Hopper 3. The functionality has MUCH to be improved

bouynxdor

Original poster
Mar 29, 2016
Los Angeles
I'm shocked that all the critics that raved about the new Hopper didn't notice SO many things that are missing from the Hopper 3.

I've already complained about this, but taking away the Themes so you can quickly and easily see what movies are airing in the coming week (and filtering by rating, whether you’re subscribe or not) is unconscionable.

The new remote makes everything that took one step turn into three to five steps.

You used to be able to save a search on a word, like if you wanted to tape every movie that has Al Pacino in the description or Academy Award in the subject. now you can only search for words of movies/tv shows that are airing in the next week but you can't save those searches to be continuous.

The recall button being used to delete programs. Every time that you click recall, instead of going to the very next program, it jumps back to the latest taped program. That leads to accidentally deleting programs you didn't mean to.

which ties to this. In the Hopper 2, if you accidentally deleted a prime time anytime program, if you went to search and searched for the program, it would still be on the drive (i know you weren't able to untrash it, but you at least could do the search, find the program and watch it. Now if you accidentally delete a program, because of trigger finger or any other accidental reason, that show is history. There is no way to watch it other than by On Demand.

It's just infuriating that to "simplify" the Dish, which I'm assuming was the intention, they ruined quite a bit of what made the Hopper so rich. I appreciate that i can now tape 8 programs instead of 6 at the same time, but had i known how much i had to trade off to do so, i never would have upgraded.

I really hope that then engineers go back to the old hopper and look at what was there and hopefully upgrade the software on the Hopper 3.

Already complained about the themes where? This is your first post and you joined just now. Or didn't you realize we can see your post count and join date....

Already complained about the themes where? This is your first post and you joined just now. Or didn't you realize we can see your post count and join date....
This was a message I posted on Dish Network's forums, which is where i complained about the themes. I didn't know that wording was there. I'm not hiding when i joined so i'm confused by the accusatory manner of your message. I bought a Hopper 3 and a lot about it frustrates me and I'm sharing with other people who buy the Hopper and may have the same issues. Is that not what this forum is for?

Reactions: old corps
This was a message I posted on Dish Network's forums, which is where i complained about the themes. I didn't know that wording was there. I'm not hiding when i joined so i'm confused by the accusatory manner of your message. I bought a Hopper 3 and a lot about it frustrates me and I'm sharing with other people who buy the Hopper and may have the same issues. Is that not what this forum is for?

Actually, your comment belongs in the Hopper Zone section, where many of your criticisms are being discussed.

I'm shocked that all the critics that raved about the new Hopper didn't notice SO many things that are missing from the Hopper 3.

I've already complained about this, but taking away the Themes so you can quickly and easily see what movies are airing in the coming week (and filtering by rating, whether you’re subscribe or not) is unconscionable.

The new remote makes everything that took one step turn into three to five steps.

You used to be able to save a search on a word, like if you wanted to tape every movie that has Al Pacino in the description or Academy Award in the subject. now you can only search for words of movies/tv shows that are airing in the next week but you can't save those searches to be continuous.

The recall button being used to delete programs. Every time that you click recall, instead of going to the very next program, it jumps back to the latest taped program. That leads to accidentally deleting programs you didn't mean to.

which ties to this. In the Hopper 2, if you accidentally deleted a prime time anytime program, if you went to search and searched for the program, it would still be on the drive (i know you weren't able to untrash it, but you at least could do the search, find the program and watch it. Now if you accidentally delete a program, because of trigger finger or any other accidental reason, that show is history. There is no way to watch it other than by On Demand.

It's just infuriating that to "simplify" the Dish, which I'm assuming was the intention, they ruined quite a bit of what made the Hopper so rich. I appreciate that i can now tape 8 programs instead of 6 at the same time, but had i known how much i had to trade off to do so, i never would have upgraded.

I really hope that then engineers go back to the old hopper and look at what was there and hopefully upgrade the software on the Hopper 3.
Sounds like I will be keeping my hopper with sling a lot longer than I thought. I had planned on upgrading in May, but it sounds like the Hopper 3 is still not ready for Prime time-no pun intended. I don't really know why they couldn't just use the same interface that the hopper 2 had and build on that platform to make it better. Why mess with the buttons and what they do?

All this is being discussed in the Hopper forum, that was my skepticism of the OP for posting his first post here. That said if I was thinking of getting a Hopper 3 I would think again also till much of the bugs are ironed out.

Confusion because the Dish Network Forums have nothing to do with this forum so saying you already complained should have included it was in a different forum. Second what you posted is already in the Hopper forum so the question of why post it separately from there. Those problems are real as others have reported.

All this is being discussed in the Hopper forum, that was my skepticism of the OP for posting his first post here. That said if I was thinking of getting a Hopper 3 I would think again also till much of the bugs are ironed out.
At this point Tampa, I'm thinking of getting VIP equipment.
We just had another unplayable recording on our Hopper 2 system last night.
The Hopper 2s don't give an error message, they just sit with a blank screen, and option to start playback over.
You select it, and it doesn't play back.
It just sits there.
Clearly something is bad with this U204 and U309.

People here keep saying that U204 is beta, but that's the national software you get with a 4K Joey an H2.
So IMO it's not Beta software.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tampa8
At this point Tampa, I'm thinking of getting VIP equipment.
We just had another unplayable recording on our Hopper 2 system last night.
The Hopper 2s don't give an error message, they just sit with a blank screen, and option to start playback over.
You select it, and it doesn't play back.
It just sits there.
Clearly something is bad with this U204 and U309.

People here keep saying that U204 is beta, but that's the national software you get with a 4K Joey an H2.
So IMO it's not Beta software.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You were warned about participating in a beta test. The Hopper 3 has had only minor hiccups for most of us.

You were warned about participating in a beta test. The Hopper 3 has had only minor hiccups for most of us.
It's not a beta test.
I suggest you actually read some posts.
When you have a H2 with sling and a 4K joey what software do you get?
BETA?
NO you get U204, the exact software that is running through my Hopper.

And it seems the minority are the ones not having issues with the H3.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

To the original poster. Welcome to Sat Guys (if you are still here) I am sorry that you were attacked by members that should know better. Guys, this person is a noob, give him a break.
Thank you Jerryez. AND it's my birthday.

When I originally signed up, i WAS in the Hopper forum but when i registered it moved me here and I didn't realize. I just wanted to share the things I found with the new Hopper. I've been a DIsh Member since it was PrimeStar in the 90s and watch excessively so I just wanted to get my thoughts out there incase Dish engineers read these posts.

It's not a beta test.
BETA?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
You are absolutely correct it is not beta, it is a release (limited) version.
DISH beta would have a version like "C1FG" that is just a made up number.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.

It's not a beta test.
BETA?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Read Scott's introduction to the beta test of the carbon interface on HWS. If you were stuck with the test software by getting a 4k Joey, that is unfortunate. That should have been an up front notice, but it was mentioned in the Carbon testing section. It is the minority that are having significant problems with the Hopper3. Over 500 members here got their upgrades here through DIRT. Count the members posting serious problems.

Reactions: peggy97850
Thank you Jerryez. AND it's my birthday.

When I originally signed up, i WAS in the Hopper forum but when i registered it moved me here and I didn't realize. I just wanted to share the things I found with the new Hopper. I've been a DIsh Member since it was PrimeStar in the 90s and watch excessively so I just wanted to get my thoughts out there incase Dish engineers read these posts.

DISH was never Primestar. DirecTV bought Primestar at the end.

Reactions: Tampa8
Ever since Dish put that damn sports pub view into the software, I can't record anything on my Hopper 3. I called up Dish for a new receiver and they said they won't send out any new hardware because the problem is in their software.

So much incompetence at Dish. Does anyone know what they are doing there??

I have been with Dish for a long time, 17 or 18 years. I have seen things like this happen periodically with new receivers. That is why I will never ever be one of the first to try out a new Dish receiver, and I will never try any Beta software.

I always wondered whose 'fault' it was. Somehow I do not think that it is just the Engineers to blame. A lot of times marketing, or other forces come into play in a large company. Sometimes, things are pushed out before they are ready because marketing has committed to a certain deadline, or the company just wants to say that they are the first with some new technology. A lot of times the Engineers are horrified to see that things are released when they are not ready. The 'we will fix it later with software upgrades' attitude is rampant nowadays! Not too good for customers though!

EDIT: The good news is that Dish does eventually take care of the problems!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)