Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

IMHO the banner on the new UI is not as bad as the one on the old UI. I don't even notice it on the new one anymore. :)

The PQ with the new software and UI is very, very good.

My wife and I didn't even notice the banner until I saw people complaining about it on here.

New Dish customer, just switched from Dtv. Hopper 3 with 4 Joeys. HD with Dish is definitely a bit lower quality. Artifacts are apparent on or around text and network logos. Dark backgrounds and fast movement also reveal artifacts. Had Concast prior to Dtv, would have to say Dish is about the same quality. So, from my experience, Dtv probably provides the least compressed signal, at here in Illinois. But, your gonna pay more. For me, at an $80 savings per month, I can live with an acceptable picture as long as I'm not sitting less than 10 ft from the screen.

I still notice more artifacts in the PQ with the Hopper3 than the H2.
Also motion blur seems more frequent.
Again though I don't have it hooked to 4K tv.
So maybe its better then.

I definitely can see what the complaints were about.
I think for what ever reason the Hopper3 reveals just how stretched DISH HD PQ really is.

Out of the Box, the Color and contrast is extreme.

This bugs me, I ordered the H3 and now wondering if I should cancel. I don't want a worse picture for sure coming from DTV its already touch and go with H2. I remember at one time someone was saying PQ was superior to H2 apparently something has changed. Having 4K Tv shouldn't matter on content below 4k.

This bugs me, I ordered the H3 and now wondering if I should cancel. I don't want a worse picture for sure coming from DTV its already touch and go with H2. I remember at one time someone was saying PQ was superior to H2 apparently something has changed. Having 4K Tv shouldn't matter on content below 4k.
Post Number 10, Describes exactly what Im trying to say.
And I also put Mine on 720p, and it definitely helps mine as well.

I'm hoping its just related to U334 software, But Im too chicken to use U336.

I will have to also comment, I've turn my TV on , and had a message a few time, Resolution not supported, which makes me question if this Hopper3 is trying to output 4K, when it should not be.

Also I've never had any VOD or Neflix issues with the Hopper2, and I've had quite a few already with this Hopper3.

So far, whats nice, is recording conflicts are gone.

Reactions: camo
Thanks, yes if H3 is trying to output 4k material when its not there could cause issues. I'll give it a try on my Sony 4k, if its bad I'll just go back with the H2 and return the H3. Purchased through Amazon so have 30 days to decide.

Thanks, yes if H3 is trying to output 4k material when its not there could cause issues...

There is no basis for that. 1080 goes to your TV as 1080. Any poor upscaling is would be the fault of the TV. I can assure you that 1080 material is beautifully upscaled on my Samsung 4k TV.

There is no basis for that. 1080 goes to your TV as 1080. Any poor upscaling is would be the fault of the TV. I can assure you that 1080 material is beautifully upscaled on my Samsung 4k TV.
No basis? The poster said they think the H3 is trying to send 4k signal. ( Resolution not supported) I was agreeing and do see where this could be problematic on non 4k TV. To counter this they set the hopper output resolution to 720p and claim picture looks better allowing Tv to upscale.
I don't have this issue I have a 4K Tv. I just don't want a picture inferior to the H2.

Reactions: Troch77
I have found significant improvement in PQ setting H3 to 720p vs. 1080i/1080P output for my Epson 5010 projector at 106" screen. Pretty significant actually. Tried on my 4K Vizio and much harder to tell if better or not. Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no...

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: Troch77
No basis? The poster said they think the H3 is trying to send 4k signal. ( Resolution not supported) I was agreeing and do see where this could be problematic on non 4k TV. To counter this they set the hopper output resolution to 720p and claim picture looks better allowing Tv to upscale.
I don't have this issue I have a 4K Tv. I just don't want a picture inferior to the H2.
Just give us your opinion when you get your Hopper.
As I said, I have to agree with the others 720p remedies most of the PQ issues.

Maybe a $3000 tv would help.
But it didn't matter on a H2, so it shouldn't on an H3.

But I assure you my $1500 Samsung and $1200 Vizio yield the same results.

Got the H3 installed today. PQ looks good so far maybe a little better than the HWS. Hard to to be absolutely certain without side by side comparison but I'm happy with it initially. Haven't watched much TV today but pro bowl looks good tonight and this is the ESPN feed. Checked some of the movie channels they also looked solid.
No issues with EHD transfer to new H3. Decided to only bring a few movies over just to test. U341 is the software installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts