Hopper 3 Resetting

Got a reboot and the file check system msg yesterday morning at 5:30am. Power reboot is scheduled for 1am so that’s not my problem either. H3 SW: H306 since 6/2/21

Got a reboot and the file check system msg yesterday morning at 5:30am. Power reboot is scheduled for 1am so that’s not my problem either. H3 SW: H306 since 6/2/21
Are you, by chance, recording Ota content or watching Ota content that has a weak signal when it reboots?
That is what causes my reboots most of the time. I'm getting my 4th hopper3 this week and requested a non refurbished
Fingers crossed

Reactions: charlesrshell
My fingers are crossed that I stop seeing the unscheduled updates throughout the day.

The tech did show up with a new H3 per my request. So bottom line don’t be afraid to speak up and ask for NEW, don’t accept an excuse of this refurbish is all I have on my truck.
View attachment 152927

Well, That didn’t fix the problem. Got a 514b this morning.

Nuts. Power line or ground issue? I don't think I have this problem, but perhaps I do. Where do you find this info?
That (514b) is the code # on the pop up.

7E730393-3345-4705-821B-8ABA8FAF2FDD.jpeg

Ok so apparently I had them send me a new hopper - it wasn't new it was a refurbished..imagin that. Well I said ohh well and installed it anyway last night. It has been taking all day to recover recordings from the other one to this one. Just about 30minutes ago while it was on live TV the new one restarted. Now at this juncture there has to be a software issue and I can't be the only one having this issue.
I'm unsure what to do now other than watch it a few days see what happens once the recordings are finished recovering and if it continues call them up and demand a new one.

Very strange regardless.

I don't think you ever described your environment, that is, do you have other receivers involved such as Joeys? If it were me, I'd try this as a start:

1. Go to the dish antenna. Unplug any coax attached there that does not go to your Hopper 3, if you have connections to Joeys. ("Client" port(s) to Joeys)
2. Use a new piece of RG6 coax to connect the antenna to your Hopper, no other devices connected on the network. ("Host" port to Hopper.)
3. If you have an OTA adapter on your Hopper, unplug it from the Hopper.
4. If you have external drives, unplug them.
5. Go to Settings - Diagnostics - Whole Home and see if the link status says Strong.
6. In Settings - Diagnostics - Status, check MoCA status and see what the result is.

With the simplest configuration, see if you keep getting resets. If not, start adding back other devices starting with Joeys if you have them, then EHD, then OTA adapter if you have it.

I went thru all of that with Tsupport over the chat before they sent the other box out.
raw outlet but I won't leave it like that regardless...not safe for it. No other device I have going thru the conditioner is effected either.
no OTA, external has been removed for a few weeks.
I checked the connections (old tech I was) and they are all fine.
Reset network a few times its wide open, MoCA is strong/everything wide open green.
Signal slightly slower than it should but well within limits (could be weather but I'll look at it later).
Now alexa won't connect to it, its tried to discover the device several times and according to the skill reviews its been bad for weeks now apparently.

Did you actually disconnect all other MoCA devices and did you use a new piece of RG6 to connect the Hopper to the hub at the dish, just as a test?

Also, I would try "un-networking" the Hopper and "re-network" it using Ethernet to get wireless out of the picture.

Is OTA in the picture when these reboots happen, as in, watching a recording made from an OTA broadcast? (you said no OTA, but does that mean now or always?)

My very occasional reboots have been, as others have posted, related to the AirTV dual OTA adapter and the signal strength, it seems. The other day I had to disconnect my antenna briefly, and the loss of signal to the OTA seemed to cause a reboot. The other cause of reboots that I've seen are when trying to, very slowly, transfer recordings from my old leased Hopper to its replacement, a purchased one.

Are you all finished with transferring recordings?

Did you actually disconnect all other MoCA devices and did you use a new piece of RG6 to connect the Hopper to the hub at the dish, just as a test?

Also, I would try "un-networking" the Hopper and "re-network" it using Ethernet to get wireless out of the picture.

Is OTA in the picture when these reboots happen, as in, watching a recording made from an OTA broadcast? (you said no OTA, but does that mean now or always?)

My very occasional reboots have been, as others have posted, related to the AirTV dual OTA adapter and the signal strength, it seems. The other day I had to disconnect my antenna briefly, and the loss of signal to the OTA seemed to cause a reboot. The other cause of reboots that I've seen are when trying to, very slowly, transfer recordings from my old leased Hopper to its replacement, a purchased one.

Are you all finished with transferring recordings?

I have 5 RG6 runs going from the dish up to where the hub is and two from hub to hopper for backups. I used to install this stuff I used the stuff I wasn't supposed to use also or the better stuff that was meant for Internet installations vs cheap stuff so yeah I've switched lines all connections clean...no issues there. I basically pulled solid copper more expensive cable meant for internet installs only for my TV which honestly I saw a nice response increase when I did that. Just FYI you may want to look at that in the future vs that copper clad crap.
I tried both ethernet ports, wireless connection only but again its only done it once so far on the replacement box.

I already mentioned I'm not using OTA.

All tranfers are done but not hardly watched it so haven't been able to tell if anything changed thus far will make a difference yet.

I have 5 RG6 runs going from the dish up to where the hub is and two from hub to hopper for backups. I used to install this stuff I used the stuff I wasn't supposed to use also or the better stuff that was meant for Internet installations vs cheap stuff so yeah I've switched lines all connections clean...no issues there. I basically pulled solid copper more expensive cable meant for internet installs only for my TV which honestly I saw a nice response increase when I did that. Just FYI you may want to look at that in the future vs that copper clad crap.
I tried both ethernet ports, wireless connection only but again its only done it once so far on the replacement box.

I already mentioned I'm not using OTA.

All tranfers are done but not hardly watched it so haven't been able to tell if anything changed thus far will make a difference yet.
Is that 3 Ghz rated cable? It needs to be for the Hopper but I'd do as suggested above, run a cable from the Dish straight to the Hopper, through a window most likely (Seal it best you can - thank god it's summer), and disconnect from your WiFi (Home 3 times/#2 - Networking/#7 - Network Connections/ Info-Recall on the remote will clear settings)

No resets since that one during the file transfer.
Yes all the cable is 3Ghz rated I have 5 pulls going out there I had tested on a few diff ones just for hell of it back a few days ago when that old one was doing it daily.
I'm hoping all is good at this point but yes I understand the need to just drop a dummy line to test but that is why I pulled 5 lines to that dish when I put it in before I quit the field.

Hey guys I don't mean to resurrect this thread again since I think my issue is gone with the resetting.
The issue I'm seeing now is when I view recordings thru dishanywhere app it shows them all bunched up like one recording but showing 60+... I can't expand them?
anyone have any idea?

I am having the same issue. Hopper 3 reboots at 8pm +0-6, -0 minutes. Sometimes it will reboot again in about 5-6 minutes after the 1st. I've sometimes had it reboot 3 times.
I had the DVR replaced & transferred all my recordings. Now it's doing the same thing.
I am highly considering dumping Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)