Hopper 3 Remote is Awful

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
I saw some posts on here but not a solid support group for users dealing with the transition from their old Hopper w/ Sling remotes to the new short Hopper 3 (52?) remote... less buttons and non-intuitive placement.

So I'm griping here. I'm hoping someone will direct me to the best place to cry and/or give me tips on dealing with the transition.

After years of users asking for a backlight on a remote, they moved all the buttons around and made them smooth and indistinguishable. Good look finding anything in a dark room.
The side source buttons are ridiculous. Completely non-intuitive, at least they put a front light for those. Odd as it is.

Is there a way to make one power button TURN OFF all devices? I have the Hopper3, the TV and my Audio Receiver. If I want to turn all three off, I have to search for a side button.

I also really miss the STOP button. :(

I haven't returned my old Hopper2s yet. Is there any reason I shouldn't keep the old remote to use with my new Hopper3? As you probably know, the Joey 4Ks I got last month still came with the old style remote, which we like.

Thanks.

I also really miss the STOP button. :(

You can fix that one at least. You can personalize which functions are assigned the bottom left and bottom right keys in the keypad area. "Stop" is one of the functions that can be assigned. You can change it in the Menu --> Remote settings. I have Stop assigned to one of the two buttons on mine, as I missed it as well.

Also agree with others suggesting you look into the 54 remote instead of the provided 52,unless you plan on going to a Harmony remote at some point. The 54 has a better layout (IMO), adds nice backlighting, and you get voice search if that interests you.

I also dislike the 52 remote. When I set it down or go to pick it up the Input Button on the side triggers and acts to recall the previous channel. This happens all the time.

I have finally given up using it and I only use the 40 remote. It is so much easier to use and much more intuitive. It also requires less key strokes to accomplish commands.

Same here the 40.0 is easiest to use. Wish they would make a 40 with better ergonomics. The one thing I like about the Directv remote it feels and fits the hand nicely. Don't know why Dish can't come out with better design instead of their toad unbalanced slick feel remotes.

Ahhhhh, thank you Dish Support Group. I am not alone in my frustration. :)
I feel your pain!
I am a few months in on the 50.0 remote and i am almost functional now.
I think Dish needs to send the new backlit 54.0 remote to everyone who currently has a 50.0 remote. That would be of some help.
Snap! I'm glad I asked. I saw some threads about the 54.0 in my search (before posting this) but did not realize it was backlit. That's a help, anyway.

Well, as I still have my new equipment to transfer over to the installer (I owe him a call), maybe I can request a remote swap out from the 52.0 to the 54.0 if it is available.

Aaaaaaand, I'll keep one of my old 40.0 remotes. Might as well. It works.

Ahhhhh, thank you Dish Support Group. I am not alone in my frustration. :)

Snap! I'm glad I asked. I saw some threads about the 54.0 in my search (before posting this) but did not realize it was backlit. That's a help, anyway.

Well, as I still have my new equipment to transfer over to the installer (I owe him a call), maybe I can request a remote swap out from the 52.0 to the 54.0 if it is available.

Aaaaaaand, I'll keep one of my old 40.0 remotes. Might as well. It works.
Keep all your 40.0 remotes.

I wish I could triple like this!
Thanks n0qcu. I have kept most of the old remotes thru the years. I still have 5.3, 6.3, 6.4, 20.0, 21.0, and 32.0 old remotes. I never had a 932 DVR, but DISH sent me the 32.0s one time by mistake when I had ordered 40.0 remotes. I used the 32.0s for a while when I had HWSs. DISH told me to just keep them. Haven't been with DISH that long to have remotes prior to 2007, but I do remember an odd ball number remote when I had a 925 DVR for a shot while. The installer took it

Reactions: pattykay
I have both the 52 and the 40.0 remotes. I did manage to figure out most of what I needed to in order to use the 52 but with something like 13 less buttons requiring some buttons to be multi functional. it's a hassle to use. There's nothing wrong with the 40.0 and I think the 52 was change for the sake of change with Dish probably using the "smaller is better" argument for justifying the 52. Needless to say, my 52 remote found its way into my junk drawer.

I have both the 52 and the 40.0 remotes. I did manage to figure out most of what I needed to in order to use the 52 but with something like 13 less buttons requiring some buttons to be multi functional. it's a hassle to use. There's nothing wrong with the 40.0 and I think the 52 was change for the sake of change with Dish probably using the "smaller is better" argument for justifying the 52. Needless to say, my 52 remote found its way into my junk drawer.
I have 40.0, 50.0, 52.0, and 54.0. I don't use the 50.0 and 52.0 anymore. The 54.0 is pretty sweet with that backlight feature.

I only use the 50.0. I hate the feel of the 52.0, which is why I have no desire for the 54.0. The 50.0 is nice as I know all button locations and functions, and is small and fits my hand naturally. Even my kids and fiancée prefer the 50.0. Granted I took every other remote away and forced them to adjust, before returning the other remotes that they now could care less about.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Keep all your 40.0 remotes.
Definitely the best advice in this thread. :thumbup When I still had a leased original Hopper, I had gotten a spare 40.0 to use in my bedroom. When I returned the Hopper, I also returned one of the 40.0's, figuring that if I ever got another Hopper, it would come with a new 40.0 remote. Fast forward a few months to when I purchased a Wally, and it came with a 52.0 :( so that remote ended up in my bedroom. Fortunately, I still had the other old 40.0 to use in the Living Room. I purchased a new 40.0 on Amazon for $20.90 so now I have 40.0's in both rooms again. Lesson learned. :amen

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)