Hopper 3 for International Programming

I see Comedy Central actually listed 8 times as the HD is also on 110.
Am I correct that either one has 110/119/129 as a set or 61/72/77 as a set as it seems like the dish's will support one set but not both sets. And from that document I linked, it seems the installer was supposed to install something for 129 on the 500+ but didn't. Researching a bit further, it seems like the former is Western Arc and the later is Eastern Arc, are they basically the same channels. Any advantage of using one set vs the other in terms of the video and audio quality?

The HD Comedy Channels that you see on 110 are on spot beams for the Caribbean, they will not work in San Franscisco. You need the CONUS on 129 to get it in HD. Eastern and western arcs are determined by your geographic location and sign of sight. They are the same channels. The only outlier is 118 which has the internationals....

Reactions: Almighty1
The HD Comedy Channels that you see on 110 are on spot beams for the Caribbean, they will not work in San Franscisco. You need the CONUS on 129 to get it in HD. Eastern and western arcs are determined by your geographic location and sign of sight. They are the same channels. The only outlier is 118 which has the internationals....
At the same time as when you posted, the DISH installer showed up and what's funny is he was talking to me in Cantonese Chinese which is the only language we've been using for the last 6 minutes. He said he had to add a new DISH and it would be end up with 110, 118, 119 and 129. What satellite is the Comedy HD VOD Channel actually on or does VOD not even use satellite and basically just download using the internet? I'm actually surprised that with America's Top 250 for the installation, they didn't install support for 129, so basically I've been missing a lot of channels for the last 3+ years.

Looks like what he did was add a new 1000.2 DISH and then linked the old DISH, not sure which is the primary DISH since he didn't say. He didn't know about the Hopper doing the nightly shutoffs to standby mode and the software download is a slow process. He basically tuned into the international channel trying to use 9983 which is Jadeworld TVB 1 is on when using non-Hopper boxes and then I told him it's 626-01 after he tried entering it a few times. In the process, it seems like before doing the installation, he already had the screen cleaner in his hand that he later tried to sell me after installing the new DISH saying it's not free and before he connected the H3 up, he was trying to sell me a Audioquest Pearl Cable for $30 claiming that the free HDMI cable is not 4K compatible when I showed him my inventory of 18.0Gbps HDMI cables still sealed in the box. He tried to do the check switch for like 3 times which never completed after waiting 5 minutes each time and then just gave up and left and told me to play around with it. I did a reset of the DVR's power using the menu and the check switch completed in less than a minute flat.

A switch is used to split the signal from the LNBF coming in or to combine and then split more than one LNBF. When a switch is powered, the power travels along the coaxial cable and goes into a power inserter in the house. It really isn't anything for you to worry about, if your not the techie type about this stuff.
Right, and most switches do not require an external power source, but are, instead, powered by the Set-top-box (such as a Hopper). So nothing at all for the subscriber to even have any thought about in those scenarios. The only concern about having an external power inserter is that it needs to be connected to power that will always stay on, and not at, say, a flip switch that is connected to any outlets like those you may use to turn off and on your lamp, or at least secure that flip switch so it can't be shut off easily.

In one place I lived, I had to tape the flip switch to prevent anyone from accidentally shutting off the power (yes, they did shut power off a number of times) to the outlet that was powering my TV stuff including my Dish equipment, specifically my external power inserter. That was a long time ago and I was using the old SW64

Bobby, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions on the satellite. I can confirm that with the H3 with 110/118/119/129, I can now see the Comedy Central HD channel. I always thought if someone who had HD ordered a Hopper with a package like America Top 250, they should put in the 129 as part of the install, otherwise there will be a lack of HD channels.

Bobby, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions on the satellite. I can confirm that with the H3 with 110/118/119/129, I can now see the Comedy Central HD channel. I always thought if someone who had HD ordered a Hopper with a package like America Top 250, they should put in the 129 as part of the install, otherwise there will be a lack of HD channels.
You're welcome. I'm glad that you now have all of your channels in their proper format...

Reactions: Almighty1
Hey guys,

I used to have Dish before and now that I decided to go back with it, Hopper 3 with 2 Joeys, I'm having a 3rd technician already come out today to fix the issue with the 118 orbit..

I had a Dish installed on the roof already and when the installer came out to install the new Hopper 3, a new Dish was setup, with 3 LNBs and a single LNB left on the older dish (It was the only Dish I had before and it worked for everything I had..) Since I have Brasil Clube Package, it comes from 118 and on the Hopper 3 menu it shows up with a red "X". I wasn't home when the install took place and my dad was and the installer told him it would take "24-48 hours" for it to show up.. I wish I was at home at the time because that's just a Guide download if needed, not a satellite signal to come through.

Right now I can see 110, 119 and 129 but no 118 and on the menu it shows up as "Conn" and a red X. Today the 3rd technician is coming (who happens to be the one who installed it 2 days ago..).. Since it seems that he doesn't really know what he is doing (the 24-48 hour to work comment makes me think that..), do you guys have any recommendations on what exactly I should tell him when he comes by?

Thank you in advance,

Rafael

Hey guys,

I used to have Dish before and now that I decided to go back with it, Hopper 3 with 2 Joeys, I'm having a 3rd technician already come out today to fix the issue with the 118 orbit..

I had a Dish installed on the roof already and when the installer came out to install the new Hopper 3, a new Dish was setup, with 3 LNBs and a single LNB left on the older dish (It was the only Dish I had before and it worked for everything I had..) Since I have Brasil Clube Package, it comes from 118 and on the Hopper 3 menu it shows up with a red "X". I wasn't home when the install took place and my dad was and the installer told him it would take "24-48 hours" for it to show up.. I wish I was at home at the time because that's just a Guide download if needed, not a satellite signal to come through.

Right now I can see 110, 119 and 129 but no 118 and on the menu it shows up as "Conn" and a red X. Today the 3rd technician is coming (who happens to be the one who installed it 2 days ago..).. Since it seems that he doesn't really know what he is doing (the 24-48 hour to work comment makes me think that..), do you guys have any recommendations on what exactly I should tell him when he comes by?

Thank you in advance,

Rafael
The dish you had prior to the H3 install is a 1000+. There are two versions of the LNB assembly for this dish.

It is difficult to identify which LNB is in use from the ground. If you can inspect the dish and LNB closely, the old version will have a three separate LNBs: 119/118, 110 and 129. Each LNB output will be connected to an external DPP44 switch. It is this switch that is usually the easiest to spot without getting close to the dish. If you had this arrangement, the external switch must be bypassed with the 118 LNB output feeding the LNB IN on the Hybrid LNB on the new dish. But the configuration is known to work as reported elsewhere on SatelliteGuys.

The new version combines the feed horns for 119/118 and 110 into a single assembly. On the new version, the LNB for 129 connects to the LNB IN on the 119/118/110 LNB/switch assembly. Chances are slim you'll be able to make this system work. However:

Try connecting each port on the 119/118/110 LNB to the LNB IN port then on the new dish then run a check switch. If that doesn't work, you will need to locate an old style 119/118 LNB and replace what you have on your old dish. That LNB has been discontinued so it depends on what's in the installer's warehouse or what you can find on-line. I did find one listing on eBay for the old style:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DISH-NE...240471?hash=item1c2daa9d97:g:KiEAAOSwu4BV65Oh

Eventually, Dish is supposed to release a Hybrid switch (DPH44) that will take in 4 separate LNBs and produce the signal required for the H3 (supposedly TWO H3s). Best case would put availability towards the end of 2016, so this doesn't help you now.

Good luck

Hello fellow members!

I am in the exact same boat as the OP. I also live in SC and have the same South Asian programming as the OP. I called Dish again today to check on the status of this "compatibility issue" and was told the same as what they have been saying ("not yet"). One of the DIRT members here looked at my setup and confirmed that I cannot get the H3 at this time due to the 118 satellite.