Hopper and wired ethernet?

Bohemian

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Texas
I am upgrading from a 722 to the Hopper system. I have my ethernet running from my router to a hub and then to the Hopper unit. My router passes out IPs to any wired connection but it will alow me also put device MAC address in to assign it a fixed IP, which I prefer for easier logging of activity. I plugged the hopper in but it fails DHCP aquire, Sever connection, and Internet connection. I run my internal LAN on 192.168.0.XX but the hopper says it's IP is 169.254.229.XX with no way to change. When I go into broadband settings it is always on MoCA and I have to select the Ethernet port. The installer did not put any network box on for MoCA. How do I get it working?

Unless it is downloading over satilite and updating firmware, I don't see how this would change the Ethernet connection setup. But I will wait and see. I am tired of messing with it now anyway.

The 169.254.229.XX is the DHCP network and is standard until an IP is assigned. This sounds like a networking issue, check the your DHCP server has enough free addresses to hand out. Then I would check the lights on the switch/Hopper and verify cabling

I checked all my network cables and devices. Old 722 worked on it, plugged cable into other devices and they work fine. The Hopper is the only veriable. When I go to Broadband in the Settings menu, it always is sitting on the MoCA setting. All other settings are grayed out except for MoCA and the ethernet port I have the cable plugged into. I do have the international dish set up so the coax off the back of the Hopper goes through a VideoPath Power Inserter Model DPP44 box and outside it has a large switch box VideoPath Multi-Dish switch Model DPP44. The issue seems to me is the Hopper thinks it has MoCA hardware and will not let go, so even if I change the drop down setting to Ethernet Top or Bottom port and save, it will not recognize the change.

If I bypass the Power Inserter, no change. If I unhook the Joey's coax I no longer get the MoCA option, but ethernet connection still fails and stays with the same IP range. Still digging.

could just be a bad hopper

on a side note, the hopper, joeys, HIC or the node should not be connected to a power inserter, ever

Is Mac filtering enabled on your router?
On wireless yes, but not on wired and this is straight wired settup.

could just be a bad hopper

on a side note, the hopper, joeys, HIC or the node should not be connected to a power inserter, ever
\
The power inserter was put their by installers who did my international dish setup. They said it was required for the 3 pickups on the dish. Although with it taken out of the system I am getting all signals fine, even the French tv stuff.

Could it be something simple like using the other RJ-45 jack on the Hopper?
Have tried both top and bottom ethernet ports with no change in results.

On wireless yes, but not on wired and this is straight wired settup.
Is it possible to do Mac filtering only on wireless? On my Dlink, if you enable Mac filtering, you need to enter the MAC address of all devices connecting to your router. Both wired and wireless devices. What type of router are you using?

Is it possible to do Mac filtering only on wireless? On my Dlink, if you enable Mac filtering, you need to enter the MAC address of all devices connecting to your router. Both wired and wireless devices. What type of router are you using?
I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 flashed with dd-wrt.com rom image

I have been messing with my network setup and have found something. All the Ethernet ports on both to Hoppers and Joeys seem to have two MAC addresses.

I have a Windows 2008 server on my local gigabit LAN and I use Windows DHCP for all DHCP assignments. My router has DHCP server turned off. This way I can totally control all DHCP and Network setting from the server (WINS, DNS, IP, Router, node type...). I also setup reservations for each device that connects to my network so they always get the same IP address.

What I found was (and this happens on both the Joeys and both ports on the Hopper), when I do a "Reset Connection" from Broadband, it does a round robin (first time mac 1 next time mac 2 then back to max 1) between two MAC Addresses. One MAC addresses will connect to my network and the other will not. I am guessing that one mac address is the Local Network Ethernet port address and the other is probably the DISH CoAx local max address. I am guessing this is a BUG in the software. The Broadband setup should not be addressing the CoAx network macs.

So, when I do a "Reset Connection" and I get the "Failed", I do it again and then I have success with a different MAC address and success. If I again do a "Reset Connection" I get "Failed". This is the same on both ports on the Hopper and the ports on the Joeys. All my ports on both Joeys and Hopper are hard wired to 1 gigabit or 100meg switch network ports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts