Hopper 3 and Solo Hub

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
i almost pulled the trigger on a hopper 3 yesterday, but when I started thinking about a new hybrid lnb and solo hub, I balked at it for the moment.
I can understand the need for the hybrid lnb, but I do wonder if a the old single node would work in place of the sole hub? I can imagine the hub is simple and cheap, but if a node works I have a couple.
For now I’m switching one of my HWS boxes with a 4K Joey. We’ll see if 3 tuners and 1 sling is enough for the wife, a 2 and a six year old and me!

Just to add a little to my above post...

A Hybrid LNB and hubs can be used with a Hopper 1, a Hopper 2 and a Super Joey but a node can not be used with a Hybrid LNB or Hybrid switch.

Or you could put a DPH 42 Switch in front of the dish. But you still would need the Solo Hub.

I can understand the switching nature of the hub, but if it is just passing frequencies, would it work?

If your question is will a node work with a Hopper 3 and Hybrid LNB the answer is no.

If you don't have any Joeys then you don't need a hub with Hybrid. Just run the wire from the LNB to the Hopper.

I mis typed. I meant to say node. The Joey side of a hub is a filter, and the satellite side does switching, correct? If no switching occurs, would it simply pass the signals through that line?

There's no switching in the hub. Yes, the hub simply passes the signals through.

A node is a completely different story.

I mis typed. I meant to say node. The Joey side of a hub is a filter, and the satellite side does switching, correct? If no switching occurs, would it simply pass the signals through that line?
I am unsure why you are trying to make this hard. You cannot use a node in a Hopper 3 hybrid environment, period. With hybrid systems, a Hopper 3 requirement, you either have a hub if you have Joeys or a straight coax from the dish to the Hopper if you don't. It's that simple. A node will not pass through the signals for a Hopper 3, it's not designed to pass 16 channels. You can buy a hub at solidsignal.com for $7 or at Amazon for $12.

Reactions: JSheridan
I am unsure why you are trying to make this hard. You cannot use a node in a Hopper 3 hybrid environment, period. With hybrid systems, a Hopper 3 requirement, you either have a hub if you have Joeys or a straight coax from the dish to the Hopper if you don't. It's that simple. A node will pass through the signals for a Hopper 3, it's not designed to pass 16 channels. You can buy a hub at solidsignal.com for $7 or at Amazon for $12.

Bobby,

I'm not making it hard. I'm simply asking a question. If the satellite side of the node passes signal (950-2000 Hz) and doesn't switch between input 1 and input 2, does it matter.

If the answer is "The node blocks the signal between a Hopper 3 and a hybrid LNB because the signal from the hopper (meant to go straight to the hybrid LNB) is processed incorrectly by the node, effectively making the node an active switch, preventing the Hybrid LNB from switching," I'm fine with that.

The answer of a hub is only $7 is the "I don't know how it works" answer.

Bobby,

I'm not making it hard. I'm simply asking a question. If the satellite side of the node passes signal (950-2000 Hz) and doesn't switch between input 1 and input 2, does it matter.

If the answer is "The node blocks the signal between a Hopper 3 and a hybrid LNB because the signal from the hopper (meant to go straight to the hybrid LNB) is processed incorrectly by the node, effectively making the node an active switch, preventing the Hybrid LNB from switching," I'm fine with that.

If you can't accept the answers from those that know just take one of your nodes and put it in line and see if they are correct.

Reactions: bobvick and Bobby
Bobby,

OK, let's put it like this: Why can't I receive AM radio on my FM tuner?

OK, let's try this: why doesn't an apple taste like an orange..... Simply because they are an entirely different fruit. Dish Legacy technology is entirely different than Dish Hybrid technology. A Hopper 3 requires hybrid technology. It requires that hybrid be used throughout the system. The only caveat to that is that you are able to use legacy DPP LNBs if you insert a DPH-42 switch between the LNB and the hub or Hopper 3... The DPH-42 switch is capable of converting the legacy signal to a hybrid signal.

Now, let's go just a bit further into your need to answer the question. Legacy systems are capable of 3 tuners. It is required to use 2 coaxes from the dish to the node. If you use just one, you get just 2 tuners. Hybrid systems for Hopper 3 use 1 coax to the Hybrid hub or Hopper 3 and are capable of 16 tuners....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)