Hopper 3 vs hopper 2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I've had hopper 2 for a couple of years and love it. My account has been on pause for a few months as we are in between houses. Should I get a hopper 3 or stick with my hopper 2? Seems like I see a lot of people with hopper 3 problems.

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds like a question that you should research carefully and then will really be something that you have to answer for yourself. The Hopper 3 is still relatively new (out since around this past February, give or take) and like any new technology has "kinks" and "bugs" to work out. How important are the H3's strengths to you? Things like 16 tuners which virtually eliminate recording (and viewing) conflicts? How many Hoppers do you currently have and how often do you run into conflicts? Keep in mind that while you can have more than one of the older Hoppers, at this time only one Hopper 3 is allowed per account. With only one Hopper, if/when it goes down (for reboot or whatever) everyone loses their viewing and recording capabilities until it's back up and running. Not so if you have more than one HWS or H2K. If you have any 4K televisions, the new Hopper broadcasts in that format. "Autohop" is something I really like - several network stations can automatically skip over commercials during "Prime Time" without manually pushing buttons. The new interface brings with it some new capabilities that I enjoy too - like being able to create more than 5 of my own folders for "holding" recordings. If you've looked at all, you must know that I've only touched on a few of the new features. So - do your research, read up and pick some brains, but beware as users can be a bit opinionated LOL Ultimately you must chose for yourself.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Simple. Subscribe to these forums and WATCH. Keep the 2 and when you feel comfortable, then move to the other box. I made a big deal about moving and then all this "stuff" was coming out of all directions and I freaked out. Talked to my rep and put a hold on it. He said yup there are "issues" and it is prudent to wait. But it's all up to you. I'd say look around and then make a decision.

The main issue I have found in the month that I have had the hopper 3 is the ota shows recorded , still do not play back without audio drop outs and random pixelation. Also there is a learning curve that I am still getting used to with the new shorter remote controls (52) ,but you can still use the older remote control if the new one isn't to your liking. Setting timers from the guide is a little more trouble to me, because you can't do an edit of that timer to place it in priority without getting out of that guide and then going back into timers and then edit it. There are also some problems with the multi screen use on the four screens at one time and the pip swap function can cause problems sometimes. But over all the hopper 3 is very ,very fast. I expect all these minor problems to be worked out between now and the end of the year.... hopefully. If ota is very important to you , I would wait till that is fixed. But the main things you need to remember is 16 freaking tuners and no conflicts.:biggrin

This sounds like a question that you should research carefully and then will really be something that you have to answer for yourself. The Hopper 3 is still relatively new (out since around this past February, give or take) and like any new technology has "kinks" and "bugs" to work out. How important are the H3's strengths to you? Things like 16 tuners which virtually eliminate recording (and viewing) conflicts? How many Hoppers do you currently have and how often do you run into conflicts? Keep in mind that while you can have more than one of the older Hoppers, at this time only one Hopper 3 is allowed per account. With only one Hopper, if/when it goes down (for reboot or whatever) everyone loses their viewing and recording capabilities until it's back up and running. Not so if you have more than one HWS or H2K. If you have any 4K televisions, the new Hopper broadcasts in that format. "Autohop" is something I really like - several network stations can automatically skip over commercials during "Prime Time" without manually pushing buttons. The new interface brings with it some new capabilities that I enjoy too - like being able to create more than 5 of my own folders for "holding" recordings. If you've looked at all, you must know that I've only touched on a few of the new features. So - do your research, read up and pick some brains, but beware as users can be a bit opinionated LOL Ultimately you must chose for yourself.
Hopper 3 + Hopper 2 in a account, is possible?

Most people do not need 16 tuners. I have found that when I have conflicts that the show or movie will be rerun at another time in a day or so, except on the networks.

Most people do not need 16 tuners. I have found that when I have conflicts that the show or movie will be rerun at another time in a day or so, except on the networks.
But having 16 tuners makes sure that I don't have to waste my time figuring out how to see the programs that I'd like to see. As Ron Popeil would say "set it and forget it!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)