Hopper 3 Picture Hazey

rodder

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
Adairsville,Ga 30103
The picture on my H3 has got real hazy. i know it is the H3 because i can switch to ota and the
picture is clear am i the only one with this problem?

The picture on my H3 has got real hazy. i know it is the H3 because i can switch to ota and the
picture is clear am i the only one with this problem?
Your test does not necessarily point to the H3, but rather also to your TV's input. Check the input to make sure it's still set to HDMI.

I just did a side-by-side comparison of a few channels, they looked pretty much the same.
But is it still hazy when you switch back and are your glasses clean? :) Kidding. Not seeing this at all. Specifically what are you comparing to? Are you on an HD channel on the H3? Are you sure? I'd expect there is a very slight improvement on OTA depending on how large of a set you're viewing on and how many subchannels the OTA channel has, but not dramatic.

But is it still hazy when you switch back and are your glasses clean? :) Kidding. Not seeing this at all. Specifically what are you comparing to? Are you on an HD channel on the H3? Are you sure? I'd expect there is a very slight improvement on OTA depending on how large of a set you're viewing on and how many subchannels the OTA channel has, but not dramatic.

I’m sure… I only compared my local stations (news) this morning. Definitely HD. 75”. I’ll check again later this afternoon or evening because I’m watching ESPN+ golf right now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Here is a side-by-side I just took. The left is OTA.

0B0A2C75-866A-4170-8250-1E6BF1024A9A.jpeg

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK. You are watching Dish satellite on a 75" TV. It's 2K resolution- because Dish has historically not used 1920X1080 for its HD, it probably is 1440X1080 so it might be a little softer than a 1920X1080 picture. If your OTA station is not bitstarving their picture, it is not uncommon for OTA to be sharper than Dish locals via satellite. The larger your screen is the more apt you are to notice small resolution differences.

Reactions: TheKrell
OK. You are watching Dish satellite on a 75" TV. It's 2K resolution- because Dish has historically not used 1920X1080 for its HD, it probably is 1440X1080 so it might be a little softer than a 1920X1080 picture. If your OTA station is not bitstarving their picture, it is not uncommon for OTA to be sharper than Dish locals via satellite. The larger your screen is the more apt you are to notice small resolution differences.
This is precisely why calibrating each input on newer TVs is important, depending on the device. SDR and HDR settings are typically slightly different