Can anything be done with all our stuff on the External hard drive?

jdvaughn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I know Dish is going down eventually and frankly we're so sick of them, it would be fine with us. The worst thing is, I've spent years collecting every good movie & series on my WD External hard drive. Has anyone found a way to put their stuff onto some other device or some other way of saving it all?

I can't hardly bear the thought of losing all our stuff...

My 2 cents :
StarTech.com HDMI Video Capture Device or equiv. and
ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter and 2 hdmi cables , plus PC with proper USB 3.0 port and 1tb drive. You have to transfer in real time , so it may take awhile. Also editing software if you want to remove commercials , etc. FYI this needs to be done before you cancel your dish service.

Just transferred two Epix movies last night from my H3 to a laptop with my Hauppauge PVR as TS streams. Now I can cut the leading and trailing crap off with my VideoReDoTVS V5 and archive it for future watching on my time.

Reactions: HipKat and osu1991
Just transferred two Epix movies last night from my H3 to a laptop with my Hauppauge PVR as TS streams. Now I can cut the leading and trailing crap off with my VideoReDoTVS V5 and archive it for future watching on my time.

Thank you!

Thank you!

I disagree with the doomsayers who claim Dish is going down. I am enjoying the Hopper 3 Google Assistant that they recently released. Many have commented how the Snap module vastly improved the performance of the earlier Hopper generations. Several Dish installers have reported that they are installing Dish to replace ATT Direct TV. If fact Dish installations are backed up due to high demand. Dish will always have programming disputes but so do all the other providers.
I bought an Amazon Recast TV but the equipment is so crude compared to the Hopper3. Anybody that has used a Hopper3 is spoiled since no other equipment can compare.
Dish has a huge Video on Demand library of free shows. There is always plenty of content to watch. I predict Dish will continue to be around and that the cost of streaming alternative services will continue to rise. Plus as more content providers enter the streaming market, the consumer will need to enroll in multiple streaming services if they want to continue to get a variety of content.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I know Dish is going down eventually and frankly we're so sick of them, it would be fine with us. The worst thing is, I've spent years collecting every good movie & series on my WD External hard drive. Has anyone found a way to put their stuff onto some other device or some other way of saving it all?

If you kept the receiver and disconnected the satellite I think you can watch the recordings.

I don’t know if dish is locking the DVR abs making it tied to an active subscription on the card

It has been published here more than once that there is a poison pill in the receiver software. If the box can’t “phone home” or get a satellite signal, it will stop working. No watching DVR’d or EHD material. The number of days does not seem fixed. It may simply reset on some schedule as it receives programming.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Just curious, what is the file name extension on the files? I.e. .jpg, m4v?

I would assume they are in a non-standard format and probably have additional security as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)