Hopper 3 issues - MultiView, On Demand, Bluetooth

Darealskyy

Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
AZ
I've had the same problem with my Hopper 3 for the past 3-4 years and Support has been telling me that "Engineering is working on it" since I've first reported it. EVERY day that I view MultiView, my Hopper 3 restarts when I select one of the quadrants to view in full screen. EVERY DAY at least twice/day. Not to mention, the same occurs when I try to view On Demand for the first time of the day and now, even DVR content. 4 Hoppers and 5 tech visits later, SAME PROBLEM! I have resorted to videoing each occurrence so I can post them to YouTube to find out if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I tried to attach one of the vids here, shot just today, but I suppose it's too large smh. The BT is by far the worst I've ever used. They tell me the problem is with the Google and Alexa devices, but even their own headphones have connectivity issues.

PLEASE let me know if anyone else is having this issue and, if so, PLEASE report it to Dish Support so they can finally fix this crap. It's NOT a software or hardware issue, it is an engineering issue. Worst case, I'm going to YouTube, TikTok, IG or anywhere I can get an audience. Perhaps that will get their attention.

I have felt your pain for well over a few years now--perhaps longer? It did NOT happen years ago, but at some point, after one of the updates YEARS ago, it started this stupid behavior. The VERY same thing happens to me when I use the Bar Mode 4 PIP. I think only TWICE did it NOT reboot immediately after choosing one of the four to full view. I am sorry you had to go through tech visits, but considering others have reported the same problem, it seems a Dish bug problem. Funny, when it started doing this behavior LONG ago, I just had a feeling this was problem not isolated with me, so I never followed up with Dish on it. I would say to don't go to the trouble of getting a new Hopper 3 replacement because I highly doubt that will solve the problem.

The reboot is MOST frustrating when there is a recording in the background with a 5th or greater tuner (cutting the recording into TWO with missing minutes of material during the reboot) or when I am watching something Live/Delayed and the reboot dumps the buffer of the show I was watching. I've developed the habit of checking TV Status to be certain nothing is recording in the background before exiting 4 PIP mode so I have nothing lost. There have been times when I've waited until the recording has completed before I leave 4 PIP, anticipating a reboot, if the show can NOT be recorded later that night or in the near future.

Unless, someone else has figured out that this is a problem with our particular, individual systems, you may consider this as one of the more than few Dish H3 aggravations. I have to say that, right now, it is the biggest irritant/frustration of MY personal experience with the H3 because I know that many people don't use any of the PIP features at all, so their experience with the H3 may be a better one not using Bar Mode 4 PIP.

So, you are not alone. I am just hoping that one of the coming firmware updates will "fix" this problem. I have a feeling this is vexing engineering, especially after Dish had laid-off quite a few of its software people a few years ago. FWIW, I often use the Bar Mode 4 PIP for preventing the "persistent image" problem for my LCD TV's, especially the garish CNN bug can really "burn-in" (Persistent Image, really, as it can be removed after MANY, MANY hours of pixel flipping, but not leave my Blu-ray player and my LCD TV's on for HOURS for a number of days). Only one of my LCD TV's can develop "persistent image " easily from too long of the CNN bug, while the others are newer and seem far less prone to "persistent image" but I do not want to take the chance, so I use 4 PIP.

To be clear, in my case I have no problems with only 2 PIP; that mode never reboots when selecting ONE of the TWO for full view. The problem is with 4 PIP. Please, the best of luck.

Reactions: Darealskyy
I use the Multi-View all the time when the wife is not around! If I use one box to view a recorded program (DVR) I can watch it but if I go full screen or exit then I get rebooted. I have reported it but seems to be a waste of time.

I had another issue that was driving us crazy>>>I was getting reboots (514b) almost every day when watching on the H3. I was told to change the Inactivity Timeout from 4 Hours (default) to Off, I changed it to 8 hours, now I don't get the unscheduled reboots.

Reactions: Darealskyy
I've had the same problem with my Hopper 3 for the past 3-4 years and Support has been telling me that "Engineering is working on it" since I've first reported it. EVERY day that I view MultiView, my Hopper 3 restarts when I select one of the quadrants to view in full screen. EVERY DAY at least twice/day. Not to mention, the same occurs when I try to view On Demand for the first time of the day and now, even DVR content. 4 Hoppers and 5 tech visits later, SAME PROBLEM! I have resorted to videoing each occurrence so I can post them to YouTube to find out if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I tried to attach one of the vids here, shot just today, but I suppose it's too large smh. The BT is by far the worst I've ever used. They tell me the problem is with the Google and Alexa devices, but even their own headphones have connectivity issues.

PLEASE let me know if anyone else is having this issue and, if so, PLEASE report it to Dish Support so they can finally fix this crap. It's NOT a software or hardware issue, it is an engineering issue. Worst case, I'm going to YouTube, TikTok, IG or anywhere I can get an audience. Perhaps that will get their attention.
What are you going by on YouTube?

To be clear, in my case I have no problems with only 2 PIP; that mode never reboots when selecting ONE of the TWO for full view. The problem is with 4 PIP.
So, when you are using the 4 PIP, what happens if you switch to the 2 PIP first and then exit, instead of trying to select one of the screens directly from the 4 PIP?

Reactions: HipKat
If I select one of the 4 channels in multi view, my hopper stays in 4K output. I’ve had it stay in a working condition for 5-10 minutes before rebooting or going into digital snow. I learned to exit out of multi view back to 2 channel pip before closing pip. Seems to help keep Hopper stable.
I’ve only had my H3 a couple of months so I don’t have much experience with it. I do like multi view but it is buggy.

Reactions: pattykay
I like to use 4 channel MultiView occasionally, and it's actually been pretty stable. After leaving it on 4 channel for an hour or so, sometimes I come back into the room and try to change the audio to a different channel of the 4 displayed, and it will not. Because of all this discussion, I played around with having 2 live channels and 2 DVR recordings playing in the 4 windows to see if I could break it. It was working and I felt like I must have one of the "good" H3s. I was rewinding, pausing, swapping, going to full screen, going back to MultiView multiple times until it finally happened. And then it even did one of those File System Checks. But I feel comforted that Engineering is working on it. When they bring the 16-channel MultiView along with Rapid Reboot that is gonna be sweet.

I like to use 4 channel MultiView occasionally, and it's actually been pretty stable. After leaving it on 4 channel for an hour or so, sometimes I come back into the room and try to change the audio to a different channel of the 4 displayed, and it will not. Because of all this discussion, I played around with having 2 live channels and 2 DVR recordings playing in the 4 windows to see if I could break it. It was working and I felt like I must have one of the "good" H3s. I was rewinding, pausing, swapping, going to full screen, going back to MultiView multiple times until it finally happened. And then it even did one of those File System Checks. But I feel comforted that Engineering is working on it. When they bring the 16-channel MultiView along with Rapid Reboot that is gonna be sweet.
I take no comfort in that. I've been told now for 4 years that they're working on everything I've reported until an honest agent told me that it would have to be reported by the vast majority of subscribers before Engineering would make any type of change to address it. There is supposed to be a KPI on it, but I'm pretty sure it's close to the bottom of the list

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
When they bring the 16-channel MultiView along with Rapid Reboot that is gonna be sweet.
Rapid Reboot is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it will only reboot during commercial breaks. Unfortunately, the reboot is so rapid that you won't even miss one entire commercial. Of course, if you are watching delayed Live TV, any reboot will still dump the entire buffer, though.

But I feel comforted that Engineering is working on it.
I take no comfort in that. I've been told now for 4 years that they're working on everything I've reported
I believe you. I was being facetious.
I also took it as a reference to your earlier post in another thread, about a four-year old issue, that recently got revived:
I guess Engineering is still investigating the issue. Some issues take over 4 and a half years to get a handle on.
:biggrin

Rapid Reboot is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it will only reboot during commercial breaks. Unfortunately, the reboot is so rapid that you won't even miss one entire commercial. Of course, if you are watching delayed Live TV, any reboot will still dump the entire buffer, though.
And due to the apparently many reasons that the Hopper reboots, Rapid Reboot will store up reboot reasons that have occurred since the last reboot, and since it will wait for commercials, there may be times that it builds up, say, 5 reboots that then occur in quick succession as long as they can be accomplished during the commercial break. This period of multiple rapid reboots will be known as "Freebooting until Bootlessness."

1624283881780.png