Hopper 3 stream speed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I just got the H3 and I am really enjoying it, the only problem I see is the streaming/download speed is very slow. Right now I am getting 13mbps when my speed test tests at 90mbps... Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!

The slow speed could be the server and not the receiver. I have noticed that download speeds are often slow during prime time. The speeds are fast in the middle of the night. My actual internet connection is always fast but the download speed is often slower from certain sites during peak usage times.

The most I've ever seen from Dish is around 30mbps. That was at 2am or something.

The more people that start using VOD the worse this problem could become. Dish's servers are one thing, but the infrastructure between Dish servers and your house is the biggest problem. It's not built for everyone streaming, and certainly not built for everyone streaming 4k. Your ISP may rate your connection at 50mbps, but nobody may be able to send you that rate of data.

You could have gigabit speeds and Dish could still be sending you 10mbps
http://www.techhive.com/article/290...band-you-just-need-consistent-throughput.html

Hopefully HEVC "for all" will alleviate this a little bit? But only H3 does HEVC, and I don't know how much VOD content Dish has is actually encoded in HEVC (probably only UHD 4k stuff). Remember the compression type the VOD uses means not all bit rates are equal. HEVC will be half the bitrate of H.264/MPEG4 for the same PQ.

I have not found any Dish 4K programs that use the Satellite to download. All the Dish 4K VOD requires streaming. There is not 4K on the Dish PPV movie channels. I have a slow internet service at 5 meg maximum and everything I have tried to dowmload from Dish gets the not enough bandwidth error message. However , both Amazon Prime and Netflix streams of 4K work. I am not sure whether I am getting real 4K or just the up converted 4K my TV set does. Whatever is happening the picture looks great.

Reactions: ROLLTIDE
I was stoked to see 36mbps lat night streaming. I have Comcast with boost

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Even if you have a faster connection, hopper looks for steady speed before it starts streaming. So if you have 60 down and at that moment your speed slower then that like 30 down. It streams with 20.... So it is looking for a steady stream speed so when you are watching it wont buffer too much. My comcast speed is 60 and except nighttime i get 60 down. Hopper streams around 40 daytime and 18 at nighttime. Hope i was able to explain.

This is the fastest speed I have gotten.

6cbab075d5098c1cc3ffb438cb2c9516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: charlesrshell
Can you actually do a speed test or only see it while streaming.? I thought I remembered seeing a download speed test when tech was setting up receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
you can do a speed test at anytime and don't have to be streaming

I have 90mbps from Comcast and recently the most I've seen is 50 on my hopper 3. Usually starts at like 40 and goes down to 20.

Speed has more to do with the DISH servers we are connecting to versus how much speed we have in our internet pipe.
Could you imagine what would happen if we could all just download at the maximum speed available to us?

Ok I looked in every nook and cranny, but I cannot find a dedicated speed test in the menus anywhere. I've seen speed showing while streaming, but not a speed test per se.

Ok I looked in every nook and cranny, but I cannot find a dedicated speed test in the menus anywhere. I've seen speed showing while streaming, but not a speed test per se.
Don't have H3 yet, but with HWS it's....Settings, Network Setup, Test

Reactions: Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts