HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

Multimeters are the best, I like your style Jsheridan. Voltage or no voltage, a terminator cuts off any potential connection, ensuring safety for people and equipment

Reactions: JSheridan
If I'm wrong I'll accept it, but all the evidence Leeds to the fact that you shouldn't terminate a power passing port.

Ok I've slept a few times since, you may have got 1 up on me. What scenario would you have an un-used pwr port open in a working system?

Keep in mind, I'm only trying to help the less experienced non techs on here. Better safe than sorry when it comes to Installation parameters. I've seen the failures with the items discussed and these are my conclusions. If I'm wrong, great show me and I have learned something. Test and tell. That's what forums are all about right?

You should always terminate all unused ports.
I don't think you are supposed to terminate switch outputs, Like DPP44, I believe they are supposed to be capped.
But the Nodes I think can be terminated because it's powered by the receivers ,Not an external PI.

Directv Swm 16 also calls for No terminators on the swm 16 it's self, But the unused Ports on the Splitters and even the IRD on the PI must be terminated.

I'm fairly confident as long as it's not a Multiswitch output port, You are supposed to terminate all other open ports.

Ok I've slept a few times since, you may have got 1 up on me. What scenario would you have an un-used pwr port open in a working system?
If your using a duo hub for a hopper3 install. That was the original question asked on here. I was tell the person they would be smart to use a solo hub due to the unused power passing port

If your using a duo hub for a hopper3 install. That was the original question asked on here. I was tell the person they would be smart to use a solo hub due to the unused power passing port

Did we determine there was voltage present on the un-used port?

In my experience yes. There is definitely voltage present on an unused host port when another rcvr is connected and plugged in on the other port. Be it ports on a dish, switch, node, hub. And the terminator definitely creates a short in the system. If you wanna test that, terminate all un used ports on a switch and see what happens in the next 24-48hrs. It will get the switch,rcvr,or the lnbf. Whichever is the weakest

In my experience yes. There is definitely voltage present on an unused host port when another rcvr is connected and plugged in on the other port. Be it ports on a dish, switch, node, hub. And the terminator definitely creates a short in the system. If you wanna test that, terminate all un used ports on a switch and see what happens in the next 24-48hrs. It will get the switch,rcvr,or the lnbf. Whichever is the weakest
This is for the old Solo, Duo hopper setup requirments.
5fcdc319097e29fad4117298f62be2c2.jpg

2023bb72e6870787b254fbd0eac0f5ac.jpg

Ok what about the un-used open ports on the lnb with 1 receiver. Voltage present?

Dish can be a little funny in their diagrams/instructions. They just assume you know what scenario they are describing. Look at the new diagrams for the hopper3 and 4k Joey. They are ridiculous

Terminators do not short the center conductor and shield. There are shorting terminators that are used to remove static voltage so equipment isn't damaged when connecting cables, like for time delay reflectometry or oscilloscopes.

A proper terminator should be rated for 75 ohms and would read about 75 ohms when tested with a simple VOM. There are terminators rated at different impedances too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxbat and dweber
I don't think you are supposed to terminate switch outputs, Like DPP44, I believe they are supposed to be capped.
But the Nodes I think can be terminated because it's powered by the receivers ,Not an external PI.

Directv Swm 16 also calls for No terminators on the swm 16 it's self, But the unused Ports on the Splitters and even the IRD on the PI must be terminated.

I'm fairly confident as long as it's not a Multiswitch output port, You are supposed to terminate all other open ports.

Yes Sir, you are right. I wasn't thinking about the multi switch input ports from the LNB when I posted that. Thank you.

The new Hybrid LNB has no external power supply correct?
You are supposed to Terminate all unused ports Except on external Powered Multiswitchs.

There is no powerpass ports that would actually be powered.
A power pass is for using an external power source if needed Somewhere that would be more convenient.
Nothing more.