Hopper and HDHomeRun Dual

Faw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Would it be possible to anyone in contact with Dish techs (Scott/DIRT) ask about adding support for the HDHomeRun to the Hopper? That could be easily integrated with the Hopper. Connect to the network, query device for tuners and channels, query for streams. It seems easier and more practical than the OTA tuner.

Also, please make make every Slingbox app compatible with the Hopper, pretty please.... doesn't dish owns both companies?

There are multiple ways of doing that already. Obviously the OTA module for the Hopper, and of course using a Slingbox. In addition, just a Slingbox Pro is needed, giving another tuner and access from anywhere. Then there's the Sling app built into some of the newer streaming boxes for a Slingbox. I guess I'm not seeing how the HDHomeRun is any better than the OTA tuner, especially if you use sling. Then there's the little problem of using someone else's technology (Read that as paying to use it) when you have your own to use.
Now if you said make the built in Sling more like the stand alone models, I would agree.

When you say every app to be compatible, can you explain more? Slingbox apps are a complete different animal used with different technology than what Dish receivers use, they just are not going to be compatible if that's what you mean.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not seeing how the HDHomeRun is any better than the OTA tuner, especially if you use sling.

Are you serious? The HDHomeRun is dual tuner, can stream to anything with a compatible client on your LAN, and can be placed just about anywhere (attic or anywhere indoors close to the antenna). Many people have more than one HDHomeRun to get even more tuners. And they can attach to any of those tuners from multiple clients.

With the Hopper OTA Adapter, you're limited to one tuner/Hopper, you can't buy one and put it easily on multiple Hoppers without unplugging it from one and plugging it into another, and you have the issue of inability to diplex the antenna signal onto a single coax to the Hopper.

As for the Sling feature, good grief. Are you actually happy with the ghastly DishAnywhere website? I find running a browser and being beholden to Dish servers just enough of a hassle that I never use my Sling Adapter. If I had a standalone client, then I'd use it as I had always intended.

When you say every app to be compatible, can you explain more?

722 had a Sling adapter, Hopper had the same Sling adapter, Hopper 2 has the Sling software integrated. The Slingplayer software worked with the 722 + Slingadapter.

Slingbox apps are a complete different animal used with different technology than what Dish receivers use, they just are not going to be compatible if that's what you mean.

Is not different technology, is the same (Sling), they were made incompatible on purpose to separate the Slingboxes from the Dish stuff. They could easyly make it compatible if they wanted. I don't know why Dish still keeps calling it Sling, if it doesn't work with any of these Sling devices, then is why the hell is it called "Hopper with Sling". I would love to have a Slingplayer app on my Roku/Boxee/PC/Mobile/... instead we have the rarely working DishAnywhere app.

I meant the Hopper specifically, I thought was different than the previous sling adaptors? If not I stand corrected. Can the homerun be used outside the LAN? From my memory it did not work with android devices, is that still true?

Edit - I see an app for it at Google play.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)