Hopper 3 and surge/spike protection on Coax and HDMI

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
Greetings everyone:

Is anyone here using in-line surge/spike protection on the incoming Coax cable? What about for the HDMI? If something fried the Hopper 3, will it also kill things on the HDMI output? Thanks!

Greetings everyone:

Is anyone here using in-line surge/spike protection on the incoming Coax cable? What about for the HDMI? If something fried the Hopper 3, will it also kill things on the HDMI output? Thanks!

I have the coax on in line surge protection. The hopper is sending power via coax to the LNB on the dish, so if the dish is struck with lightning it would for sure follow back to the hopper and any other connected receivers. The hdmi isn’t necessary to protect if the coax is because the surge protector will stop it at the coax in/out port.

I actually recommend everyone do this because without surge protection on the coax line the electricity from the lightning strike would follow all the way back to the receiver and possibly follow the video connection to the tv and fry everything. The other thing would be to ground the dish with a wire going into the ground. I would then even still have the coax protected. Rather be safe than sorry. I doubt dish covers damage done to receivers due to “acts of god”.

Reactions: Almighty1
The dish and coax from it are supposed to be grounded before it enters your home. Nodes, switches and hubs are designed as grounding points, or a ground block can be used. This is supposed to protect equipment from "near misses" but not a direct hit. A direct lightning strike will deliver thousands of amps and nothing will protect gear in the house even if properly grounded.

I doubt a surge suppressor with coax pass-though would improve on this but if you choose to do so, make sure the coax connection is rated at 3 GHz or you could loose your satellite signal.

The dish and coax from it are supposed to be grounded before it enters your home. Nodes, switches and hubs are designed as grounding points, or a ground block can be used. This is supposed to protect equipment from "near misses" but not a direct hit. A direct lightning strike will deliver thousands of amps and nothing will protect gear in the house even if properly grounded.

I doubt a surge suppressor with coax pass-though would improve on this but if you choose to do so, make sure the coax connection is rated at 3 GHz or you could loose your satellite signal.

That's true too, I guess having some protection is better than nothing at all. The surge protectors seems to only do up to 5Mhz-2.3Ghz as shown here:
Amazon product ASIN B0155AGROC
Other sites still have this for sale. The ones used by CATV companies from TTi only handles up to 1.5Ghz so that one is out of the question.

Have found nothing at 3Ghz yet since do satellite even use 3Ghz as even splitters don't go to 3Ghz yet. I've only seen grounding blocks, coaxial cable and F-81 couplers do 3Ghz, the first and last can be identified with blue cores.

littlecloud319, which in-line surge protector are you using?

That's true too, I guess having some protection is better than nothing at all. The surge protectors seems to only do up to 5Mhz-2.3Ghz as shown here:
Amazon product ASIN B0155AGROC
Other sites still have this for sale. The ones used by CATV companies from TTi only handles up to 1.5Ghz so that one is out of the question.

Have found nothing at 3Ghz yet since do satellite even use 3Ghz as even splitters don't go to 3Ghz yet. I've only seen grounding blocks, coaxial cable and F-81 couplers do 3Ghz, the first and last can be identified with blue cores.

littlecloud319, which in-line surge protector are you using?

It’s made by Monster Power model AV725

It has two coaxial in/outs

It hasn’t caused any problems yet so apparently it’s capable.

Bought amazon awhile ago
Monster - Monster Power AV 725 8-Outlet Surge Protector 121800-00 Amazon product ASIN B00CYHL54M

On eBay right now for $20
Monster Power MP AV 725 PowerCenter Surge Protector - 8 Outlets - 2160 Joules | eBay

I have this but haven't plugged the coaxials in as it seems to indicate on the box it will handle any cable/satellite signal so it should work.

https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_299M5400PM/Panamax-M5400-PM.html

I'm probably going to use what I posted earlier since some guy apparently used the Tii 1.5Ghz one and when lightning strikes on cable, it kills his splitter so he added a DC block and a spike protector, both from Holland Electronics and never had problems since.

I got a TT3G50F which works up to 3ghz. I found out about from SatGuys in forum post. It is made by Alpha Delta Communications Alpha Delta Communications . The following from a link on the left side of the page to a pdf http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pdf/TT3G50F-2.pdf which describes the one with the needed F connector. I used one on the H3 at the receiver as well as one at the Joey. BTW, I also put one right before my cable modem. If the surge protector part blows, you can replace it and not have to "cut" it out and put in a new one. Just screw in another protector.

I emailed AD and asked if it was ok to do that as opposed to mounting at the ground block (or hybrid hub in my case) because I read in the pdf that it should work. He said it is not best, but it can help.

The reason behind my choice is that my hybrid hub is outside in a box and the coax travels on the outside wall to the H3 in one direction and to the Joey in another. If a nearby strike were to hit, the surge might travel toward the equipment as well as the hub which is grounded. I want to protect the H3 and joey in case that happens and having the TT3G50F right before the receivers can do that.

I understand that in a direct strike, all bets are off. However, a nearby strike can cause a "wash" of electricity that might be picked up on a coax. These surge protectors should be better than nothing and even better than running through a UPS; / anti surge type device. Aside from possibly not having the frequency range needed to pass a signal, I have read that it is not the best idea to protect low voltage equipment from surges on the consumer type UPS devices which makes sense to me.

I have had no issues with these at all. In fact, I do not see lower levels when I check the sats/transponders in diagnostics, have had no picture loss or pixelation, and MOCA signal is still always good and the screen that shows throughput has not changed.. I am on EA (2 sats) so according to the Dish info I have, my signals probably are not going much over 2150mhz anyway.

I bought mine off ebay (search for Alpha Delta TT3G50F (make sure you get the F). They are less expensive than buying from AD. The replacement plugs are only $15 according to Alpha Delta.

BradleyD, excellent that you found one that does 3Ghz. It seems that they run about $17 each on eBay for the entire unit so $15 just for the replacement plug would actually be expensive when it's only $2 more for an entire new one. Do these protect against Spike too or just surge? For this one, I wished it was a male F connector on one side as one would need another coax cable or by using a male F to male F adapter.

Last edited:
Reading the first link I posted and other links on the page shows that these are military certified. The plug (3G50 Arc Plug) and the TT3G50 (and I assume F) base have Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) National Stock Numbers (NSN) according to the information on the page. They also supply civilian equipment for radio (I assume HAM) operators. Additionally, when reading other pdfs on the site, "spike" protection is referenced. I suggest you read through the site including pdfs to get more information. I am confident that these are quality devices at this point.

Regarding buying an entire new protector, that is obviously up to choice. I would prefer to buy just the arc plug and replace it even though it is only a couple of $$ less expensive than the full device on ebay and not throw away the base. The link below leads you to a listed supplier of AD parts and gives a $14.95 price for the arc plug (200W). The full device from a "real" supplier runs in the $60+ range as I found on the same site DX although you can order direct from AD. I need to get some spares sometime soon and haven't decided whether to call AD or go with DX.

Alpha Delta Surge Protector Replacement Arc-Plug® Cartridges - 3G50-ARC-PLUG

Regarding Almighty1's comment on F connectors, I ordered some short coax cables from Amazon (4 pack of 6 inch) (can't post link, IM me if you want it) . The same guy has singles and I believe other package sizes with different lengths. The cable is Heavy-Duty 3 GHz Commscope Tri-Shield. I understand the F connectors he uses are Dish approved. Like I wrote, it works fine for me.

Seems like it is quality from reading the information. I also saw that thread you referenced in another thread when you originally were looking for a protector, did you ever find out what the competing products were from the other brands mentioned? CommScope are quality cables but I might need to use one outside for CATV right after the ground block and it seems the cable companies with the PPC connectors is able to get a rubber part on the front of the connector to do the weathershield which I have not been able to find elsewhere since I would need to find some way to weathershield it. The male F to male F adapters would work but the problem is you really want something flexible since one accident and you'll break something.

I may have found another competitor or 2, but it has been a while since I did the research. I then waited a while to buy. From what I recall, the protector I bought was clearly the best in my opinion. You could ask the seller (Amazon or whoever )about those rubber parts. I'm pretty sure a seller could do it for you (put the rubber cover on each end then the F connector). I asked comcast about it when I got gigabit service a few months ago because the one directly to my modem has one. They seem to be using them on their inside connections a lot, though he said it is not necessary (obviously) at the modem.

You could also put the connection in a box. I mounted a box for Dish to run my cable. I had to switch to EA and wanted the hub in a box. My old WA setup was directly exposed to weather.

Yeah, seems like a good protector although the others said other brands were good too except I have no idea what to look for. I mean someone else on dslreports.com tried searching for something that was above 1.5Ghz and did not find anything. It seems like Comcast has connectors with the rubber already on it, I see Amazon does sell the rubber parts separately but I wonder how do you put them on so it actually seals. I think these are the connectors that Comcast uses although the current ones from a few weeks ago seems to have a clear transparent seal.
Amazon product ASIN B00BNFP6VO
These are the rubber seals one can buy but I wonder where one puts it so it actually seals, probably on the male side and when you screw it, it will just compress but that will only work if the threading part isn't the very long ones:
Amazon product ASIN B06XJ1WB83

Jim's Cable World actually has a website here so you can buy direct without going through Amazon:
Jim's Cable World

What I find interesting is on the 4 pack of 1/2" cables, it does say 3Ghz cables and copper cladded which means it's not a pure copper conductor and really copper cladded steel:
~ 6" Inch Coaxial Cable 4 Pack ~ Only $17.97 *Plus Free S&H ~ MPN # 7414272174124 - Jim's Cable World

In this section, it does mention Aqua Tight fittings which I think is the rubber weathershield I was talking about but the cable is only 2.3Ghz and not 3Ghz:
About Me - Jim's Cable World

I mean when one is spending that much, might as well get the best cable which is the Belden 1694A that is 4.5Ghz, the best connectors are supposedly the Canare which actually has a crimped pin except it seems like the Compression connector people are against it so one can get it using compression connectors or just buy the cable and make their own like the ones here:
(3)6" RG-6 Belden 1694A cable with PPC CMP 6 F Connector

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts