HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

Comcast kills you on Internet only plans, ask me how I know. Hoping once Google fiber comes to Atlanta it spreads to burbs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: THE5RIVERS
Comcast kills you on Internet only plans, ask me how I know. Hoping once Google fiber comes to Atlanta it spreads to burbs.
I was paying $75/mo for 130MB internet only from Comcast. I just got my Google Fiber last week! I found it amusing that when I called Comcast to cancel they tried to convince me that there was absolutely no way I could use a 1GB connection. When I told them that the 1GB connection was $70/mo, they quit arguing.

You can find comcast internet only plans on their website I believe, although its hard to find because they want you to bundle everything. I believe in the fine print of some of the offers they also list stand alone prices. Also, internet only plans are usually higher than bundle pricing, just an FYI.

In regards to HDMI, HDMI 1.4 was able to handle 4K content at 24 or 30 fps with a bandwidth of 10 gbps, while limiting UHD content to 8 bit color. HDMI 2.0 increased that to 50/60 FPS and 18 gbps, and remember its a GIGAbit connection, so it will be able to handle all speeds up to its limit. Netflix requires a minimum of 25 mbps, so either a 1.4 or 2.0 cable will be fine. Here is some more info: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/index.aspx

The Comcast website is where I got lost since there is Blast for $49.95/month on a 1 year contract in one section and then there is the new customers offer which lists Blast at $82.95/month. I thought some people found deals not on their website as I see people who get Blast for $34.99/month but I don't know how to go about getting that type of deal.

What I was lost on with HDMI was if the internet connection for Netflix UHD/4K only needs 25mbps, why would the cable actually need 10Gbps of bandwidth or will 4K Blu-Ray actually use that much bandwidth since it seems like HDMI cable is 400x faster than the 4K/UHD content via Netflix. I mean is the Netflix quality going to look a lot worse? I wonder how much bandwidth is the H3 actually using for 4K/UHD content.

I currently have 6Mbps/768kbps ADSL with sonic.net with the circuit provided by AT&T for $69.95 with static IPs. On top of that, I still have to pay for the AT&T phone line. sonic.net is reselling AT&T's UVerse product on a commercial contract so there is no caps or such. I can get a Dual U-Verse bonded 50Mbps/6Mbps connection which is $60.00 + $6.50 for the modem rental/inside wire maintenence plan + $6.50 for the ATA adapter for the VoIP service that is include, these are monthly charges and this is before the taxes of $12.00 is added. I can get the static IP for $10.00 via VPN and also have 4 additional shared IP VPN, and ofcourse I might keep the sonic.net account without the internet connectivity for $18.95 a month so that's $28.95 which will not have taxes added on top. For the telephone service, I'm planning to port my number to T-Mobile which will cost $3 and then port to Google Voice which is another $20 and then pay $1.50 for the e911 service so I'm looking at $30.45 a month before Internet access. So basically I'm trying to find Blast at a discount as I read it's 150Mbps down in San Francisco. sonic.net will have 1Gbps fiber and VoIP telephone service in the future for $39.95/month. Sonic's VoIP is unlimited calls to the US and Canada and I think 180 minutes a month to international numbers. So it is far cheaper than the $75 for Google Fiber and sonic.net is the one who runs Google's fiber service at Stanford University and also rated the #1 ISP in the country.

The Comcast website is where I got lost since there is Blast for $49.95/month on a 1 year contract in one section and then there is the new customers offer which lists Blast at $82.95/month. I thought some people found deals not on their website as I see people who get Blast for $34.99/month but I don't know how to go about getting that type of deal.

What I was lost on with HDMI was if the internet connection for Netflix UHD/4K only needs 25mbps, why would the cable actually need 10Gbps of bandwidth or will 4K Blu-Ray actually use that much bandwidth since it seems like HDMI cable is 400x faster than the 4K/UHD content via Netflix. I mean is the Netflix quality going to look a lot worse? I wonder how much bandwidth is the H3 actually using for 4K/UHD content.

Those Comcast deals are usually for new customers via flyers or some sort of targeted advertising. But you could always call in and tell them you're looking to become a Comcast customer and wanted to know what promos they have. Also, if you google Comcast deals, there is a link that comes up that says xfinity deals in whatever city you are in, click that and then click on the Internet tab and it will ask you to put your address in and it will show you whatever promos they currently have.

Regarding the bandwidth of uhd, I believe they are rated that high not only for transferring 4K resolution and max fps, but also all of the various audio streams and codecs of which there are something like 32. Apparently a lot of data is being carried over the cable, I saw a list of it on another site but can't find it now. And i assume uhd blu rays are going to have lots of data on them because of HDR, audio codecs, etc.

As for Netflix, they require a min 25 Mbps connection in order to stream 4K without it being kicked down to 1080p. And I am pretty sure Netflix content doesn't have all the extras like 60 fps 4K and HDR 10 bit, etc. I could be wrong though.

Those Comcast deals are usually for new customers via flyers or some sort of targeted advertising. But you could always call in and tell them you're looking to become a Comcast customer and wanted to know what promos they have. Also, if you google Comcast deals, there is a link that comes up that says xfinity deals in whatever city you are in, click that and then click on the Internet tab and it will ask you to put your address in and it will show you whatever promos they currently have.

Regarding the bandwidth of uhd, I believe they are rated that high not only for transferring 4K resolution and max fps, but also all of the various audio streams and codecs of which there are something like 32. Apparently a lot of data is being carried over the cable, I saw a list of it on another site but can't find it now. And i assume uhd blu rays are going to have lots of data on them because of HDR, audio codecs, etc.

As for Netflix, they require a min 25 Mbps connection in order to stream 4K without it being kicked down to 1080p. And I am pretty sure Netflix content doesn't have all the extras like 60 fps 4K and HDR 10 bit, etc. I could be wrong though.

Good point, never seen those flyers. Only flyers I ever get at home is for Comcast Business Internet where they try to sell me a 6Mbps connection for $60/month on a 3 year contract. I actually try the address thing and the price was way higher than the deals on their main page. Netflix UHD/4K actually has both HDR and Dolby Vision, the later my LG 65EF9500 OLED doesn't have support for. I still wonder how much internet bandwidth I really need though since 50Mbps seems like it's enough except I could use a higher upload than 6Mbps as Comcast is 10Mbps. Not sure why Comcast even needs to sell the 50Mbps and 75Mbps speeds if the Blast is cheaper and does 150Mbps.

Good point, never seen those flyers. Only flyers I ever get at home is for Comcast Business Internet where they try to sell me a 6Mbps connection for $60/month on a 3 year contract. I actually try the address thing and the price was way higher than the deals on their main page. Netflix UHD/4K actually has both HDR and Dolby Vision, the later my LG 65EF9500 OLED doesn't have support for. I still wonder how much internet bandwidth I really need though since 50Mbps seems like it's enough except I could use a higher upload than 6Mbps as Comcast is 10Mbps. Not sure why Comcast even needs to sell the 50Mbps and 75Mbps speeds if the Blast is cheaper and does 150Mbps.

50 will be more than enough. And I have the 150 plan hah. But I've been with them for years and my plan originally started at 25 and got speed upgrades whenever they released a new tier.

50 will be more than enough. And I have the 150 plan hah. But I've been with them for years and my plan originally started at 25 and got speed upgrades whenever they released a new tier.
Lucky for you, for the Blast 150, what's the minimum speed you actually got? It seems with any speed for broadband, it's always up to so basically there is no minimum speed guarantee, just don't know why anyone would sign up for the 50 or 75 or 105 Mbps tiers when the Blast 150 is cheaper. LOL.

Lucky for you, for the Blast 150, what's the minimum speed you actually got? It seems with any speed for broadband, it's always up to so basically there is no minimum speed guarantee, just don't know why anyone would sign up for the 50 or 75 or 105 Mbps tiers when the Blast 150 is cheaper. LOL.

I consistently get 160-170 down on my connection, both wired and wireless. Having a great router helps too.

I consistently get 160-170 down on my connection, both wired and wireless. Having a great router helps too.
Wow, never knew you would exceed the 150. I have both the Netgear R7000 and ASUS RT5300 routers. On both routers, either stick with OEM or RMerlin software as DD-WRT and any other third party will not give full speeds since the wireless driver for the router will be missing the Cut Through Forwarding and Flow Acceleration, Hardware Acceleration needed although I think that's only needed at 300Mbps and above.

Wow, never knew you would exceed the 150. I have both the Netgear R7000 and ASUS RT5300 routers. On both routers, either stick with OEM or RMerlin software as DD-WRT and any other third party will not give full speeds since the wireless driver for the router will be missing the Cut Through Forwarding and Flow Acceleration, Hardware Acceleration needed although I think that's only needed at 300Mbps and above.

Let's continue in pm since I think we have derailed the thread:biggrin

Reactions: Almighty1
Wow! There are some seriously spoiled people here. Complaining about paying that much for speeds over 100Mbps? I pay $60 for 12mbps and I'm happy with that. Many others in the country are paying that for slower speeds and data caps with satellite internet. If I was offered speeds up to 100mbps I would gladly pay $80.

Wow! There are some seriously spoiled people here. Complaining about paying that much for speeds over 100Mbps? I pay $60 for 12mbps and I'm happy with that. Many others in the country are paying that for slower speeds and data caps with satellite internet. If I was offered speeds up to 100mbps I would gladly pay $80.
Sadly I'm with you, if I recall correctly comcast advertises up to 30Mbps but the reality is about 10-12Mbps during most times and that's for $70, and it was unlimited and now the bandwidth is capped.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm just happy I can get the speed I have. It's the fastest available and I only can get it because I'm located close to where the service starts. Many others in my town can only get 6 or 3mbps. At least many people here have the option to get really fast speeds.

I was looking through the thread about what three things you would change about the Hopper 3 and I'm blown away with how many people want to get rid of the banner in the guide. I honestly didn't even notice it until I saw all the complaints on here. My wife didn't even notice it until I told her about it either. I find the guide not being 3 hours kind of funny either. It's only a half hour shorter, what's the big deal?

Reactions: xfoneguy
I was looking through the thread about what three things you would change about the Hopper 3 and I'm blown away with how many people want to get rid of the banner in the guide. I honestly didn't even notice it until I saw all the complaints on here. My wife didn't even notice it until I told her about it either. I find the guide not being 3 hours kind of funny either. It's only a half hour shorter, what's the big deal?

Every time I look at the DirecTV 1.5 hour guide that has multiple banners everywhere I feel blessed to have a Hopper. :)

Eta keeps getting changed and I need to leave my house around 1... Not sure the tech will have time to do what he needs to do in that time frame... That's why I signed up for 8-12... All it should be is is a simple swap out of the receivers and wait for software to download... Not happy I may not get the H3 today

I thought i would hate it and i had it disabled in my H2 guide, but yeah, I don't even notice it now.

Reactions: xfoneguy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts