OTA

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
Where my house is I need to move my antenna sometimes when I want to watch different channels over the air. If my channel starts to pixelate my Hopper 3 will reboot before I get a chance to move my antenna. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my case, bad reception (pixilation) does not reboot Hopper 3. Tv screen shows antenna is trying to get a stronger signal. I just use remote and change the channel.

Whether the Hopper3 reboots depends on how weak the OTA signal is. My Hopper3 will reboot if the OTA signal is lost on the channel I am tuned to. But if the OTA signal is weak I get pixelation of the OTA channel.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not when I still had a Wally. Wow, things have gotten worse since I stopped using them.

It's really the only issue I've had with the Wally, other than things just moving slower than I would like. It takes 2-3 seconds to bring the guide up, and I like the 6 channel recall bar but sometimes it will be blank when I hit the recall button.

I only have problems receiving one OTA channel - I'm 12 miles from all the towers (they're all located on the same mountain) and using an attic antenna. The channel I have problems with will bounce from 100% to 60% and then right back to 100%. My old ViP and the TV tuner also have issues with this channel as well, so it's not all on the Wally. It's really odd because all other channels are fine.

It's really the only issue I've had with the Wally, other than things just moving slower than I would like. It takes 2-3 seconds to bring the guide up, and I like the 6 channel recall bar but sometimes it will be blank when I hit the recall button.

I only have problems receiving one OTA channel - I'm 12 miles from all the towers (they're all located on the same mountain) and using an attic antenna. The channel I have problems with will bounce from 100% to 60% and then right back to 100%. My old ViP and the TV tuner also have issues with this channel as well, so it's not all on the Wally. It's really odd because all other channels are fine.
Look up the power output of that station. I wonder if they're putting out much more power than others and the receivers are getting overloaded.

Also, is the channel in question adjacent to another channel? I've seen that cause problems also.

Reactions: dishdude
My Hopper3 will reboot if the OTA signal is lost on the channel I am tuned to.
Do you have the AirTV dual adapter? I haven't seen this happen on my setup with an H3 and the AirTV dual.
I was just messing with my antenna and I turned off its preamp while the H3 was tuning an OTA channel, with complete signal loss, and it did not reboot. Wondering if this behavior depends on which OTA dongle people are using.

Do you have the AirTV dual adapter? I haven't seen this happen on my setup with an H3 and the AirTV dual.

Yes, I am using the white AirTV dual tuner on both of my Hopper3 receivers.
I receive both Dayton and Columbus stations. Depending on the direction of my rotor, either some Dayton channels or some low power Columbus stations can have low signals. My Hopper3 does not reboot every time the signal is lost but it does reboot at least 25% of the time. I also agree that playing back a weak recorded OTA signal can cause a reboot.

By the way a weak OTA signal has caused my Amazon Recast TV to go offline. When this happens I have to power cycle the Recast to get it to work again.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Look up the power output of that station. I wonder if they're putting out much more power than others and the receivers are getting overloaded.

Also, is the channel in question adjacent to another channel? I've seen that cause problems also.

KPHO is the one I am having issues with. Can't figure it out....

Screenshot 2021-01-01 182236.png

a weak OTA signal has caused my Amazon Recast TV to go offline.
This of course caused me to go find out what an "Amazon Recast" was. Nice. 4 tuners, 1TB for $280. If I ever get sick of it all, I will consider one of those, as I've got Alexa all over the house and I could tell her to tell it what to do. For a few years, I was anti-pay-TV and I had my HTPC laptop with Windows Media Center and a couple of Hauppauge adapters doing some serious DVRing. WMC was a good piece of software, sadly gone with Windows 10. So a box like the Recast is a nice item.

KPHO is the one I am having issues with. Can't figure it out....

View attachment 149594
I still like the adjacent channel explanation. You have a low-power K18JL on real channel 18, which is right next to KPHO on real channel 17. It is possible your Wally got "confused" on the OTA scan, and is sometimes displaying the strength for the wrong channel while you are watching KPHO. I used to have a similar issue (displaying the strength for the wrong station, with a signal loss message on the screen) on one of my Wally after a bad OTA scan messed things up. Another OTA scan (at a time when all of the stations were actually coming in with a stronger signal than I normally get) fixed that problem. So, a re-scan may not hurt in your case, either.

I still like the adjacent channel explanation. You have a low-power K18JL on real channel 18, which is right next to KPHO on real channel 17. It is possible your Wally got "confused" on the OTA scan, and is sometimes displaying the strength for the wrong channel while you are watching KPHO. I used to have a similar issue (displaying the strength for the wrong station, with a signal loss message on the screen) on one of my Wally after a bad OTA scan messed things up. Another OTA scan (at a time when all of the stations were actually coming in with a stronger signal than I normally get) fixed that problem. So, a re-scan may not hurt in your case, either.
KPHE is on real channel 16. Also a low power, but more received at dishdude's location. And he says his TV has reception problems on KPHE, so it's not just a Wally issue.

KPHO is also putting out a megawatt. But so is KPAZ and KTVK. Neither of those have adjacent channels that I can see from the chart above.

I have problems receiving a couple of my OTA channels. When I turn the receiver on, my Wally sometimes gets confused if it can't get a signal from that channel. My solution is to always leave the Wally on a satellite channel when I shut things down. It's never re-booted for that reason though.

"Amazon Recast"
If u r a prime member, this dvr could be very useful. No monthly fees. But, you can't directly connect it to tv. I think you have to use wifi and stream. (Somebody tell me I am wrong!) Does that mean it will burn all that data? If u r a rural bird like me with limited Internet, that's a no-no.

Yes, my initial read on this box was that it would connect to your TV. You're right, it does not. It casts its recordings to a Fire Stick or other Fire device. It looks like it transcodes everything down to 720p. It looks like it only uses your internal wifi network to cast to the Fire devices, so you wouldn't burn data. The transcoding down would be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, my initial read on this box was that it would connect to your TV. You're right, it does not. It casts its recordings to a Fire Stick or other Fire device. It looks like it transcodes everything down to 720p. It looks like it only uses your internal wifi network to cast to the Fire devices, so you wouldn't burn data. The transcoding down would be a deal breaker for me.

It still uses some internet data for the guide info. I wouldn’t think that would be much though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)