Hopper and 501's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hoppers are Hoppers and 501's are 501's, they can not intermix. If you have a Hopper Joey setup you can't use your legacy equipment at all....

1) Your 3 501's are about to be replaced with 3 512 receivers since the 501's cannot tune 8PSK transponders.

2) The reputed Dish policy is not to intermix the H/J ecosystem with any other receiver type on the same account. I have no idea why not...

3) If you mean you have a DP34 switch, then "No", that will not work with the H/J at all. Must be a DishPro Plus switch.

They offered to switch the 501 to 512's, but wanted to charge me $95 for the "tech fee" to plug the coax into the back of the 512's. I said, I'll pass for now...

Thanks for the info.

My guess is they limit Legacy and H/J mixing to avoid splitting accounts between houses, which the H/J system will essentially put an end to.

That's part of the story.

I suspect if you wait a while, you might get a very interesting offer to upgrade to H/J.

They offered to switch the 501 to 512's, but wanted to charge me $95 for the "tech fee" to plug the coax into the back of the 512's. I said, I'll pass for now...

You are aware of the fact that the 512s are dual-tuner receivers with much more space than a 501?

Yep. Still, I suspect some determined effort would get them to just mail it to you. But that's not the best deal for you, possibly. You really need to look to the future, and non-8PSK and non-MPEG-4 receivers are long in the tooth and not long for this world. Might be well to wait a month, and then look into moving to the Hopper/Joey system. Even if you are feeding secondary SDTVs. I suspect the conversion of WA receivers will be faster than any of us now imagine.

My guess is they limit Legacy and H/J mixing to avoid splitting accounts between houses, which the H/J system will essentially put an end to.

That would make sense except for the fact that you can do account stacking with every other receiver anyway. I don't think that the people that do that sort of thing will be put off by the fact that they can't use H/J.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts