a kids mix.
2. Then to make things worse after Noon you change it a general Mix.
3. No one knows what the channel is as it changes all the time making it not usable.
4. There is no info in the guide to even know what kind of mix channel it is at that time.
5. Even when you do the news mix you put one sports channel (this is not news so again is confuses everyone as to what the channel really is).
6. When you do the new mix you missing several full time news channels.
Dish would make a ton of money
=========================
I bet if you left it a News Mix 24x7 AND added some smaller banner ADs at the top and bottom, Dish would make a ton of extra money. Many Stores, restaurants, Bars, rest stops would most like also display the new Mix 24x7 like they do today on the sports mix and weather channels. Again Dish would make more money.
NATIONAL ALERTS
=================
If you make it a 24x7 News mix when there is breaking news the USA could turn their first to find the coverage that need. Not all channels get the breaking news first. Some channels break the news first.
Lets say there was a new even on the USA, this channel would be very important toward informing the USA on what to do or what happened.
Emergency Storm Channel
==================
When there are major storms like Hurricanes, tornado outbreaks, or buzzards, the channel can also be used for this. Direct TV used to turn their channel into a Hurricane channel with local news coverage as those channels would switch to 24x7 news coverage (they had an agreement with them for the local news coverage during the emergency)
I got to say Channel 100 the Mix channel is a waist of Bandwidth as it is today.
Please fix the channel, else remove it and maybe add a new HD channel that people can watch.

- Scott
This channel has been around for 10-15 years though. It only recently became an issue when folks got it on the Hopper... It's what will be the most top watched programs for a certain times of each day. News is big in the morning across the country, kids during "Disney" hour, ESPN or other Sports News is news and a big seller, etc. It is worked out pretty well, I think, for the majority of the country to have a quick reference.

Emergency Storm Channel
==================
When there are major storms like Hurricanes, tornado outbreaks, or buzzards, the ch...

You are correct. We got hit pretty hard the last time we had a buzzard storm and not even the Weather Channel had any warnings or coverage. D@mn buzzards, pooped everywhere.

<Just having fun. Know what you meant, but gotta give those long posts the once-over before submitting.>

Channel 100 has a very specific purpose and being your personal go-to for current events is not it. It provides a placeholder for receivers that aren't activated.

I doubt that it consumes as much bandwidth as you think nor that it could reasonably be scavenged for something you deem more important.

From a technical standpoint, Channel 100 appears to be two channels on two different transponders with differing polarities.

I get the idea. Would be nice to have a landing place or portal where a customer can go to one channel like this and get important info.

I personally do not think Dish is thinking about this as a big profit center for them so their main reason for adding channel 100 would be to provide some sort of feature that sets them apart from competition (or matches/improves a feature their competition has). Then they get their money on the front end in new customers or retention of existing customers because of additional features.

Do not think Dish is any position to want to be content creators, just providers. Also, they probably do not want any liability for example if they offer their own weather alert process (whether their own or aggregate the info from other sources) but don't issue one promptly. Then you get a lawsuit-happy customer suing them because they weren't warned in time. Still say people should get a good battery operated weather radio with alerting system if they live in areas prone to violent weather to address that concern.

So, someday when they develop the ability to have more tuners available to users to then make that 100 channel have user customized channels to display then it may be more like you envision. Can have the Weather Channel set as one for weather updates, set your preferred news channel(s) to cover your comment on not all news outlets may break news at the same time, local news, sports, and more. Then you can change as you see fit.

So, someday when they develop the ability to have more tuners available to users to then make that 100 channel have user customized channels to display then it may be more like you envision. Can have the Weather Channel set as one for weather updates, set your preferred news channel(s) to cover your comment on not all news outlets may break news at the same time, local news, sports, and more. Then you can change as you see fit.
As it is, the six channel thing is a satellite delivered composite. If it were to be made configurable, the receiver could conceivably need to have a tuner for each channel or place some "unreasonable" restrictions on the chosen channels.

Compositing isn't really creating so I don't think that Charlie would dismiss it out of hand.

I think that content providers demanding placement in one or more composites could be come a huge problem. At the receiving end, imagine the fireworks if someone had to see (much less hear) their politically opposed news channel as part of the composite. Oh, the humanity!

If the TS could cite a precedent for what they're seeking, it would be a much better starting point. As it is, I don't think such a "clipping service" exists in the conventional pay TV domain.

Reactions: Tron2012
As it is, the six channel thing is a satellite delivered composite. If it were to be made configurable, the receiver could conceivably need to have a tuner for each channel or place some "unreasonable" restrictions on the chosen channels.

All good points. Why I referenced "someday." Dish already has the ability to stuff 4 channels onto one tuner (PrimeTime Anytime) so it is conceivable that it's only a matter of time where they can get creative with existing/more tuners and also develop really beefy equipment to manage all this. One can dream, can't they?!

Reactions: charlesrshell

Compositing isn't really creating so I don't think that Charlie would dismiss it out of hand.

I think that content providers demanding placement in one or more composites could be come a huge problem. At the receiving end, imagine the fireworks if someone had to see (much less hear) their politically opposed news channel as part of the composite. Oh, the humanity!

If the TS could cite a precedent for what they're seeking, it would be a much better starting point. As it is, I don't think such a "clipping service" exists in the conventional pay TV domain.
much easier to do it with an internet connection

much easier to do it with an internet connection

Correct, but you'd be surprised at how many people still do not have a high speed Internet connection here in the US. So it would limit this functionality to a degree. Could be an option for those that do have that luxury.

Correct, but you'd be surprised at how many people still do not have a high speed Internet connection here in the US. So it would limit this functionality to a degree. Could be an option for those that do have that luxury.
But it would be awesome on slingtv

All good points. Why I referenced "someday." Dish already has the ability to stuff 4 channels onto one tuner (PrimeTime Anytime) so it is conceivable that it's only a matter of time where they can get creative with existing/more tuners and also develop really beefy equipment to manage all this.
This "ability" is based on the fact that all four channels are modulated together on the same transponder. Once you depart that realm, it becomes impractical until the switchgear can break things down to the channel level. It wouldn't be going too far out on a limb to predict that technology such as this will never come to pass in the DBS world.

BREAKING NEWS IN CALIFORNIA
This is a GOOD example of why channel 100 needs to be a national news network mix channel.
I wanted urgent information on this crisis, different channels had different rumors, if the news mix was going on I could of quickly swtiched between them all
Instead DISH HAD the FOOD NETWORK in the mix and a TV slow called Betwitched.
-
Very upsetting the stuff going on in California right now. I pray everyone is OK.

The last time I remember getting wound up about a breaking news story it was the Korean Air crash at SFO. For the first couple hours the news was pretty much wrong.

More recently the news out of Umpqua Community College was lacking in authority (and authenticity) for at least six or seven hours.

Of course watching the news isn't likely to change what happened or even what will happen in the future.

Ever use a Joey? I have several of the original models.
They are super slow. Pretty much changing channels is not worth it, soo slow.
Should would be easy for Dish to just make the news mix 24x7, they probably just need to push one button in their system to make this happen.
-
Thank You everyone for the ideas, I am listening.

Ever use a Joey? I have several of the original models.
They are super slow. Pretty much changing channels is not worth it, soo slow.
Should would be easy for Dish to just make the news mix 24x7, they probably just need to push one button in their system to make this happen.
-
Thank You everyone for the ideas, I am listening.
The problem I see with that is that the sports people and the kids people will have the same exact thing to say, about their topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)