Hopper 3 wired to LAN thru Hub requires custom reset

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JJinVista

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
My Hopper 3 is hardwired to my LAN via an ethernet hub, and the presence of the hub seems to cause problems whenever my internet connection drops or when the router is reset.

We had a power outage a few days ago and I noticed today that the Hopper is not connected to the internet, nor will a "Reset" via the hopper settings menu cure it.

I tried various methods to get the Hopper connected again:
- tried the "Reset Network" menu item under Hopper settings multiple times
- tried unplugging and plugging the LAN cable going into the back of the Hopper
- tried resetting my router
None of these worked.

The only thing that will get the Hopper back online is if I
- unplug the LAN cable from the Hopper
- reset the router
- plug the LAN cable back into the Hopper

There's nothing wrong with the LAN signal to the Hopper as far as other devices are concerned; if I unplug the LAN cable from the Hopper and plug it into my laptop, the laptop gets connected. And I have other devices plugged into the hub which have worked reliably with no special power-up considerations, including a NAS, another router configured as an access point, and other computers.

I tried running a temporary cable direct from my router to the Hopper, and it connects fine. The problem only seems to occur when there's a hub between my router and the Hopper.

Another oddity: with a good Hopper to internet connection, running the "Reset Network" command from the Hopper settings menu "breaks" the internet connection, and it won't reconnect.

I found this 6-year-old post with a similar problem using a hub and what must have been an original Hopper:
Hopper and wired ethernet?

So for now, I'll just do my unplug / reset / plug routine as a workaround.

My Hopper 3 is hardwired to my LAN via an ethernet hub, and the presence of the hub seems to cause problems whenever my internet connection drops or when the router is reset.

We had a power outage a few days ago and I noticed today that the Hopper is not connected to the internet, nor will a "Reset" via the hopper settings menu cure it.

I tried various methods to get the Hopper connected again:
- tried the "Reset Network" menu item under Hopper settings multiple times
- tried unplugging and plugging the LAN cable going into the back of the Hopper
- tried resetting my router
None of these worked.

The only thing that will get the Hopper back online is if I
- unplug the LAN cable from the Hopper
- reset the router
- plug the LAN cable back into the Hopper

There's nothing wrong with the LAN signal to the Hopper as far as other devices are concerned; if I unplug the LAN cable from the Hopper and plug it into my laptop, the laptop gets connected. And I have other devices plugged into the hub which have worked reliably with no special power-up considerations, including a NAS, another router configured as an access point, and other computers.

I tried running a temporary cable direct from my router to the Hopper, and it connects fine. The problem only seems to occur when there's a hub between my router and the Hopper.

Another oddity: with a good Hopper to internet connection, running the "Reset Network" command from the Hopper settings menu "breaks" the internet connection, and it won't reconnect.

I found this 6-year-old post with a similar problem using a hub and what must have been an original Hopper:
Hopper and wired ethernet?

So for now, I'll just do my unplug / reset / plug routine as a workaround.
Who is your internet provider and which modem/gateway do you have?

BTW, hub??? Like Ethernet hub/Switch?

Who is your internet provider and which modem/gateway do you have?

BTW, hub??? Like Ethernet hub/Switch?

ISP: Cox Cable.
Cable Modem: Linksys CM3008
Router: Linksys E1500
Yes, an ethernet hub/switch: TP-Link TL-SG108

I'm logging a follow-up to this thread even though it's several months old.

My Switch (I stand corrected - it's not a Hub) that was the subject of this post is up in the attic and this morning was the first opportunity I've had to go up there since my original post. I was planning to troubleshoot the problem - try different ports on the switch, try running a direct wire from my router to the Hopper.

Before I did any of this, I tried doing the things which, back in May, caused my Hopper to disconnect and stay disconnected;
- do a "Reset Network" under the Hopper Settings menu
- reset my router

But everything resulted in a very prompt reconnect to the network by my Hopper. And I've noticed when I've tried to do Hopper functions over the last few months which require an internet connection, the connection has always been active. I don't think the problem was ever with my switch. I've never had problems with the port on this switch when it was serving the same function to a DirecTV box for several years, and have tested it with other equipment like laptops and access points.

I'm at U522 as of a couple of days ago, but I think this problem may have been fixed with a Dish software update before then.

So I'm happy to have a robust internet connection with my Hopper which I can depend on, especially if I'm away from home and need it to reconnect all by itself without manual gymnastics on my part!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)