X1 to Hopper 3

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
I am a current Xfinity x1 subscriber who loves there service but not their price. Ondemand is excellent dir and guide interface is easy to use. how does hopper 3 compare to x1 in regards to lag and on demand? how responsive are the wireless joeys should i avoid them and get regular joeys? i haven't been with dish in over 5 years. when i left dish and went to comcast i noticed picture quality was better on comcast has picture quality improved?

Previous Dish customer and current Xfinity customer. Xfinity On Demand offerings are much more extensive then I remember Dish's being. Never had a Hopper so I can't comment on those differences.

Previous Dish customer and current Xfinity customer. Xfinity On Demand offerings are much more extensive then I remember Dish's being. Never had a Hopper so I can't comment on those differences.
Xfinity has a much more extensive ondemand but the hopper hands down crushes the x1 on ui and dvr space/ability to record multiple things. I can't speak for picture quality difference as my xfinity service was very unreliable.

I had the VIP receivers and thought the UI experience was similar. The main thing I think the X1 lacks compared to Dish is the external hard drive option. X1 allows recording 5 or 6 things at once (depending on model) which usually is fine for my use. Picture quality seems about the same to me but I've never had both at the same home.

I guess pluses would be the ehd support not to mention the 2tb hd built into the hopper. 10 more tuners for recording than x1 and Netflix built in

Currently have the X1 system. Only because Comcast gave me a deal for a year. Had the Hopper with Sling. My wired Joeys were slow. Heard that's been corrected with Hopper 3. On Demand is better with Comcast.

But now to the DVR. The Hopper is much better. I had to have two because of the 3 tuner limit. New Hopper has 16 tuners. Also the Hopper has much more storage. With X1, you have to delete recordings because the hard drive fills up quickly.

I had the X1 system before I had to move now I have dish and the hopper 3 and 4K Joey. The only thing Comcast has better is the way on demand works. Dish's on demand streams the video over the Internet which takes a few minutes to buffer up to top video quality, since Comcast uses their cable video system for on demand it's instant. Once it buffers a few seconds it looks great. The hopper 3 and new joeys perform really well.

I'm very happy with my system and wouldn't go back to Comcast(I mean it's Comcast who likes them).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: charlesrshell
I had the X1 system before I had to move now I have dish and the hopper 3 and 4K Joey. The only thing Comcast has better is the way on demand works. Dish's on demand streams the video over the Internet which takes a few minutes to buffer up to top video quality, since Comcast uses their cable video system for on demand it's instant. Once it buffers a few seconds it looks great. The hopper 3 and new joeys perform really well.

I'm very happy with my system and wouldn't go back to Comcast(I mean it's Comcast who likes them).

I have Comcast internet, at 90 down. I have no buffer time to perfect picture at all....

Reactions: ChadT41
As do I, but it's not top quality video when it first starts playing. There's always about 30 seconds of 480p video quality.

As do I, but it's not top quality video when it first starts playing. There's always about 30 seconds of 480p video quality.

Not for me, I get top quality video straight up on my Hopper 3. When I use my Roku or Apple TV, I also get top quality straight up. When I had a slower download on Comcast or that god awfully slow DSL with my phone company I saw exactly what you say you are seeing.

Maybe it's because of my wireless connection. I've thought about doing Ethernet to the hopper but it would require some wiring work.

Maybe it's because of my wireless connection. I've thought about doing Ethernet to the hopper but it would require some wiring work.

Quite possibly. I am ethernet to the Hopper. Actually, I am ethernet to every piece of equipment in my viewing room...

I was paying 70$ for Comcast Internet. 25 meg down. With the one year deal I got with them, part of the package was that they increased the speed to 75 down. You know, with that increased speed, I don't notice any difference in speed compared to when I had 25 meg down. It seems the same to me.

And yes, I did before and after speed tests.

I believe you would be happy with the hopper 3 system. It's blazing fast, and has a ton of capabilities.

On Demand has always been a much better experience with Cable than Satellite. That and Internet service are about the only things you'll find me saying is better about Cable. However I don't have the Hopper and don't know if that has a better way to do On Demand.

Reactions: Troch77
Thanks for all replies all information has been helpful. So I gain more eve space and ability to record more shows at once. But lose the extensive library of Comcast on demand. I will have a very good internet connection with 150mbps down and 10 up.
My next question is dish on demand slow or is the library not good? All are shows on demand available in HD or majority in HD?

Thanks for all replies all information has been helpful. So I gain more eve space and ability to record more shows at once. But lose the extensive library of Comcast on demand. I will have a very good internet connection with 150mbps down and 10 up.
My next question is dish on demand slow or is the library not good? All are shows on demand available in HD or majority in HD?
The speed is all dependant on your Internet which yours will be plenty fast enough, it's just that they don't have ondemand content for as many channels, the ones that come to mind for me are CBS, the cw, and spike but maybe spike with the new Viacom deal. As most have said on demand is the only thing I liked better with cable but all of the pluses with dish have made up for it to me.

I actually hated on demand on Cox, since you couldn't fast forward through anything. With 50(I think they even bumped me up to 75) down, I have had all the bad movies I could ever ask for to enjoy for hours on Dish. I actually don't like tv shows on demand on any provider.

I actually hated on demand on Cox, since you couldn't fast forward through anything. With 50(I think they even bumped me up to 75) down, I have had all the bad movies I could ever ask for to enjoy for hours on Dish. I actually don't like tv shows on demand on any provider.
There are lots of VOD on Dish you can't FF on either..
It's usually the stuff that's on most network stations except Premium Movie channels
It their way of forcing you to watch commercials.

I'm fairly sure that's a standard among VOD, not per the provider.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The difference... Dish most content can be fast forwarded, but yes DRM applies. On Cox, you cannot fast forward anything. I remember staying at my parents and trying to fast forward through Shameless, and couldn't. That's dumb, and I understand it's DRM as well. Like I said, I don't like watching TV shows on demand on any provider. I don't use their apps, and if I miss it on TV, oh well. It either comes on again or I watch something else. I don't care about fast forwarding through commercials, I care about fast forwarding to spots where I have watched up to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)