HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I'm ready for it. The only thing that concerns me is the high power draw. Will it be a serious hot box?

Can't see how this would be a major concern unless you have it in a small cabinet.

722 @ 55 watts in an open face cabinet needs an exhaust fan to dissipate the heat. The new h3 at 95 watts is more than 3 times what the hws draws. It's a concern which I hope is not an issue.

Reactions: navychop
I just restored settings from my remote to the replacement HWS I received. It did not restore the favorites names. Other than that, so far so good.

Where did it say that the H3 will use up to 95 watts? I looked at the material that was posted and did not see that.
Will it be on the receiver anywhere? I have a Hopper 3 here I can look at and tell you, if it's listed on the receiver. I'll look in a little while and see if I see anything.

The "boxes" are not cheaper from Dish. You are confusing upgrade cost with ownership. If you lease you end up with nothing of value in your hand. With an owned receiver, one can recoup some of ther cost by selling. Also, yes, protection plan DOES cover owned receivers. If I ever get an H3, I will probably purchase because, I hope, we will be moving sometime in the next year or so, and can not be for certain we would stay with Dish. So, no contracts for now.

You buy, you pay $279 or even if it was cheaper, $249 and basically you have to buy the additional parts as well which adds to the cost. You lease, you can pay up to $150 but remember it includes the installation and the other parts you have to pay for. Either way, you will be paying the $15/month unless you're saying you can get away with the $15/month when buying. Good point on the selling part but how much can you really get for a used box? I'm in a different situation since I won't be moving but in the next year or so, depending when the architecture plans get approved, I will need to be out of the house for 7-12 months for the remodeling when the entire house will be taken apart and replaced with new materials as well as being both bigger on each level and also adding an additional floor to it. Ofcourse I can write off the full purchase price of it as a business expense so technically it's free since that same amount would have gone to paying uncle sam.

I have a question, how do I tell what model of the Dish antenna I actually have? Back in 11/16/2012 when DISH was first installed with the Hopper 2K, the installer actually wanted to basically the D*TV Dual RG-6 at both ends and I told him I was keeping the D*TV service before he actually ran new cables. D*TV and the other 2 DSS type antenna are on the back corner of the house while the DISH is in the front corner.

Last edited:
Worked for me, maybe it's the 50 or so open tabs.?.? ;)

Has nothing to do with the tabs as I have 32GB of memory and a page like that is not going to take anywhere near the same resources as a facebook page. It doesn't work in Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge either but will randomly work. Perhaps their web server is being overloaded as basically it seems to be timing out. In any case, thought it would have 802.11AC support by now. ;)

Where did it say that the H3 will use up to 95 watts? I looked at the material that was posted and did not see that.

Will it be on the receiver anywhere? I have a Hopper 3 here I can look at and tell you, if it's listed on the receiver. I'll look in a little while and see if I see anything.

This is a screenshot off the feature sheet Scott has posted. Can you confirm bobvick?

h3.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)