Hopper 3 changes TV HDMI input

John SR

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2023
Colorado
Hopper 3 install one week ago with one Joey. TV (Samsung) has Hopper 3 on HDMI 1 and Joey on 2. When Hopper chooses to reboot (middle of night) or if I pull AC power from Hopper, after restart the TV has been switched from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 even if it was previously set to HDMI 1. Then I have to manually switch TV input back to HDMI 1.

Hopper 3 install one week ago with one Joey. TV (Samsung) has Hopper 3 on HDMI 1 and Joey on 2. When Hopper chooses to reboot (middle of night) or if I pull AC power from Hopper, after restart the TV has been switched from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 even if it was previously set to HDMI 1. Then I have to manually switch TV input back to HDMI 1.
Do Samsungs have a setting for Default HDMI Input. Most TVs do

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think problem solved. Samsung (and likely other TV"s) have "Anynet+" which auto switches input to active device. I believe the Joey is booting up faster than the Hopper, and Samsung is seeing it (on HDMI 2) first, and switching from 1 to 2. I turned off Anynet+ and problem is gone.
That Anynet+ is so annoying.

Disconnect the Joey from HDMI 2 on the Samsung TV. Thus the Hopper3 will be the only connection on HDMI 1. The Joey can still connect to the HDMI Splitter which feeds your other TVs and the Hopper3 can still connect to your HDMI splitter to feed other TVs. Since the Joey is no longer connected to your Samsung TV it will not change your inputs.

I have a big house with many TV's. Both Hopper and Joey feed HDMI splitters that go everywhere. So each TV has access to both Hopper and Joey.
That would be a possibility but in this case setting the Anynet+ to off has solved the problem. So I'm pretty sure with it on the Tv saw an input from HDMI2 (the Joey) and switched from HDMI 1 to 2. That would presuppose that the Joey was booting up faster than the Hopper, which I think was the case.

That would be a possibility but in this case setting the Anynet+ to off has solved the problem. So I'm pretty sure with it on the Tv saw an input from HDMI2 (the Joey) and switched from HDMI 1 to 2. That would presuppose that the Joey was booting up faster than the Hopper, which I think was the case.
The Hopper and/or Joey should not be "booting up" at all unless you unplug them.

"when hopper CHOOSES to reboot"
It should not be rebooting at night or any time.

"when hopper CHOOSES to reboot"
It should not be rebooting at night or any time.
Better term would have been "daily reset". The problem showed up during night when the Hopper did the daily reset. After which the TV switched from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. While troubleshooting, I did a hard reset by pulling power to the Hopper. Eventually concluded that the problem was the TV "Anynet+", which I turned off. I concluded that when I did the hard reset (pulling power) or hopper did its daily reset, the Joey was coming back quicker than the Hopper and thus the TV was switching to HDMI 2.

Better term would have been "daily reset". The problem showed up during night when the Hopper did the daily reset. After which the TV switched from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. While troubleshooting, I did a hard reset by pulling power to the Hopper. Eventually concluded that the problem was the TV "Anynet+", which I turned off. I concluded that when I did the hard reset (pulling power) or hopper did its daily reset, the Joey was coming back quicker than the Hopper and thus the TV was switching to HDMI 2.
I'm unaware of any "daily reset". Mine certainly doesn't. Receivers will often restart when there's an issue between the dish and tv, and that is fixable.
The only required restart is once a month after a software update.
BTW, my Sony tvs automatically switch inputs any time a remote button is pushed. It's fantastic.

I'm unaware of any "daily reset". Mine certainly doesn't. Receivers will often restart when there's an issue between the dish and tv, and that is fixable.
The only required restart is once a month after a software update.
BTW, my Sony tvs automatically switch inputs any time a remote button is pushed. It's fantastic.
On my Hopper 3, go to Settings, Power. Have selection for how many hours of inactivity before reset, and selection for hour of reset.

7EAA52C2-1A03-431A-90A4-68CD3FC5E356.jpeg

READ the third line of the photo of the Hopper 3 power settings.

It shows daily rest time!