Hopper 3 goes to sleep at random times.

chris sawtelle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
usa
My Hopper 3 goes to sleep regardless of what you are doing. It will go to sleep while scrolling the guide, watching a show etc. with no message. This happens all of the time.

I do not have a H3, but if it has an RF remote, perhaps a neighbor is turning his Dish receiver off from time to time and turning yours off also.

Just a WAG.

I do not have a H3, but if it has an RF remote, perhaps a neighbor is turning his Dish receiver off from time to time and turning yours off also.

Just a WAG.
A Hopper remote can only control the receiver it is linked to so a neighbor could not control anyone else's Hopper.

A Hopper remote can only control the receiver it is linked to so a neighbor could not control anyone else's Hopper.
If you got RF turned on a neighbor could mess with the receiver, H3 remotes are UHF and linked and my Harmony 300 remote is RF which I use on my H3 and its not linked to the H3, it would work on my neighbors H3 if he had RF turned on....

If you got RF turned on a neighbor could mess with the receiver, H3 remotes are UHF and linked and my Harmony 300 remote is RF which I use on my H3 and its not linked to the H3, it would work on my neighbors H3 if he had RF turned on....
Your Harmony remote is IR, not RF. Your neighbor would need line if sight and be close enough to your Hopper to control it, and vice-versa.

If I turn off my TV and turn it on again quickly, I'll get a picture for a few minutes and then the Hopper will go to sleep. I think there's a Hopper setting that reads a signal from the HDMI cable when the TV is shut off, and that signals the Hopper to go to sleep. It's not "inactivity", it's something else.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If I turn off my TV and turn it on again quickly, I'll get a picture for a few minutes and then the Hopper will go to sleep. I think there's a Hopper setting that reads a signal from the HDMI cable when the TV is shut off, and that signals the Hopper to go to sleep. It's not "inactivity", it's something else.
That would be HDMI-CEC. Hadn't even thought of that.... I've got that disabled too! :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Bobby,I looked for how to turn off HDMI-CEC (since I'm having the random H3 black screen shut off problem) and couldn't find it. What are the click sequences to that menu?

Bobby's probably still sleeping so maybe I can help. :)

Press Home twice for the Main Menu then Settings then Remote Control. Near the bottom of the screen in the Advanced section is the CEC control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)