Hopper 3 and External Drive

thepick48

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Arizona
I believe I am correct but wanted to verify. If I hook up a USB exernal harddrive to the Hopper 3, it will not record directly to it. I have to manually move programs each time. There is no way to expand the actual recording space to automatically make it record up to 4 TB without having to move the files correct?

For watching the programs I moved to the external drive, will they still show up in my recorded dvr list? Or do I have to change to that external drive and transfer them back again? Also can the Joeys view the files?

Really wish they would make the drives larger then 2 TB. Especially with the size of the 4K recordings.

I believe I am correct but wanted to verify. If I hook up a USB exernal harddrive to the Hopper 3, it will not record directly to it. I have to manually move programs each time. There is no way to expand the actual recording space to automatically make it record up to 4 TB without having to move the files correct?

For watching the programs I moved to the external drive, will they still show up in my recorded dvr list? Or do I have to change to that external drive and transfer them back again? Also can the Joeys view the files?

Really wish they would make the drives larger then 2 TB. Especially with the size of the 4K recordings.
In general, yes to all the above. Your EHD will show up as Sources on the DVR screen. You choose which one to bring up. EHDs will not be seen in Dish Anywhere, so that could be a reason you would transfer back to Hopper.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Current chipsets limit to 2TB. But a larger drive will mean more titles lost when there is an eventual failure.

Yes, all recordings go to the internal HDD. You can manually move programs back and forth. Or you can watch directly from the EHD.

You pick the source from a menu. In my case, LR HWS, MBR HWS or EHD. I have several EHDs. I have three RAID setups. Whichever source I pick, is the one whose contents are listed onscreen. They are not all jumbled together. I prefer it this way.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
In general, yes to all the above. Your EHD will show up as Sources on the DVR screen. You choose which one to bring up. EHDs will not be seen in Dish Anywhere, so that could be a reason you would transfer back to Hopper.

Not the answers I really wanted but at least my research was right. Assuming any 2 TB USB 3.0 external drive should work?

Not the answers I really wanted but at least my research was right. Assuming any 2 TB USB 3.0 external drive should work?
Yes, and it might even see the entire 3. Several have reported they work. But don't be surprised if it will only recognize 2TB.

Reactions: charlesrshell
How do you know which ones are supported by Dish?
ANY self powered, up to 2TB ehd is supported is "officially" supported. People are using larger ones, as I indicated.

Last edited:
I'll be interested in your results; for me, no matter what EHD I use, every morning it disappears from my DVR list, and I have to reboot 1-3 times to get it to show back up. Once it's back, it's fine until whatever happens in the wee hours of the morning to lose it again.

I've also used passive EHD's (not powered) and they work fine, but beware it might tax the voltage output from the USB port and could cause failure over time (although that's never happened to me)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)