Hopper 3 and 40.0 remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RTCDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
San Jose, CA
Can the 40.0 remote be used with a Hopper 3 in IR mode (and yes I know your have enable IR reception)? And if not, are there any other Dish remotes that will work with a Hopper 3 as an IR remote?

Can the 40.0 remote be used with a Hopper 3 in IR mode (and yes I know your have enable IR reception)? And if not, are there any other Dish remotes that will work with a Hopper 3 as an IR remote?
The 40 remote works perfectly with the Hopper 3. If you have a Hopper+ with that H3 there are some buttons that do not work.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Harmony after market remotes are great! Easy to set up. But have similar limitations with a Plus dragging down the H3.

The 40.0 works natively via UHF, I dont believe you can use it in IR mode for receiver commands. If you enable IR mode on the receiver you can use any dish made IR remote however, I’ve gone all the way back to the 1.5 and it works with both of my non-plus Hopper3’s.

The 40.0 works natively via UHF, I dont believe you can use it in IR mode for receiver commands. If you enable IR mode on the receiver you can use any dish made IR remote however, I’ve gone all the way back to the 1.5 and it works with both of my non-plus Hopper3’s.
How did you pair the older remotes to the Hopper 3? I tried the old IR 5.3 and IR/UHF 6.3 remotes that came with my VIP722s and couldn’t get either to work with the Hopper 3.

My entertainment system is all based around IR repeaters and emitters. I need an IR remote to train my existing universal remote to control the Hopper 3. Once I train my universal remote, the Dish remote will no longer be used.

My entertainment system is all based around IR repeaters and emitters. I need an IR remote to train my existing universal remote to control the Hopper 3. Once I train my universal remote, the Dish remote will no longer be used.
Which universal remote are you using? If it is a Harmony it can be programmed for the Hopper via the Logitech app.

It’s an older, now discontinued, MX-500. I’m trying to get the Hopper 3 integrated into my entertainment system with the minimum of change. And using an IR/Hopper remote to train my existing MX-500 is the simplest means right now.

However, the MX-500 is a pain in the butt to program. And I wouldn’t be adverse to updating to a newer, more capable universal remote in the future. So I’m curious to know exactly which Harmony remote you are referring to.

But it’s just right now that converting to a new universal remote would be a lot of work that I’m trying to avoid in the short term.

Currently my IR system is configured for:
2 VIP722
1 now Hopper 3 (used to be an old VIP625)
1 AV Surround Sound tuner receiver
2 65” TVs
2 Apple TVs
1 DVD player
1 VCR (really)
2 Fireplaces
1 Front door camera
and the whole home lighting system.

This also includes a couple of custom bridge devices I built to bridge to some devices.

Additionally, once the Hopper 3 is fully integrated, I will be replacing the VIP722s with Joeys to retire the old DPP satellite configuration.

That’s a lot of retraining/redesign work that I want to put off until I get everything fundamentally working, and know it will all pass the WAF test.

How did you pair the older remotes to the Hopper 3? I tried the old IR 5.3 and IR/UHF 6.3 remotes that came with my VIP722s and couldn’t get either to work with the Hopper 3.
You don’t pair them, like you do with a remote that comes with a Hopper, 40, 50, 52…

You have to have the remote sent to “channel” 1 by holding the white set button down until all the lights come on, hit number one then hit the pound button and then the record button and the light should blink three times.

Older remotes that don’t have record functions should automatically be sent to channel one out of the box. And of course you have to enable the IR function of the hopper.

Pretty much what HipKat mentioned above, hold the white/clear sat button until all the buttons on the top light up, once they are let go, press 1 then # on the number pad. Just going to add that the 6.3 needs to be in IR mode and the key at the bottom (the plastic insert) needs to be set to tv1 (green) as well.

It’s an older, now discontinued, MX-500. I’m trying to get the Hopper 3 integrated into my entertainment system with the minimum of change. And using an IR/Hopper remote to train my existing MX-500 is the simplest means right now.

However, the MX-500 is a pain in the butt to program. And I wouldn’t be adverse to updating to a newer, more capable universal remote in the future. So I’m curious to know exactly which Harmony remote you are referring to.

But it’s just right now that converting to a new universal remote would be a lot of work that I’m trying to avoid in the short term.

Currently my IR system is configured for:
2 VIP722
1 now Hopper 3 (used to be an old VIP625)
1 AV Surround Sound tuner receiver
2 65” TVs
2 Apple TVs
1 DVD player
1 VCR (really)
2 Fireplaces
1 Front door camera
and the whole home lighting system.

This also includes a couple of custom bridge devices I built to bridge to some devices.

Additionally, once the Hopper 3 is fully integrated, I will be replacing the VIP722s with Joeys to retire the old DPP satellite configuration.

That’s a lot of retraining/redesign work that I want to put off until I get everything fundamentally working, and know it will all pass the WAF test.
If you are already paired for a 722 then you just teach it from that. It's the same functions.

As tjboston mentions, if your MX-500 is already programmed to control your 722 receiver all you have to do is set the Hopper 3 to IR and it will work just fine. The Hoppers will work with both 20 and 21 remotes that are 722 standard. It will even accept IR from a 5.3 remote. I think you are golden without a need to do anything with your entertainment system besides changing out to a Hopper and setting it to enable IR.

Reactions: HipKat and navychop
Problem solved with a long story.

I had forgotten how I first setup the two 722s and the 625 (it’s been more than fifteen years now!). When I set them up, they were all sitting next to each other hooked to the same TV so that I could swap back-and-forth and set them up with the same timers and favorites. To do this I had the 625 set to remote ID 1 and 722s set to remote IDs 2 and 3. After they were all setup, they were distributed about the house And the MX-500 remotes were programmed with the respective 5.3 remotes with those same remote IDs.

Now when I tried to use the old 5.3 remotes with the Hopper, I ended up inadvertently picking the remotes that were still programmed for remote IDs 2 and 3; the Hopper requires remote ID 1. That’s why they did work when I first tried them.

After playing with the remotes for a while, with the instructions here, I managed to get a 5.3 remote reprogrammed to remote ID 1, but also accidentally reprogrammed the 722, sitting right next to Hopper, to also respond to remote ID 1 (Again, they are right next to each other to easily copy timers and favorites to the Hopper). But now both receivers were responding to the same remote. When trying to do something on one receiver, bad stuff would happen on the other one; very confusing (and it didn’t help that my late night comprehension kept reading the instructions wrong).

After temporarily disabling IR reception on the Hopper, I managed to get the 722 reprogrammed to remote ID 2. then after reprogramming MX-500 remote with the respective 1 and 2 remote sets, I then had full independent IR control of both the 722 and the Hopper.

Whew, what a fiddly mess!

I ended up ordering a spare 20.0 remote because the 5.3 remote doesn’t have all of the buttons/functions on it for full Hopper control; mostly the color buttons, options, and some others. The 20.0 remote (which has those missing buttons/functions) will allow me to update the Hopper remote set on the MX-500 for full Hopper utilization.

Thanks you for all the patient answers and reminding me of what I had forgotten. The whole home AV system upgrade continues to the next steps.