Hopper 3 and 2011 Panasonic Plasma TV

I didn’t know they were still making plasmas in 2011. It seems they were. But not all were 1080- some were 720.

And will the H3 output 1080i to feed the TV? What 1080p source is available to you? Do you have a BD player? Try that. Not sure the H3 has any 1080p source to output. UHD would be downscaled.

2011 might have been a bit early for all the details to have been worked out in the 1080p world. All flat panels display in progressive format, but not all can accept non-interlaced signals, especially at 1080.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

The only true 1080p from the Hopper would be PPV/VOD titles.

To the OP, have you tried ordering any of those, or are you simply expecting the Hopper to output 1080p for everything? If the latter, that won't work, as regular output is only 1080i, unless you order one of the PPV/VOD offerings that are specifically marked as being in 1080p. Once you order one of those and they start playing, the H3 will switch to 1080p output just for that movie/event.

I didn’t know they were still making plasmas in 2011. It seems they were. But not all were 1080- some were 720.

And will the H3 output 1080i to feed the TV? What 1080p source is available to you? Do you have a BD player? Try that. Not sure the H3 has any 1080p source to output. UHD would be downscaled.

2011 might have been a bit early for all the details to have been worked out in the 1080p world. All flat panels display in progressive format, but not all can accept non-interlaced signals, especially at 1080.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

The TV does 1080p. The AppleTV and BD player both output 1080p to it just fine. The H3 outputs 1080i only to it.

thanks

I get the same results with my 2013 Panasonic plasma, all normal channels will only be output at 1080i. PPV/VOD are only options for 1080p, as was stated in the response above.

As has been said. The Hopper only outputs 1080p from 1080p sources and NONE of the cable channels, even HBO do 1080p, only VOD movies are 1080p, if you're lucky.

Just because the TV is capable of 1080p, does not mean it will display 1080p when the source is 1080i or 720p.

You are expecting things that do not exist.

Reactions: charlesrshell
One more question. How does the 1080i video look on your display? What make, model and year TV do you own?

My brother owns the 55” plasma made in 2011. I own the 65” version. I am strongly looking at a new TV and 4K blu-ray player.

Thanks for your time.

One more question. How does the 1080i video look on your display? What make, model and year TV do you own?

My brother owns the 55” plasma made in 2011. I own the 65” version. I am strongly looking at a new TV and 4K blu-ray player.

Thanks for your time.
1080i video looks just fine. It looked fine on my old Mitsubishi 50" front projection set. It looked fine, maybe better, on my Sharp 65" LCD flat screen. It looks great on my Vizio 75" LCD flat screen

1080i video looks just fine. It looked fine on my old Mitsubishi 50" front projection set. It looked fine, maybe better, on my Sharp 65" LCD flat screen. It looks great on my Vizio 75" LCD flat screen

Is the Sharp 4K? What about the Vizio?

I have never seen 1080p and lower resolutions unconverted to 4K. I can imagine that it looks great.

Is the Sharp 4K? What about the Vizio?

I have never seen 1080p and lower resolutions unconverted to 4K. I can imagine that it looks great.
The Sharp wasn't 4K but the Vizio is. 1080p upconverted to 4K looks very, very good. 1080i looks nearly as good. Lower resolutions look good...

Thanks for your time.

I cannot yet justify switching out my panny plasmas. I want new LG OLEDS - but frankly there is not enough 4K HDR source material out there. So I wait... the wife is happy...

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: navychop
I too am holding onto my 2013 Panny 65VT60, probably 2nd or 3rd best plasma ever made. I will only replace it with OLED but don't see the point in replacing the 65 with another 65, would like a 77" OLED but at the moment cannot afford that upgrade.

I also have a 2013 Panasonic plasma (60ZT60) and I don't see any reason to replace it. The picture is superb, and at the distance that we sit from the screen, the extra 4K resolution would not make any difference.

Reactions: HipKat
I almost bought a 65ZT60 instead of the VT, but at the time I could not justify the extra $800 difference in price for a small improvement in contrast. Panasonic plasma's are still a very nice looking HDTV, I am not really interested in 4k at this time anyways, at least until larger sized OLED's come down in price a little bit more.