Hopper 3 with 6 joeys

TEXASACE

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Has anybody ever run a Hopper 3 via coax as usual and the Joeys cat5/6? If so any issues? Did you use a router or a switch?

Last edited:
Has anybody ever run a Hopper 3 via coax as usual and the Joeys cat5/6? If so any issues? Did you use a router or a switch?
I have a Joey 3 on cat 5 works great.

I have an H3 and 2 J3's, one of which is on GigE and no MoCA, while the other J3 is on both. No issues other than having to tell the J3 to go to the network interface rather than annoyingly insisting on MoCA forever, without manual intervention. Note that both Joeys were installed on MoCA.

Be aware, unless things have changed, that networking H3 DVR's with clients to view content from the H3 is not an approved method. In other words, Dish could prevent such connections any time it wants, but I hope they do not. Of course, selecting Joey's to access your LAN via the direct "ethernet" wired connection to access the internet bypassing MoCA--instead of using the H3 as a "gateway" to the internet--is allowed and supported.

I have a bed and breakfast that the contractor wired with Cat 6 and no coax because he said that's what we use and now coax cannot be pulled thru. I was wondering about running all joeys cat5/6 but I don't want any issues it's a 3 1/2 drive.

I have a bed and breakfast that the contractor wired with Cat 6 and no coax because he said that's what we use and now coax cannot be pulled thru. I was wondering about running all joeys cat5/6 but I don't want any issues it's a 3 1/2 drive.
How about finishing the post?

Reactions: TheKrell
I just did my first Dish Fiber install today. This was at a Mobile home park. very odd-looking dish pre-installed
Annotation 2020-04-07 162712.jpg
outside the park to a large junction box and fiber run to each unit with a 4 port ethernet box installed. Mine was 2 Wallys, using Cat 5 from the port or hub if you will, to each receiver.

Really cool how it works, but only Wallys and Hooper Duos are eligible - for now

I just did my first Dish Fiber install today. This was at a Mobile home park. very odd-looking dish pre-installed View attachment 144446outside the park to a large junction box and fiber run to each unit with a 4 port ethernet box installed. Mine was 2 Wallys, using Cat 5 from the port or hub if you will, to each receiver.

Really cool how it works, but only Wallys and Hooper Duos are eligible - for now
I just did my first Dish Fiber install today. This was at a Mobile home park. very odd-looking dish pre-installed View attachment 144446outside the park to a large junction box and fiber run to each unit with a 4 port ethernet box installed. Mine was 2 Wallys, using Cat 5 from the port or hub if you will, to each receiver.

wow nice!

Reactions: HipKat
Have you thought about Wireless Joey's?

Sent from my SM-975U using the SatelliteGuys app!

The networked joeys interfacing with the hopper will function just perfectly - I had that setup for a years until I abandoned joeys altogether for firesticks.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
I don't think Firesticks are going to be an option for this guy. It's a bed and breakfast and the Hopper will only allow one Firestick at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts