Hopper 3 authorization from satellite or internet (or both)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

grc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
USA
Pardon the double posting. I asked too many questions in a previous thread and this one seems to have gotten lost.

I may be without a satellite signal for a couple of months. It sounds like that even if I don't pause my account that at some point the receiver will sense a lack of authorization from the satellite and I will no longer be able to watch things I've recorded. Is that correct? -OR- will it authorize via the internet even without a satellite signal?

Thanks.

IIRC recordings already on the Hopper can be played while not connected to an actual dish, but there is about a one month period that limits the time available for watching.

The internet connection is irrelevant, authorizing is done from Dish to the receiver via satellite.

IIRC recordings already on the Hopper can be played while not connected to an actual dish, but there is about a one month period that limits the time available for watching.

The internet connection is irrelevant, authorizing is done from Dish to the receiver via satellite.

Thanks - that helps. I remembered seeing that I could activate a Dish receiver via the Internet but knew that wasn't the same thing as the authorization ping.
I'll know more where I stand on things the middle of next week.

And Dish also sends a key--like a re-authorization--to all activated boxes over a set time of hours, days, weeks, or however long, and if the box does not receive one of those keys, then you lose authorization and the box will not function. Then you have to have Dish hit for authorization for them to work again. Just an FYI.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Happily, at least for me, the question became moot as we were able to set up our tripod and dish as we usually do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)