Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

No AMEN from me. I want to know what fixes the issue so we can all learn. It appears to me the poster is hanging in there until it is cleared up.
I've used many different receviers, from many many different companys, and I've yet with the exception of the HR22, have I noticed an actual PQ difference.
And that PQ difference was more of a less "contrasting" issue than an actual PQ issue.

The HD just seemed softer then the Other HRS I've used.
And I've yet, ever saw any different PQ differences between Dish equipment.
Sure many times NEW UIs and different receivers needs new Calibration or even Different calibration then what was previous.

I can tell for certain it's not uncommon to have different tv settings for different model receivers.

And as stated before, with digital you aren't going to get low PQ, it's all or Nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you get right on top of a large screen TV and take a picture of a compressed scene on a specific channel, especially a dark scene, that's what you get.
I've found out a long time ago, Taking a picture off your tv to show PQ flaws is useless unless there is actually something distinguishable on the screen , Like a Line or spot.

Those pictures are uninformative in comparison to PQ

Reactions: JSheridan
Not sure why the 1886 selection, but I do know that 2.2 gamma on the OLED requires a different setting than 2.4. If brightness is wrong on these the near black looks horrible. One of the first days I had it a black trench coat someone had on during an episode of Homeland looked like a near black disco ball of blocking. Once I properly set brightness it went away.

I do see other blocking in certain areas of aggressively compressed programming, but it is because OLED's do not dither like plasma did, so compressed feeds are going to show worse. AHS is a mess on my OLED, granted it was on my LCD too, and it is a shame because it could be a black level lover's dream if the channel wasn't compressed so badly by dish or Fox.

I will def look into it but I have 5 Tv's all have bad picture quality not just the OLED.

Not a true blanket statement. An example is HMDI downrezzed content due to a failed HDCP handshake.
That's ridiculous, any hand shake issue that exist is no Picture on the screen.
So your telling me that it can Hand shake on 480 but not on the tvs actual native resolution of 1080?
So 3 H3s are stuck in 480?
Tvs down convert content to 480, the TV is still native 1080.
Or what ever is native in 4 K terms.

I will def look into it but I have 5 Tv's all have bad picture quality not just the OLED.
If it's that bad why do you still have this Hopper3?

I'm sorry but I would have went right back to Hopper 2 with sling weeks ago.
I mentioned a few flaws about the H3 and not Upgrading for now because of a few bugs, and I got my balls bashed in for it.

This thread is one maybe 2 people with may or may not be an issue, and still exists???
I got Nothing else to say !!!!

If it's that bad why do you still have this Hopper3?

I'm sorry but I would have went right back to Hopper 2 with sling weeks ago.
I mentioned a few flaws about the H3 and not Upgrading for now because of a few bugs, and I got my balls bashed in for it.

This thread is one maybe 2 people with may or may not be an issue, and still exists???
I got Nothing else to say !!!!

Picture on my Panasonic plasma seed soft when I first got the H3, but after some tweeking on tv settings I believe the picture is better than it ever was on H2. I would not have thought that was possible, but read that on another thread and it worked for me!

I'm with DISH and their conclusion. Good luck and Good Bye.

I'm not sure if you're just having a bad day or not but you are not helping and in fact being very rude. I think the OP really does have some kind of an issue. It's obvious that he's tried numerous things and he's not an idiot. My Hopper 3 works great and the picture is great too but doesn't mean that others may not have a problem.

As for those that say the PQ is much better on the Hopper 3 compared to the HWS, I really don't think there is. If there is a difference it's pretty small. I remember when people thought the Hopper had a much better picture than the 722 but it didn't.

I'm not sure if you're just having a bad day or not but you are not helping and in fact being very rude. I think the OP really does have some kind of an issue. It's obvious that he's tried numerous things and he's not an idiot. My Hopper 3 works great and the picture is great too but doesn't mean that others may not have a problem.

As for those that say the PQ is much better on the Hopper 3 compared to the HWS, I really don't think there is. If there is a difference it's pretty small. I remember when people thought the Hopper had a much better picture than the 722 but it didn't.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, and I disagree with your's completely.

Overall I don't see a difference in the average PQ, but I also changed displays. Any improvements or issues I see are prob the display.

That being said, Dish needs more than a SoC in a DVR to make their PQ "better" in a way that it actually matters. They need to ease off compression or get more efficient gear.

Overall I dont see a difference in the average PQ, but I also changed displays. Any improvements or issues I see are prob the display.

That being said, Dish needs more than a SoC in a DVR to make their PQ "better" in a way that it actually matters. They need to ease off compression or get more efficient gear.
Ease off compression!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Overall I dont see a difference in the average PQ, but I also changed displays. Any improvements or issues I see are prob the display.

I had an H2 with the old UI and one with the new UI on the same input on the same TV and the picture improvement with the new UI was very noticeable. We had an informal poll here and everybody who compared agreed. That and almost every customer we've installed a new H3 for has said the same thing.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, and I disagree with your's completely.

Opinions are fine and I generally appreciate all of yours but for some reason today you have been very rude and are attacking a site member who truly feels he has a problem. I myself have been checking on this thread occasionally to see if anything gets resolved as I'm very curious if there is a real problem or not. I can't imagine anyone here would just make something up like this.

It's too hard for us to make any assumptions as to what his PQ really looks like because taking a picture of a TV does very little. Being there personally is really the only way to know for sure what it looks like. I know there have been times when I didn't believe what one of my customers was telling me until I finally went to their home and found out they were right.

Exactly.

I had a 622, a 722, a 722K, a H2000, a HWS (all on pro calibrated displays) and now an H3. Their PQ has not improved over time IMO to equal anything meaningful, if at all.

Now, I also don't think you should have a step back unless it's a new brand of chip, etc..., like when Directv tried the NXP chip. Seeing as this ia Broadcom still, I do not think that is it.

I had an H2 with the old UI and one with the new UI on the same input on the same TV and the picture improvement with the new UI was very noticeable. We had an informal poll here and everybody who compared agreed. That and almost every customer we've installed a new H3 for has said the same thing.

Are you talking about the overall GUI or are you saying the PQ of a H2 with content improved with the Carbon UI beta update?

If it's the PQ of content like Walking Dead for example, excuse me while I go laugh somewhere because I had the beta and I don't buy it. Keep in mind, there were people all over this forum that will tell me they can't see a difference between Directv and Dish when Directv was obviously better, and that was a joke too.

Dish should advertize this, we created a GUI that improves PQ of HDTV. Maybe they should sell it to Broadcom.

If people are gonna claim this, then prove it. Im sure Scott could know.

Opinions are fine and I generally appreciate all of yours but for some reason today you have been very rude and are attacking a site member who truly feels he has a problem. I myself have been checking on this thread occasionally to see if anything gets resolved as I'm very curious if there is a real problem or not. I can't imagine anyone here would just make something up like this.

It's too hard for us to make any assumptions as to what his PQ really looks like because taking a picture of a TV does very little. Being there personally is really the only way to know for sure what it looks like. I know there have been times when I didn't believe what one of my customers was telling me until I finally went to their home and found out they were right.

In my opinion it's a matter of perception. Just like you've perceived my posts to be rude when actually I am trying to be very clear. That's it. IMHO this entire thread has been a huge waste of time.

In my opinion it's a matter of perception. Just like you've perceived my posts to be rude when actually I am trying to be very clear. That's it. IMHO this entire thread has been a huge waste of time.

It may be perception but we have no way of knowing. Maybe it is just my opinion that you are being rude but if you went back and read what you posted I can't imagine you would find it to be very polite or helpful. I also don't see how you can call this a waste of time when no one forces anyone to read anything here. I suppose you saying this is a waste of time would be your opinion.

Are you talking about the overall GUI or are you saying the PQ of a H2 with content improved with the Carbon UI beta update?

If it's the PQ of content like Walking Dead for example, excuse me while I go laugh somewhere because I had the beta and I don't buy it. Keep in mind, there were people all over this forum that will tell me they can't see a difference between Directv and Dish when Directv was obviously better, and that was a joke too.

Dish should advertize this, we created a GUI that improves PQ of HDTV. Maybe they should sell it to Broadcom.

Again, believe what you want to. I'm telling you what I am seeing with my own 2 eyes, which I will always believe over a post from the internet. The picture on the old Hopper UI or OS or whatever you want to call it was not as good as DirecTV. The picture from the new UI or OS or whatever you want to call it is as good as DirecTV. I make the comparisons on the same Sony TV on the same input with the same settings. And that's what I see.

It's too hard for us to make any assumptions as to what his PQ really looks like because taking a picture of a TV does very little. Being there personally is really the only way to know for sure what it looks like.
FULLY agree. Those Pictures show NOTHING.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)