Hopper 3 external drives have disappeared

Just upgraded from a 722K and had moved my saved shows to an EHD so I could move the shows to the Hopper 3. The hopper sees the drive but it is empty no recordings. The tech plugged in the 722K and the EHD and the shows are all there. I was told transferring shows from one DVR to another possible as long as they was on the same account.
If that upgrade just happened, like today, give it a few days to settle in. I would disconnect the EHD from the Hopper for that time. Then, three days after installation, plug it back in. Hoppers are a different animal than the other receivers and take some time updating all the new software.

I installed a Hopper 3 last Saturday and moved a working WD 250 GB EHD from the old ViP 622. The Hopper does not see the EHD at all. When I plug it in the EHD spins up but nothing pops up on the screen. Unplugging the EHD it spins down as expected but again nothing appears on the screen. When I access manage recordings, if I try and and transfer a program to the external drive it says "External Hard Drive Not Available." I called DISH and worked first with a tech and then an advanced tech. The advanced tech told me they have received 500 similar complaints and to give them 7-14 business days to see if it was fixed. It is definitely software related.

Reactions: Ray M
If that upgrade just happened, like today, give it a few days to settle in. I would disconnect the EHD from the Hopper for that time. Then, three days after installation, plug it back in. Hoppers are a different animal than the other receivers and take some time updating all the new software.

I am patiently waiting on my EHD to be recognized my 722k was rock solid but this hopper seems buggy and unreliable. Now the youtube app causes reboot every time, but the Netflix app seems to have fixed itself and works fine.

Add me to the list. I have 2 500gb and 1 1tb (wd my book) which were attached to H2K before I upgraded to H3 in January. All have been working fine until recently. Now the 500gb drives are still OK, but the 1tb MyBook is not recognized. I have rebooted, unplugged and plugged, etc. with no joy.

I installed a Hopper 3 last Saturday and moved a working WD 250 GB EHD from the old ViP 622. The Hopper does not see the EHD at all. When I plug it in the EHD spins up but nothing pops up on the screen. Unplugging the EHD it spins down as expected but again nothing appears on the screen. When I access manage recordings, if I try and and transfer a program to the external drive it says "External Hard Drive Not Available." I called DISH and worked first with a tech and then an advanced tech. The advanced tech told me they have received 500 similar complaints and to give them 7-14 business days to see if it was fixed. It is definitely software related.
Drives have been missing since 10/21 so don't expect it to be fixed in 7 - 14 days

This thread has me worried, I'm scheduled for an H3 install today and moved all of the stuff I care about to a 500gb WD drive. If I can't see those recordings on the new Hopper before the tech leaves, will he leave the H1 for me to send back later so I can do an ethernet copy to the H3?

Yup, if your old unit recognizes it, then I feel a little better that the new software doesn't corrupt the EHD's. Phew!

Someone at Dish or Echostar really messed up the USB drivers and that's why I think we haven't seen an update for a while. Still trying to be patient because my main drive is now almost 50% used up. Either they fix it or they give me a 2nd Hopper and free install to add more programming to or a whole bunch (TONS) of credits and free sh*t!

I sure hope someone from DIRT is monitoring this thread and reporting back that all is not right in WHOVille!

This thread has me worried, I'm scheduled for an H3 install today and moved all of the stuff I care about to a 500gb WD drive. If I can't see those recordings on the new Hopper before the tech leaves, will he leave the H1 for me to send back later so I can do an ethernet copy to the H3?

Insist that he does so you still can get to your content on the 722.

Drives have been missing since 10/21 so don't expect it to be fixed in 7 - 14 days

Actually, she said to check again in 7-14 business days to see if it was fixed and if not to call them again to see if they have a better fix date. I am NOT holding my breath. I am not too concerned though as my Hopper 3 is basically empty right now and have my old EHD in storage. I have been through the works with Dish over the last 16 years but eventually they fix the major issues.

My install went fine and my H3 saw the EHD without an issue. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I was also able to transfer my timers after about 10 attempts (the H3 kept saying it couldn't restore the settings), the Dish tech didn't even know that was possible so he learned something new :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Looks like new software went out tonight (U466) and I still don't see two of my three hard drives after the reboot. I'll know more when I get home and can power all of the hard drives off and on to see if they show up.

Update -- U466 was actually for my Joey, which I was remotely accessing when I did my last post. My Hopper still shows U331 and I still have no connection to 2 of my 3 external drives.

This is seriously annoying.

My H3 stopped recognizing my Toshiba 3GB drive a few months ago, recognized it for a few days this week, but is back to not recognizing it. So frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)