Hopper and caller ID

jrhut11

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Springfield, MO
I have a 2 hopper 1 joey set that was installed on May 4th. Love the system but have noticed that hopper #2 which has the joey paired to it has stopped showing caller ID. It has not shown a incoming call for the last 7 days. I have checked to make sure it is enabled and it seems correct. It worked for 20 days then just stopped on its own. Hopper #1 functions as it is supposed to. I checked the joey a couple days ago and the caller ID was not enabled on it. I enabled it but still does not work either on it or the hopper that it is paired to. Any thoughts?

My caller ID didn't work during the initial install so the installer did a reset and that seemed to fix it. Then last week I had an issue where I unplugged all the receivers and tv's in the house because we had some really bad storms. Since then the caller ID has quit working again. I tried a reset and still nothing.

It sounds like I am not the only one that has this issue. Have not done a reset. I will try that and hope I have better luck than smokey982.

I'm actually glad you posted this because I thought I was going crazy. 2 Hoppers but only one has this problem. Only one phone jack in the room but I did change the wire connecting it. Here's the thing though...that fixed it...for awhile...then it went out again.....then it came back.... It seems to work a few days at a time and then goes out for a few days and then comes back. I was actually doing a test connection each day for awhile just to see for sure that it worked, didn't work etc.

Forgot to add, both Hoppers have Joeys paired to them.

loubon said:
I'm actually glad you posted this because I thought I was going crazy. 2 Hoppers but only one has this problem. Only one phone jack in the room but I did change the wire connecting it. Here's the thing though...that fixed it...for awhile...then it went out again.....then it came back.... It seems to work a few days at a time and then goes out for a few days and then comes back. I was actually doing a test connection each day for awhile just to see for sure that it worked, didn't work etc.

Forgot to add, both Hoppers have Joeys paired to them.

Looks like it is a bug of some sort. I am not sure what day I got version software version 212 so the problem may be the problem. I did a reset but haven't checked to see if it corrected the problem yet. I will see what happens tomorrow.

Probably like other dish receivers. They ALL seem to have quirks with caller ID working and then not working. I've seen it with many different models from 311's to 922's.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Supposedly there is to be an update to fix caller ID. It is a low priority right now so who knows when it will get fixed. Mine works after a reset but then the next time we get any kind of update it quits again. A few days after updating to 212 it started working and I thought it may be fixed but then the next day it stopped yet again.

For some reason not all subscribers are having trouble with this.

It works fine on one of my hoppers. The other one doesn't have a phone line near it. The installer told me both hoppers and all joeys would get caller ID through the duo node but apparently that isn't the case.

I'm glad to see others are having this problem too. (So that Dish will fix it.) I also have two hoppers and about 10 days ago or so, my caller ID stopped working. I checked the phone line connection and everything is connected and the hopper setting is correct. It worked before and now it doesn't. (S212?) Please Dish get this working again.
Jim K

I see that other people have this issue so I guess I will wait for a future update to perhaps correct it. To tell yo the truth the caller ID on the 922 I had as well as the Hoppers leave a little to be desired even when they work. When some people call from a cell number and I am watching tv all I can see is "wireless caller" and the first part of the number. There is no name of the person. I can recognize friends and families numbers if I can see the whole thing. I may just different from other people but for me a part of a number doesn't really tell me who it is. In my opinion that is the purpose of caller ID so you would know who was calling before picking up. I am not sure all the cell numbers don't have a name and only say wireless callers or not. I only pay attention when one comes n that way. Stepping off my soapbox now. :)

There is another thread on this and Zach from Dirt says Dish is aware and it will be fixed in a future software update. Regarding what you actually see (Wireless caller, garbled number etc) I believe (and someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong) that this comes from the phone carrier based on what they pulse out and is not a Dish issue.

loubon,
Thank you for pointing me to the other thread. I think you misunderstood about what I was seeing with my caller id when it works. The numbers are not garbled. All the numbers just do not show up when some people call from a cell phone. I understand that the name not showing up and wireless caller in its place is not a dish issue. However the fact that you can't see the complete number is because that is the way dish has evidently designed it. The 922 I had before the hopper was the same way. They are very similar in a lot of respects so I am familiar with what the normal dish thing is on this matter. I don't people call me from a cell do this but my brother in law, sister in law and 2 nephews do it for sure as well as my daughter. When I call from my cell my name is listed and the fact I can't see all the numbers is not a problem. Maybe it is just me that the last 4 digits of a telephone number is what lets me immediately recognize who it is. The area code and the first few does not do it for me. I have AT&T for phone service and it may be that this happens when someone from another carrier calls. It is only when you are watching tv that you notice it. If you go back and look at recent incoming calls the complete number shows. Without the name of course. When the phone rings the first thing I do is look at the TV to see who it is. If it is one of these calls I then have to pick up the phone and look at caller id on it to see a complete number that I will recognize. It is not a big thing but it would be nice if they had designed it so that a complete phone number would show up when you are watching TV.

I guess I'm confused because I see the whole number when a call comes from a cell phone both on the screen and in the call log. Ocassionally it will say wireless or might be garbled and that was what I was referring to before but I don't ever remember seeing part of the number missing.

I wonder why it is different. I just called from my cell to make sure the other hopper was still working. It is not. Now both hoppers do not do caller id. Maybe an update soon will correct it. I use AT&T Uverse for phone service. I don't know if some service providers have more problems.

If you do a hard reset your caller ID should/may start to work for awhile.

Sent from my DROIDX

I am not wanting to resurrect this thread but I finally got to see how many numbers I see when someone calls and I am watching tv. It is like this 1-xxx-xxx-x___. It shows the the 1 and the area code and drops the last 3 numbers. That is why when there is no name it is very hard to figure out who it is. It could be almost anyone in my area code. Like I said not really wanting to revive this thread. I assume there is nothing that can be done for the way it reads out so it is what it is.

I have not reported it to Dirt. This is working the same way that my 922 did all the time I had it so I figure it must be what they would consider normal. I also had a 722K at the same time I had the 922 and could read the number fine on it. Of course the caller ID worked on the 922 when there was an incoming call, not so much on the Hopper. I am wondering if when someone could tell me if their caller ID works like mine when they are watching tv. By that I mean showing the 1-area code then number. Maybe the 1 and - is not there for everyone else. I see no reason for those digits to take up available space and if it only showed the area code and number I would be able to see almost the complete number. Does everyone else see the 1-area code-number? Maybe it is something about the way that AT&T uVerse phone company sends that data out and it is different from other companies.