Hopper 3 and Roku 5 GHz WiFi issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My Hopper 3 is in my bedroom and I have a Roku streaming stick as well. Both are tuned in on my Linksys WRT1900AC's 5 Ghz band and the router is in the next room over so they get excellent signal. Last night someone in the house started watching Netflix from a (all my Joeys are wired) Joey while I was already watching content on the Roku and the Roku came to a screeching halt and kept staying "lost connection." Once I realized what was happening I had the Netflix session paused and then the Roku came back to life. I had the Netflix session resume and the same thing happened again. Then I changed the Hopper 3 to the 2.4 GHz band and I no longer had any issues. In addition, the Netflix session on the Joey never had issues. It's almost as if the Hopper 3 had priority over everything else.

Any ideas as to what happened and why it cleared up when I changed the Hopper 3 to another band?

My Hopper 3 is in my bedroom and I have a Roku streaming stick as well. Both are tuned in on my Linksys WRT1900AC's 5 Ghz band and the router is in the next room over so they get excellent signal. Last night someone in the house started watching Netflix from a (all my Joeys are wired) Joey while I was already watching content on the Roku and the Roku came to a screeching halt and kept staying "lost connection." Once I realized what was happening I had the Netflix session paused and then the Roku came back to life. I had the Netflix session resume and the same thing happened again. Then I changed the Hopper 3 to the 2.4 GHz band and I no longer had any issues. In addition, the Netflix session on the Joey never had issues. It's almost as if the Hopper 3 had priority over everything else.

Any ideas as to what happened and why it cleared up when I changed the Hopper 3 to another band?
Check you priority settings on your router. Could be the Hopper is prioritized. You can set the router to not play favorites,

Reactions: charlesrshell

How good is the Roku's wireless connection normally? If it is slow enough to begin with, the activity of the Joey streaming through the Hopper's wi-fi connection might be enough to raise the noise floor to the point where the Roku could not maintain the connection. Also, how close are the Roku and the Hopper to each other? If they are close enough, the Hopper might be able to overpower the Roku stick's signal. I am not familiar with the Roku stick's RF profile, but I'd guess anything that can run off a TV's USB port isn't going to put out that much signal.

Reactions: pattykay
How good is the Roku's wireless connection normally? If it is slow enough to begin with, the activity of the Joey streaming through the Hopper's wi-fi connection might be enough to raise the noise floor to the point where the Roku could not maintain the connection. Also, how close are the Roku and the Hopper to each other? If they are close enough, the Hopper might be able to overpower the Roku stick's signal. I am not familiar with the Roku stick's RF profile, but I'd guess anything that can run off a TV's USB port isn't going to put out that much signal.
The Roku gets a very good connection as does the Hopper. The Hopper and Roku are 3 feet apart.

I've run into this as well.. but with a streaming stick and a premier. Fire up the stick and the premier loses wifi. Opted to just use 2.4 Ghz band and it works fine.
It's an "interference" setting.. no idea why they'd do that. Google Roku wifi interference if below link doesn't work.

How to prevent Roku Wifi Direct from breaking 5ghz devices | Net Consonance
Now that it's been a couple of days with no issues I'm beginning to think along those lines too. It's working ;)

Yeah many times hardware devices like the Roku and the Hopper as well have better results with 2.4 Ghz due to one 2.4 Ghz the footprint is bigger. Also some hardware devices depending on the model and year their built in wire less cards just work better with 2.4 Ghz. So it will always vary from device to device but as far as the Hopper goes its best to just have a deca or the Internet box plugged directly into your router then let it pass the internet connection to all of your Dish equipment. This way its hardwired and you don't half to have a drop to every room plus its more reliable as well. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yeah many times hardware devices like the Roku and the Hopper as well have better results with 2.4 Ghz due to one 2.4 Ghz the footprint is bigger. Also some hardware devices depending on the model and year their built in wire less cards just work better with 2.4 Ghz. So it will always vary from device to device but as far as the Hopper goes its best to just have a deca or the Internet box plugged directly into your router then let it pass the internet connection to all of your Dish equipment. This way its hardwired and you don't half to have a drop to every room plus its more reliable as well. :)
My house is hardwired but unfortunately the Hopper is in my bedroom which isn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)