Hopper 3 Remote Control

MitchDeerfield

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Florida
I am going to have a Hopper 3 installed in a week or so. Which Remote Control comes standard with it? Can I choose which model Remote that they give me? I would seem to want the same Remote that comes with the Hopper w/Sling. The other ones don't seem as functional. Plus the voice activated Remote isn't being distributed yet?

I am going to have a Hopper 3 installed in a week or so. Which Remote Control comes standard with it? Can I choose which model Remote that they give me? I would seem to want the same Remote that comes with the Hopper w/Sling. The other ones don't seem as functional. Plus the voice activated Remote isn't being distributed yet?

It comes with the new 52.0 remote. The touch and voice remote is not available yet. The Hopper 3 is compatible so if you have one you can use it.

It comes with the new 52.0 remote. The touch and voice remote is not available yet. The Hopper 3 is compatible so if you have one you can use it.
I am a new customer so should I ask for the old 40. remote instead? I guess I am asking if the 52.0 remote is a turkey.

Will we have to pay for the touch and voice remote when it comes out in a few months?

I am a new customer so should I ask for the old 40. remote instead? I guess I am asking if the 52.0 remote is a turkey.

Will we have to pay for the touch and voice remote when it comes out in a few months?

You'll get the new remote regardless because it will be in the box. If you want the older 40.0 remote then you may want to just call Dish and ask if they will ship you one. Worst case scenario is that you have to buy one for like $20.

I'm not sure how they will handle the voice remote when it's available.

I'm finding that the new remote has less buttons, which requires you to press more buttons to do the same as the old remote. Examples: no stop button, you hit select and then have to choose stop. No PIP buttons, you have to hit option button and select PIP and then select swap or position etc. as someone who uses PIP a lot, it is a real pain. The voice remote appears to have even fewer buttons, so I don't think it's gonna be any better.

I have no idea if it's better. I will be installing mine shortly and I'm sure it will take a few days to get use to it.

The reason for the new remote is to get rid of all the buttons. One of the biggest complaints from customers is that there are too many buttons and it's confusing.

I have started using the new 52.0 remote.
I think I will like it once I get used to it. I'm just used to the 40. I think once I start getting used to it. It the 52.0 will flow better with the new Carbon OS

I don't think it's better or worse just different. I think that you starting with the 52.0 remote you will have no issues.

The new remote is surprisingly comfortable. I do like the feel of it but I don't like the lack of buttons so far. Definitely not a bad remote though. I think a lot of customers will like it's simplicity.

I agree, the new H3 remote is very nice in the hands. But I'm so used to doing things via buttons it is taking me a bit to get used to it. I will admit that I generally use my Harmony One, but I do use the Dish one on occasion. It just isn't in my muscle memory yet, and with no backlight it can be a bit of a PITA to use

What's great about the Hopper system is that you can use the 40.0 remotes yet. For all of us who are use to it and prefer a button for everything we can still use it. The new remote was designed for the average customer and to keep things simple.

What's great about the Hopper system is that you can use the 40.0 remotes yet. For all of us who are use to it and prefer a button for everything we can still use it. The new remote was designed for the average customer and to keep things simple.
Does 21.0 remote work too?