Hopper 3 OTA Recording Problem

Low Timer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
With the update to 308, I still have a problem watching OTA recordings. If I watch OTA live, there are no picture breakups or dropouts. If I watch an OTA recording, there are constant picture breakups and dropouts. The OTA signal is 95%. Is any one still experiencing these problems watching OTA recordings?

Thanks

With the update to 308, I still have a problem watching OTA recordings. If I watch OTA live, there are no picture breakups or dropouts. If I watch an OTA recording, there are constant picture breakups and dropouts. The OTA signal is 95%. Is any one still experiencing these problems watching OTA recordings?

Thanks

The OTA recordings problem has not been fixed. Hopefully soon. :)

Reactions: D. Manley
Thanks, wanted to check to insure I didn't have another issue. Yes, hope it's fixed soon since it's unwatchable.

Have you reported it to DIRT yet? The more reports they get the faster they might get it fixed. :)

Yes, I reported it a few weeks ago when the Hopper was installed.

Did you see the following post ? I had the same problem, viewing live OTA was fine, but recordings were all broke up. I installed a 10db inline attenuator to the RF input of the OTA USB module and my recordings are fine now. I was getting reading of 100% signal before and I still am but the recordings are perfect now.

After hours of trial an error I found that the issue is due to a software issue. The Over the Air code that deals with Multipath. My Hopper WS was perfect all the time.

If the signal is TOO STRONG, you get this issue as there is too much multipathing going on. (same signal bouncing off other houses or trees coming into your antenna slightly behind or different).

Solution was to put an Antenuator on the Anttenna coax and adjust it.
Trouble is this sginal can change from day to night so you have to adjust it a lot.
If you do not have an Atenuator putting a 2 way splitter or have a 3 way can be a low cost easy test to verify this.

Hope they fix this soon.

WORSE NEWS: The Joey 2.0 and Joey 4K make the Multipathing even worse, so you may be a minor issue going on with the HOPPER 3 you may not see much of an issue on a Hopper 3, but watch the same channel on the Joey and wow it is even worse. I am guessing the software for the Joey for OTA view is different.

Here's one, I purchased several of different values. I also have an amplified OTA antenna.

Attachments

• 0000224_inline-attenuator-pad-f-type-rf-20db_400.jpeg
    0000224_inline-attenuator-pad-f-type-rf-20db_400.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 204
Fact is an attenuator or adding a Two way or Three way splinter does help.
This tells us there is a Software Issues with the Over the Air software.
Reboots also seem to help. I am thinking bug in the software with a memory leak.
I sure hope Dish fixes this issue soon, one should not have to go out and by an Attenuator.
This all worked fine on the Old Hopper WS and Hopper 1.0

Reactions: charlesrshell
The thing that is odd to me is, with regards to the attenuator, that my local Fox which I only get 70-75db anyways, still breaks up. I get attenuating one that is maxed at 100 because it sometimes causes issues, but how would that help me with a channel sitting on 70 to begin with?

Come to think of it, I have a 3-way at the house that is -7db, so I will give it a shot. If it works and it takes them awhile to fix, at least I can enjoy the recordings...

Thanks
All the time......Frustrating as hell.

Reactions: D. Manley
I've had picture break ups and drop outs about every second with both live TV and recordings. Under version 313 everything is working now! I tried live, recorded and watching via a Joey 4K.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I've had picture break ups and drop outs about every second with both live TV and recordings. Under version 313 everything is working now! I tried live, recorded and watching via a Joey 4K.

Well, looks like the problem is back. Not sure why it was working Saturday and not now, but I will try a attenuator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts