Hopper 3 requires higher mount antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SQUEEZON

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Oregon
I am in the process of trading out my Hopper for a Hopper3. I was told that the 129 satellite which I am currently receiving at 58% signal, would be a problem with the H3 because my antenna is mounted too low.
As anyone encountered this problem? Why can't that put the new antenna higher? If necessary I have 18ft of chimney next to the mounts if height is a problem. Just how much larger is the H3 antenna?

I am in the process of trading out my Hopper for a Hopper3. I was told that the 129 satellite which I am currently receiving at 58% signal, would be a problem with the H3 because my antenna is mounted too low.
As anyone encountered this problem? Why can't that put the new antenna higher? If necessary I have 18ft of chimney next to the mounts if height is a problem. Just how much larger is the H3 antenna?

The tech mounted mine to my fascia. Single story house with clear view of the horizon.

58 for 129 is NOT a bad signal. About what I have had for four years with no problems.

Who told you that? The H3 does not require any stronger signal than all the other Hoppers

Yeah 58 is good for 129. It can look deceiving when one automatically thinks 0 - 100 or 125 and 58 is in the middle so that has to be bad or mediocre. However, it is not a linear scale like that.

Got it. All my sat experience is from about 10-12 years ago. Back when a low transponder number meant the channels would go in and out. So now.. It either works or doesn't. Thanks for clarifying!

Can someone break down the dish transponder strengths? I remember with directv you wanted 90 or better but I see y'all saying 58 isn't bad?
Yes, that's what we've been saying. And for the higher elevation Sats, 70's is good. Different measurement base than D.

Reactions: Mandeville985
That's why I have been a member in here for several years. The cumulative knowledge. Well I hope I can get this cleared up with my Dirt member and Dish itself.
(this answer came back from Dish)

Mounting it higher will make absolutely no difference unless there was a line of sight issue.
Latest comment to me from Dish I have to raise antenna height as problems are occurring on the low beam satellite 129 ----I still find this a mystery as I continue to get 129 positon on my current Hopper?

Latest comment to me from Dish I have to raise antenna height as problems are occurring on the low beam satellite 129 ----I still find this a mystery as I continue to get 129 positon on my current Hopper?
It would be imposable for you to raise your antenna height enough to make any difference receiving a satellite that is approximately 22,000 miles away.
What a low beam area means is that the DISH system thinks you need a second dish to receive 129. You need to contact dirt and to get the system updated for you then you will be able to get a H3.

Reactions: D. Manley
Hmmm. You would have thought that Dish would have suggested that? Thank you for the info. with the new reports of problems being encountered with the H3 waiting for it might be
the best course of action.........

Hmmm. You would have thought that Dish would have suggested that? Thank you for the info. with the new reports of problems being encountered with the H3 waiting for it might be
the best course of action.........

No actually. Phone csrs are a crapshoot. That's why you talk to DIRT so you get someone who knows their stuff and takes care of you.

Dirt has fixed this issue in the computer system for a couple other users designated in low beam areas. It's an issue with the computer system.

The final result is Dish says I am tagged as a low antenna (at 16ft) and if I want to find a retailer to mount the H3 that might be the way to go. Sounds to me like they left me hanging
and taking my own risk. So much for being a customer since 1997! I will get a super joey and give it another crack in the summer. Meanwhile I will enjoy Sat 129 on my current Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)