Hopper 3 EHD Questions

dgcarver

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
I have two Hopper 3’s connected via a DPH42 switch. My wife uses one for all her recordings, and I use the other for mine and also use mine in the RV when traveling. I have a 2TB EHD on my unit. I would like to transfer her recordings to my EHD when we travel and back when we return.

1. I've played with them as they are connected now and found out that I can copy her recordings from her hopper to my EHD, but cannot copy them back. Her Hopper does not recognize my EHD, is that normal?

2. Do I have to power down or reboot the Hopper 3 in order to plug or unplug an EHD?

3. Can I take an EHD from one hopper 3 and plug into another Hopper 3 and transfer just a few recordings to and from, or do I have to do them all?

4. I am also considering just adding another EHD to her unit and then take her EHD with us and plug both EHD into my Hopper in the RV. Will that work? That would ensure our recordings don't get mixed up and keep us both happy. That does make more sense since I loose the ability to use directories on the EHD.

Which Hopper 3 is the EHD physically connected to now? Did you leave it hooked up to the same Hopper 3 the entire time, or did you unhook it and move it to your wife's Hopper 3? It may need to be directly connected to that Hopper 3, in order for it to be recognized by it.

Which Hopper 3 is the EHD physically connected to now? Did you leave it hooked up to the same Hopper 3 the entire time, or did you unhook it and move it to your wife's Hopper 3? It may need to be directly connected to that Hopper 3, in order for it to be recognized by it.
It has been connected all the time to my Hopper. I have not tried moving it yet. That is why I posted the questions as I wanted to make sure it was possible without shutting them both down. Should the non-EHD Hopper be able to see the EHD files on the EHD Hopper? I can see the Hopper files on my Hopper from my wife's Hopper and visa-versa,.

It has been connected all the time to my Hopper. I have not tried moving it yet. That is why I posted the questions as I wanted to make sure it was possible without shutting them both down. Should the non-EHD Hopper be able to see the EHD files on the EHD Hopper? I can see the Hopper files on my Hopper from my wife's Hopper and visa-versa,.
If the transfer worked, from her Hopper to your EHD, with the EHD connected to your Hopper, then I am thinking that your Hopper is acting as a go-between, since it can see both her Hopper and your EHD. However, to transfer recordings back from the EHD, I am thinking that will only work on the Hopper that is directly connected to the EHD, not through the other Hopper. Just make sure you turn the power off to the EHD before you unhook it. Then, connect it to the other Hopper and power it back on again. There is no need to shut down the Hoppers.

If the transfer worked, from her Hopper to your EHD, with the EHD connected to your Hopper, then I am thinking that your Hopper is acting as a go-between, since it can see both her Hopper and your EHD. However, to transfer recordings back from the EHD, I am thinking that will only work on the Hopper that is directly connected to the EHD, not through the other Hopper. Just make sure you turn the power off to the EHD before you unhook it. Then, connect it to the other Hopper and power it back on again. There is no need to shut down the Hoppers.
That is what I was thinking also. When I select to transfer files from my EHD it will only allow to my Hopper, but when I use DVR to watch a show it will show my wife's if I select it. What do you think about having two EHD on one Hopper? Thanks for you help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)