Hopper 3 Questions

nicmartim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
SE Nebraska
Hey all, I right on the verge of agreeing to a pretty nicely priced upgrade from the ViP722k to the Hopper 3. I have been in communication w/ a DIRT member here and she has been a trooper answering all of my questions. Now I have technical questions and who better to ask then the enthusiasts? Right now I have my 722k setup HDMI out to my Sony receiver and TV2 out via coax to both my bedroom and the basement TV via a splitter along the out feed (in the attic I think). Anyway, the price in the price I was quoted I am unsure whether there is a Joey involved or not (I have asked for clarification).

First question, how does the signal from the Hopper base get to the Joey? Coax or ethernet?

Second, can a feed be duplicated between my 2 TVs? I am trying to limit the bill to near what I am now. Joeys are $7/mo and with the price increase, I dont want to end up too far out of line from where I am now.

Last question (at least for now). Can I transfer my recorded events to my external HDD (already attached to the 722) and transfer them to the Hopper when it get here? I assume the external HDD permission follows on the account level, not the device level. Also along the same lines, I have the sling adapter for my 722k, will I need it for anything going forward? Same question for the OTA module I put in the 722k. Keep it? Need it?

Thanks all in advance!!!

communication to joey is via coax
mirroring to a second TV as you are now via coax would require you to purchase an RF modulator - no coax out on hopper 3
HDD - yes
that's all I can answer...

Hey all, I right on the verge of agreeing to a pretty nicely priced upgrade from the ViP722k to the Hopper 3. I have been in communication w/ a DIRT member here and she has been a trooper answering all of my questions. Now I have technical questions and who better to ask then the enthusiasts? Right now I have my 722k setup HDMI out to my Sony receiver and TV2 out via coax to both my bedroom and the basement TV via a splitter along the out feed (in the attic I think). Anyway, the price in the price I was quoted I am unsure whether there is a Joey involved or not (I have asked for clarification).

First question, how does the signal from the Hopper base get to the Joey? Coax or ethernet?

Second, can a feed be duplicated between my 2 TVs? I am trying to limit the bill to near what I am now. Joeys are $7/mo and with the price increase, I dont want to end up too far out of line from where I am now.

Last question (at least for now). Can I transfer my recorded events to my external HDD (already attached to the 722) and transfer them to the Hopper when it get here? I assume the external HDD permission follows on the account level, not the device level. Also along the same lines, I have the sling adapter for my 722k, will I need it for anything going forward? Same question for the OTA module I put in the 722k. Keep it? Need it?

Thanks all in advance!!!
As far as the sling and ota adapters you won't have a use for them anymore, the hopper 3 has sling built in and the Hopper 3 uses an ota usb dongle as the adapter for it

also you would loose tv2, but you can mirror the main output of the hopper 3
our 722k setup use to have tv2 sent to all tv locations on channel 58, then they could all join in say joint viewing, or have a box at the location for something different. also the tv2 could watch something different without a separate box,

the 722k drive should transfer, mine did and everything is seen.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts