Hopper 3 with PIP Multi-view

Kweller

Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
North Dallas
Currently when I select "OPTIONS"-->"Picutre-in-Picture"-->"Multiview", the box asks for my 4 digit pin. After I enter in my pin the hopper 3 stops responding and my TV says that there is no input. Is this a bug/known bug, or am I doing something wrong. The only trouble shooting I tried was restarting the box, however this did not resolve the issue. This stinks since I was trying to show it off during the CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV March Madness.

Yes, two different known bugs.
The loss of input is a HDCP problem when connected to a 4K set by HDMI only work around would be to use component and limit to HD until fixed.

Reactions: whtmakaveli
Has there been any progress or resolution for this? I just got a hopper 3 and am experiencing the same issue. I have a projector (JVC RS500U) and lose signal when switching to netflix or MultiView. Presumably this is because of the HDCP problem. No option to use component with my setup without buying a new receiver.

Going to nothing but a black screen is most likely a handshake or hardware compatibility issue. The Hopper 3.doesn't go to HDCP 2.2 for multi-view mode. Typically when it is an HDCP mis-match, the box will throw a pop-up

I have a couple questions to try to narrow down what the root cause, if you don't mind.

What kind of AVR do you have?
Have you tried bypassing it?
What other 4k sources do you have that work?
Have you tried updating the firmware/software on the AVR and Projector?

It also looks like this projector doesn't do true 4K, so there could be an issue with the way it is converting the video from the Hopper.

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks for the reply.
AVR - Denon AVRS510BT (just passes through 4k)
Yes, I have tried going straight from Hopper to the projector, result is exactly the same as going through AVR.
I have a Shield TV that outputs 4K Netflix with no issues (but the box is always outputting 4k, it doesn't switch depending on app like the hopper)
While the projector doesn't display true 4k, the inputs it accepts are fully compatible with what the hopper is supposedly outputting. In addition, the hopper doesn't even let me decide if I want to output 1080p vs 4K- they are lumped together, so I dont think that its a conversion within the projector.

Thanks

Going to nothing but a black screen is most likely a handshake or hardware compatibility issue. The Hopper 3.doesn't go to HDCP 2.2 for multi-view mode....

When connected to a 4K TV the H3 does go to 4K mode for MultiView.

I just did some more testing. When I output the hopper to the non-4K input of my AVR (there are 3 inputs for 4k and 2 for 1080p), everything works fine in that multiview is displayed in 1080i, and Netflix is in 1080p. Something is going wrong when it tries to output 4K. I doubt that it's the projector since I have other sources on the same cable that work fine.

When connected to a 4K TV the H3 does go to 4K mode for MultiView.
Outputting in 4K does not always require HDCP 2.2, just like not all HD content requires HDCP 1.1. Multiview does not require HDCP 2.2.

Whtmakaveli - can you PM me your Receiver ID. I'll have the team take a look to see what is going on.

Rob

I solved my problem by tracing the issue to a bad HDMI cable. I was using a high end monoprice 35 ft cable that was obviously not up to the task of the 4k/60hz and chroma 4:4:4 signal. I changed it out for a 25 ft amazon basics which works fine. If you are having this issue with 4k dropping out, check the cables!

Everytime I try to use multi view pip and then swap it, causes my hopper to lock up. I end up having to do a reboot to get my picture back. I'm only using hd not 4k and it still locks up.

My H3 locks up with no picture when I go to Apps, this never happened until a few days ago when the new Games app was added. I found that opening the Guide and selecting a channel will restore things.
Dan

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts