Hopper 3 HD space questions

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
Two questions:

1. It seems like deleting programs in the Prime Time folder doesn't free up any disk space. Is this because the system reserves a specific amount of space on the drive for the PTA no matter how much you delete in that "folder?"

2. I was surprised to discover - I think - that deleting programs in the "trash" doesn't seem to free up disk space. That surprised me - am I mistaken?

Thanks

1. It seems like deleting programs in the Prime Time folder doesn't free up any disk space. Is this because the system reserves a specific amount of space on the drive for the PTA no matter how much you delete in that "folder?"
Sort of. The PTAT recordings are not actually deleted until the eight-day period (or whatever number of days you set) has passed, even if you manually "delete" them. They are still on the hard drive, and you can still do a search for them and watch them. (when Search is working properly) The only reason to delete them sooner than they are already scheduled to be deleted would be to keep your PTAT folder from getting too cluttered, not to actually free up hard drive space. The only way to use less hard drive space for PTAT is to set it to automatically delete recordings after a shorter number of days.

1. You aren't actually deleted the PTA programs you are only deleting the visible link to it in the folder. It will be there until its auto delete date.

2. Don't really know about what happens with the trash.

Reactions: charlesrshell
2. Don't really know about what happens with the trash.
I've noticed the reported disk utilization doesn't change immediately when deleting programs. If I check back "later" it has updated. Not sure how long it takes.

I've noticed the reported disk utilization doesn't change immediately when deleting programs. If I check back "later" it has updated. Not sure how long it takes.
When you delete a recording it goes to the Deleted Recordings folder for a day or so. That still counts in the disk utilization until it disappears from the Deleted Recordings folder.

When you delete a recording it goes to the Deleted Recordings folder for a day or so. That still counts in the disk utilization until it disappears from the Deleted Recordings folder.
The OP said that even after clearing the programs from the Deleted Recordings folder, the used disk space still doesn't change.
2. I was surprised to discover - I think - that deleting programs in the "trash" doesn't seem to free up disk space. That surprised me - am I mistaken?
I was thinking the opposite of charlesrshell. The hard drive space was already counted as being freed up when you told the Hopper to delete the recordings the first time, in spite of the fact that they are still in the Deleted Recordings folder and can still be restored. The idea being that if your hard drive gets full, the Deleted Recordings would get over-written first, before any of your saved recordings. Thus, the hard drive space taken up by the Deleted Recordings is already "available," so emptying that folder would not be counted as freeing up any additional space.

Reactions: Cheddar_Head
in my experience, the DVR % full can be wildly off... especially when not rebooting for days and when doing a lot of EHD transfers... (happens during my movie recording marathons during free preview weekends)

I monitor my actual % by setting up a transfer and see the H3 free space, when it gets down to about 120 GB, it starts deleting from the trash (about 3 - 5 GB at a time). after that, oldest nonprotected events.

when it is 100% full, there is actually ~120 GB free that I can't use.

when I empty the trash, neither the % or GB free change until a reboot (but if the reboot is too soon, it will all show back up in the trash after reboot and they will not change)

and if you empty from the trash, but your % hasn't changed with reboot, when it is full it will delete those first, then what is in the trash.

I don't use PTAT, so I can't comment about that at all...