Hopper 3 external drives have disappeared

What s/w version do you have currently ? If you have U334, and you should, you can manually update to U336. Others are saying this has resolved their external HDD issue.

To manually update, press the HOME button (3) times, go to Tools, then pick the 'upgrade s/w' option.

334 does not have the EHD fix, but 336 does... of course 336 breaks other things so you will need to decide if you want to force the update to it or not.

What s/w version do you have currently ? If you have U334, and you should, you can manually update to U336. Others are saying this has resolved their external HDD issue.

To manually update, press the HOME button (3) times, go to Tools, then pick the 'upgrade s/w' option.
I'm on U336

To confirm what everyone else was saying, all three of my 2TB hard drives showed back up again once i forced the upgrade to 336.

I just had Hopper 3 installed this morning. It's on U334. I plugged in a 2tb drive I purchased a couple weeks ago and it immediately recognized the drive and it's been working great all day. But I also plugged in a 1tb drive that I've had for a few years. But the Hopper does not recognize it. The drive lights and spins up but nothing ever appears on my screen. I unplugged the new drive from the USB3.0 port and tried the other drive and still nothing. It worked fine yesterday with my HWS. Why would one drive work but not the other?

I just had Hopper 3 installed this morning. It's on U334. I plugged in a 2tb drive I purchased a couple weeks ago and it immediately recognized the drive and it's been working great all day. But I also plugged in a 1tb drive that I've had for a few years. But the Hopper does not recognize it. The drive lights and spins up but nothing ever appears on my screen. I unplugged the new drive from the USB3.0 port and tried the other drive and still nothing. It worked fine yesterday with my HWS. Why would one drive work but not the other?
Give it a few days. Hoppers take some time to get fully going. If it doesn't work after 72 hours come back and we'll give a little more advice.

Hey guys last night I received my U336 update and I can now see my external hard drive now but not use it and
I get a message saying "external device 1 is in spin up state... Wait for activation " .... what does this mean? Also on my external hard drive most of my programming is missing but it still states the original amount of percentage left ... thanks

I got U336 too and can now see my EHDs. For grins I plugged my portable Seagate 2TB USB powered drive in and it said to format so I did. It is working fine off the front USB port without AC power. Go figure!

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is that on the 52 remote.
How do I do it on a 40?

On the 40.0 press Menu twice.
I got to the Upgrade Software screen. The only choice is for the "latest" software, nothing specific about which version. I clicked it, it looked like it was downloading and rebooting, but no change, still on 334.
Is there a way to force 336?

I got to the Upgrade Software screen. The only choice is for the "latest" software, nothing specific about which version. I clicked it, it looked like it was downloading and rebooting, but no change, still on 334.
Is there a way to force 336?

Make sure nothing is being recorded and nothing is scheduled for at least an hour. Also make sure all your Joeys are turned off and then turn off (put in standby) the Hopper. After a few minutes the download should start. Don't mess with it until it's all done, usually about 20 or 30 minutes.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My experience going from 334 to 336 on my Hopper 3: Based on what I read here, I decided to force upgrade to 336. With 334 currently installed, I choose the upgrade option in Tools and even though it doesn't tell you anything, it took some time and started a reboot so I assumed it found an update. When it came back up, my version still said 334. So I thought they may have pulled 336 and rebooted my hopper for fun! Well, even though it appears to do nothing, all of a sudden NONE of my Joeys (three Joey 2.0's and four 4K Joeys) stopped working. Said they couldn't find the Hopper, yet it showed connected strong but unlinked. I was on the phone for a while with a tech and they made me redo everything I had already done several time (reboot both, check wiring, etc..). When she gave up and wanted to schedule a tech visit to check wiring that I know was good, I asked and received escalation to a higher tech level. He said I should have made sure my Joeys were in standby mode prior to the forced update so I went and put them all in standby (hit the power button on them to put them to sleep). He said they should update the next time the hopper checks their software version and notices that they are out of sync (the true problem). Next morning, I was good to go and my Hopper now said it is on 336. So I guess my recommended process for upgrading is (and read completerly because you may not want to!), 1. Put all Joeys in standby mode, 2. Force update the Hopper, 3. Go to bed, 4. Wake up to working receivers AND external drives, but now with THE DREADED HDCP ERROR TRYING TO WATCH HBO! So choose wisely. For me it appears I could either not have upgraded and have my premiums and no external drives, or upgrade and have external drives and no premiums until the next software fix. ARGHHHH!!!! Dish has been driving me nuts for the past year. P.S. Still no NetFlix on 4K Joeys. It's been a YEAR!!!

My experience going from 334 to 336 on my Hopper 3: Based on what I read here, I decided to force upgrade to 336. With 334 currently installed, I choose the upgrade option in Tools and even though it doesn't tell you anything, it took some time and started a reboot so I assumed it found an update. When it came back up, my version still said 334. So I thought they may have pulled 336 and rebooted my hopper for fun! Well, even though it appears to do nothing, all of a sudden NONE of my Joeys (three Joey 2.0's and four 4K Joeys) stopped working. Said they couldn't find the Hopper, yet it showed connected strong but unlinked. I was on the phone for a while with a tech and they made me redo everything I had already done several time (reboot both, check wiring, etc..). When she gave up and wanted to schedule a tech visit to check wiring that I know was good, I asked and received escalation to a higher tech level. He said I should have made sure my Joeys were in standby mode prior to the forced update so I went and put them all in standby (hit the power button on them to put them to sleep). He said they should update the next time the hopper checks their software version and notices that they are out of sync (the true problem). Next morning, I was good to go and my Hopper now said it is on 336. So I guess my recommended process for upgrading is (and read completerly because you may not want to!), 1. Put all Joeys in standby mode, 2. Force update the Hopper, 3. Go to bed, 4. Wake up to working receivers AND external drives, but now with THE DREADED HDCP ERROR TRYING TO WATCH HBO! So choose wisely. For me it appears I could either not have upgraded and have my premiums and no external drives, or upgrade and have external drives and no premiums until the next software fix. ARGHHHH!!!! Dish has been driving me nuts for the past year. P.S. Still no NetFlix on 4K Joeys. It's been a YEAR!!!
Ok, spoke too soon...With no software update (still U336), last night I was able to access my HBO channel, recordings and on demand without the HDCP error. So it appears to be a random issue. Never saw it before U336 and I know others have reported it. Hopefully I won't see it again.

Reactions: buist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)